Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Quebec Summer Championships (Aug. 6th-9th)

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)

2009 Quebec Summer Championships (Aug. 6th-9th)

I've noticed there wasn't a thread for this event, so I thought I'd start one. The info for the competition is listed under "Championnats québécois d'été" http://www.patinage.qc.ca/index.asp?id=444

Some of the participants:

Sr Men:
    - Shawn Sawyer
    - Adam Rippon
    - Ian Martinez
    - Paul Poirier

(I see that Marc-André Craig is listed for the LP---I guess he's back?)

Sr Ladies:
    - Joannie Rochette (SP only)
    - Cynthia Phaneuf
    - Amélie Lacoste

Sr Pairs:
    - Dubé & Davison
    - Duhamel & Butin (SP only)
    - Brodeur & Mattatall (SP only)

Sr Dance:
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't recognize any of the couples listed. :o

For those are who are planning to attend, is there anyone who is willing to record (at least some of) the performances?
    Last edited by siberia82; 07-27-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    I don't know yet if I'll be able to record, seeing as I might be volunteering (not to mention the fact I'm quite bad at recording... seeing the program through the tiny screen drives me crazy!), but I'll try to report back on some of the top skaters' programs

-kypma

Can we get youtubes?

Okay, so I will be there all 4 days, and should be able to see most of the senior events in which the skaters are of a rather high-profile (ie. the better known ones to me, so prominent on the national and international stage). I will have my camera with me, but I don't know about taking videos because the quality will be quite bad.

If you have any request on how a particular skater (regardless of the level) does, just PM me and I will try to take some notes

-Kypma

Rinkside
    Thanks Kypma - keep your eyes open for any up and coming skaters with potential too, always fun to see them getting going as well as updates on our reputable favs!

This is also a developmental international for US, and hopefully should see some good skating in those events too.

Thanks Siber and Kypma!

I picked out from the Senior Pair that Eric Radford is now with Anne-Marie Giroux? I knew there was a rumor around because of Kirkland's inability to land jumps, but they never show signs of splitting, when did this happen? I would love to know how this new team work out
    I am also surprised that Velenosi and Fernandez did not split...

For the dance,Mylène Girard and Jonathan Pelletier are the better-known pair, they teamed up last season. It was a shame that Girard and Dougherty split in a year, they were such a good match.

Louis-Philippe Sirois landed a quad in the Challenge last year...would like to see how he develops this year...
    Last edited by gopatrick; 08-06-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopatrick View Post
    I picked out from the Senior Pair that Eric Radford is now with Anne-Marie Giroux? I knew there was a rumor around because of Kirkland's inability to land jumps, but they never show signs of splitting, when did this happen? I would love to know how this new team work out
    I think Kirkland was also getting too tall to skate pairs. They had an absolutely disastrous nationals and I think many people predicted then that they would split. Eric is a great partner and I wish him luck with Anne-Marie!

I cant wait to hear what Shawn is skating to

On the Ice
    If it is convenient,please take videos for Dubé & Davison,I expect for their programs very much!Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by zizi; 08-07-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Not much to report on today, excet that the winner in Pre-Juvenile Men's has a double lutz, and the few others I saw had double flips and loops, so the lutz wasn't totally out of place. Which leaves me wondering: if there are double Lutzes in Pre-juvenile, what separates Pre-juvenile from Juvenile and even pre-novice??

Also, pre-juvenile dance compulsories with the Canasta tango and Baby Blues is just plain adorable

International news - wise, Team USA in practice was looking pretty good. Especially after sitting through so many pre-novice ladies short programs.

Probably more to report tomorrow,

-kypma

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    International news - wise, Team USA in practice was looking pretty good.
    Thanks for your mini-report! Keep 'em coming please.

Here's the link to the official results page (looks like results are being uploaded the same day): http://www.patinage.qc.ca/doc/result..._ETE_2009.html

Competition schedule (in English): http://www.patinage.qc.ca/doc/pdf/00..._2009_Engl.pdf
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks for your mini-report! Keep 'em coming please.
    I would, Sylvia, if I could tell you more! Unfortunately, there was no list naming the skaters at practice, so all I can say is that one guy was having issues with his triple flip, one girl had a very nice 2A-2A sequence, another had very nice, tight-rotation jumps... I'll see if they have another practice tomorrow, I only found out about today's by accident and only caught the last part! I overheard one (Canadian) pre-novice girl going on about how she'd been beated by a(n American) girl who had 2A, 3S, 3T in her program, so I'd say I wouldn't be surprised to see some American skaters near the top of the result lists

If there are any specific skaters you'd like me to take notes on, just ask away! I am volunteering, so while I might not be able to see all of the events I'll do my best. It's also easier when I know I'm looking out for specific skaters of interest.

-Kypma

Custom Title
    Here's USFS' press release on the U.S. Developmental Team competing in Canada this month: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43330
    U.S. Entries at Quebec Summer Championships, Aug. 6-9

Senior Ladies
    Christina Gao, Samantha Cesario

Junior Ladies
    Haley Dunne, Mary Beth Marley, Christine Mozer, Kendall Wyckoff

Novice Ladies
    Courtney Hicks, Katarina Kulgeyko

Junior Men
    Allen Gaghinjian

Novice Men
    Timothy Dolensky

Junior Pairs
    Olivia Gibbons & Tyler Harris

Novice Pairs
    Kaitlin Budd & Matthew Blackmer, Meredith Pipkin & Brett Dunie-Neustadt, Marissa Spector & Christopher Nolan

Novice Dance
    Danvi Pham & Vu Pham
    Just to cite a few: Christina Gao skated very well at Skate Detroit last month (video links are posted in the Skate Detroit thread - posts #33 & 41) and is an alternate to the JGP; Haley Dunne won the Junior Ladies Final at Liberty last month; Katarina Kulgeyko is the current U.S. Intermediate (Pre-Novice) champion; Pham/Pham are competing in Lake Placid this week (see the Lake Placid Ice Dance thread for photo links - here's one action photo of the Phams) and are the the U.S. Intermediate silver medalists in dance.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-07-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: to add links to videos, photos

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's USFS' press release on the U.S. Developmental Team competing in Canada this month: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43330

Just to cite a few: Christina Gao skated very well at Skate Detroit last month (video links are posted in the Skate Detroit thread) and is an alternate to the JGP; Haley Dunne won the Junior Ladies Final at Liberty last month; Katarina Kulgeyko is the current U.S. Intermediate (Pre-Novice) champion; Pham/Pham are competing in Lake Placid this week (see the Lake Placid Ice Dance thread for photo links) and are the the U.S. Intermediate silver medalists in dance.

Have fun!
    Also, Adam Rippon is listed as senior men.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I overheard one (Canadian) pre-novice girl going on about how she'd been beated by a(n American) girl who had 2A, 3S, 3T in her program, so I'd say I wouldn't be surprised to see some American skaters near the top of the result lists
    There weren't any American girls entered in Pre-Novice, so that doesn't seem possible.

Three US ladies (Katarina Kulgeyko, Courtney Hicks, Cassandra Shaw) are entered in Novice, but only Juvenile and Pre-Novice events were held yesterday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast