Kwan building a rink! | Golden Skate

Kwan building a rink!

Bynx

On the Ice
It seems as though Danny Kwan is in the process of
building a new rink.

Got info from MKF:
http://pub165.ezboard.com/fmichellekwanforummkfanchat.showMessage?topicID=20328.topic

he filled out paperwork and sent it in to a place that shall remains nameless...I have a friend who works at this place ...I can't say too much because my friend might get in trouble...but this seemed like such a cool thing that I had to post it....we will see if it really is him (I'm positive it is since the 'Danny Kwan' that called in was living in Los Angeles and what are the odds that a different Danny Kwan would call in and want to build a rink)...but I guess time will tell if its true....interesting news though....

As far as I know, this "news" is true. This was reported in a Chinese newspaper last summer (?) I believe. My friend sent me a news article about it. The city officials had to meet to discuss whether they wanted a new rink in their town. If I remember correctly, it was approved. Danny Kwan is probably filing the last of the paperworks.

If this is true then methinks it would be a great place for Michelle, Karen, Peter O. to coach...after the 2006 Olympics, of course.

Yipes! So this will be La Kwan's Swan Song - A Rink of her own to train talented skaters in search of gold or silver or bronze. I presume it will go down the line to beginners, too.

Somehow after 2006, the diva will still be around.:) and giving glorious exhibitions, I hope.

My question: Do we need another rink?:D

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
We need one in Chattanooga TN. People here have been quoted as saying its the largest US city without an ice rink. I don't know if that's true or not, but it would definitely be one of the largest.

We used to have a rink in the mall, but they royally screwed us and sold it without giving us a chance to buy and relocate it. We had enough support to have done that much. The mall (which is actually just a group of businesses) wanted to make more room for an insurance company even though we already have insurance companies coming out the wazoo here. :cry:

I would be more than happy if someone wanted to build here.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This is excellent. I've read that she's very much into charity work.........I wonder if this rink would tie into that work.....this would be perfect...........42

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Wow, I hadn't heard about that at all. Serves me right for being only a casual visitor to the MK section of MKF these days, LOL :laugh: Anyway, it sounds interesting and I guess we will see what comes of it. Gotta love intriguing news right before the skating season starts!! :D

mpal - Maybe Danny will start a chain of "KwanRinks" around the country and Chatanooga will have one. That would be nice.

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
Joe,

If they did start a chain, we have people that would use it. We currently have a FS club and ice hockey club that travels anywhere that will let us in. It would be nice to have a home. :(

ladybug

On the Ice
Karen Kwan and Peter O. both coach so they would have a place to work with all the ice time they wanted. The Kwan name would be a big draw for skaters and Michelle could move right in when she is good and ready.

I think this is a smart thing for them to do.

Ladybug

IDLERACER

Medalist
There are already about 11 rinks in Los Angeles county. Michelle bought her house in Manhattan Beach, specifically because of it's close proximity to the Healthsouth rink in El Segundo (where Frank Carroll coaches and Scott Williams used to coach). Perhaps he's building one somewhere else.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
There might be 11 rinks in LA county, but they're all probably 2+ hours apart due to traffic;)

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
In a recent interview with Ekaterina G. (over at FSU) she states that when she and Ilia were living in LA, ice time was very hard to come by. Sasha Cohen sited crowded conditions in So Cal as well.