2009 Quebec Summer Championships (Aug. 6th-9th) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2009 Quebec Summer Championships (Aug. 6th-9th)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Medusa

Record Breaker
Javier Rava (started among juniors) landed a Triple Axel in his long program with less than -1 GOE. :rock::rock: And a couple of other clean Triples, including a Lutz. That "Let's develop Spanish skaters"-program is coming along nicely.

i love to skate

Medalist
If anybody was able to watch, I would love to hear comments on Jess and Bryce's new programs as well as Jo's short program. Many thanks! :clap:

Kypma

Final Flight
Wow, sorry I missed yesterday, I got home late and was back at the rink at 7:30 this morning. Anywho.

Of the senior women, there were so many that I concentrated on last year's National podium, and even then...

Joannie landed a nice triple lutz-triple toe in warmup, but in her short it seemed the Lutz wasn't great and she doubled the toe. Personally, I would have liked to see her go for it, seeing as the Lutz in warmup wasn't completely perfect either, but it is early in the season. Otherwise the program looked good, although the fact she was wearing her Tchaikovsky SP dress was slightly distracting. I think having a tango exhibition program helped her express this one well! She didn't compete her long program here.

Cynthia had a nice short as well, although I'm not sure if it's the same as last year's or not. The music sounds familiar, but for all I know someone else could have skated to it... in the short I really got the impression that both Cynthia and Amélie Lacoste were vying for the place behind Joannie, with an edge to Cynthia for the Olympics but maybe Worlds (depending on what happens at the Olympics, or if it's rather close between Cynthia and Amélie) or at least 4 Continents for Amélie. One thing I noticed about Cynthia is that she has very nice, high, powerful jumps, especially when she does singles just to get started. In particular, she tends to do a split Lutz, as in she picks, jumpts up, does a partial split (not 180°) and then closes, rotates, and lands. It would be a nice move to put in gala programs!
Her long program is the same as last year, and really showcases her power, so all in all I think it's a good idea for her to have kept it. She had a few falls, popped both Lutzes (it's a shame she doesn't rotate and fall), but overall the program has a majestic feel and would be very nice at the Olympics!! On the other hand, Amélie was rather underwhelming in the long, and she knew it -- she looked very disappointed at the end, but hopefully she can put this behind her and keep on improving in the next few years.

The Senior men (both short and long, at least partially) were nice to see, although, since I don't take notes (it didn't occur to me until late this afternoon...), I can't say much.

Paul Poirier (of ice dancers Vanessa Crone and Poirier) had a good rhythmic short -- he follows his music closely on the beats, which is always nice to see. He popped the flip, quite late in the program, but otherwise it was enjoyable and I'll suppose he's concentrating on dance this year :) Saw him several times yesterday and today, never had the courage to talk to him to ask for a picture and autograph, although, after siberia82's account, I'm wishing I had. There's always next time! (Maybe Skate Canada International if I can keep up with my schoolwork until the end of term).

Shawn Sawyer also looked good, although, from a quick glance at the protocols, he under-rotated his triple Axel again in the SP. It's a pity he doesn't rotate before falling, because such a deduction is rather costly, especially when chasing a second Olympic berth. He's keeping last year's gorgeous Amadeus long program, and if he can consistently put out performances like Skate Canada last year, it would put him in a good place to take the second men's Olympic spot.

In Senior dance, Jamie Forsythe looks good with his new partner, Laurence Darveau, although she fell in the Tango Romantica. Otherwise, he looks better than last year, especially in the lifts, which I recall were quite scratchy at last year's Summer Provincials. Otherwise I didn't pay much attention, seeing as I was working backstage for the ODs and the FDs were at the same time as the Ladies' LPs. There was good variety in the ODs among senior and juniors, I must say. The costumes were really cool!

In Senior pairs, 5 of the 8 withdrew from the short program, which caused quite a stir for the ice captains and dressing room people, who ran about until it was concluded that we couldn't change the groups and there would be 2 separate warmups for 3 pairs.

Anne-Marie Giroux and Eric Radford looked good in the short, despite the music issues, with a nice airy double twist and decent side-by-side double Axels (hers was a little tight, but otherwise clean). Their spins were very well synchronised for a new team, and better than several other teams, I'd say. Everyone was quite impressed, judging by the applause following that element! Their long was messier, with Anne-Marie missing several jumps, but whether it's chronic or just this once is hard to tell. Although she looks good with Eric, I find it's a very different look from the one he had with Rachel Kirkland, and I miss the long lines. If Anne-Marie can get her jumps under control, though, it will be nice to see how far this pair can progress.

Mylène Brodeur and John Mattatal have a very nice short program to an instrumental version (was it violin? I've forgotten) "What a Wonderful World", and I wish Canada had 4 spots in pairs for the Olympics, because everyone seems to deserving. Athletically speaking, I'd still wish we had 3. Mylène fell on the triple toe, but the worst part was a doule fall on the pair spin, where she was in an I-spin position and must have caught her toe pick. Luckily, there was no injury, but I think the fall shook them up and the rest wasn't as great as it will develop to be, I hope.

Saving the absolute best for last, I've fallen in love with Jessica and Bryce's long program. As blah as Carmen was at some point last season, this one, even with a few missteps and a fall, really impressed me and I can't wait to see it at the Olympics. The music ending is powerful and their expression of the program is wonderful -- the story was obvious to me without even knowing of the story of "The way we were" (assuming that was the music, as stated a few weeks ago in an article, seeing as I don't know the movie), and I've checked the essentials with my parents. I think this could become a masterpiece, and I'd be interested in knowing who choreographed it. David Wilson? It seems like his type of program -- something wonderful with good choreography and telling a great story. It seems to me like a couple now separated, as Jessica is moving away from Bryce in the beginning and the end, reminescing (sp?) on their love past ("the way we were"), and, from what we know of what happened to their relationship, I think the program works really well. It has the romantic feel they're so great at, and probably without the tension of always acting in love like "The Blower's Daughter". All in all, I love this program, even though today Bryce fell on the first double Axel and their last lift came down early. Bryce didn't seem to be quite over his feet today, seeing as their off-ice warmup lifts (I could see them from across the arena during the junior pairs) were wonderful, and they are known for solid lifts, and he hasn't fallen on a jump in competition in a long while. I'll attribute this to it being early and a relatively new program -- recall they originally were going to keep "Carmen" -- and after seeing this one, I'm glad they changed; frankly, I really, really think this program is a masterpiece and, if skated cleanly, is worthy of an Olympic medal. It was that impressive, even with it being the early season and all (and I saw a LOT of programs over the last 4 days!).

Yes, I was amazed, and can't wait to see Jessica and Bryce's long program in international competition :clap: :bow: :yes: :love:

-Kypma

(sorry for the redundancy, bad syntax and messy post, I'm quite tired now after the last 4 days at the arena!)

If there's anything else you want to ask, you can always try, although my memory is a little fuzzy. I'm not used to trying to remember details to pass them on...

PS Jessica and Bryce still had the 3Lz throw, on which she has a very soft knee to save even slightly off throws, and from the protocols it seems they did a triple twist -- it looked easy and airy enough for me to think it was just a double!

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Thank you so much for the reports Kypma! I can't wait to see Jess and Bryce's program now... I was excited before when I heard they were ditching Carmen but now I am ecstatic! Glad to hear about the improvements on the triple twist. They are headed in the right direction I think :thumbsup:

Kypma

Final Flight
More comments... wow, Mylène Girard and Jonathan Pelletier actually competed their OD at both Lake Placid and in Pierrefonds!! Speaking of which, Jonathan in his "sultan" costume and in skates is very, very tall and imposing -- Marie-France (who is absolutely tiny!! She looks so much taller on television/when skating, but really, she's probably barely over 5 feet tall) was joking about it while they waited backstage. He was towering over everyone, and with the bright gold, he couldn't be missed!

Also, Adam Rippon withdrew from both of his events -- does anyone know why? Brian Orser was there at least 3 days, so there were definitely skaters from Toronto who were competing... Then again, the number of withdrawals in Seniors is almost expected to be high by the organisers, so maybe it's not that unusual. Still would have liked to see his programs for the Olympic year, though :(

There were very few Russian-themed ODs, although Austrian / yodeling ones seemed to be popular with the Juveniles and Juniors/Seniors, and I heard some Italian, Lebanese (I think...), saw a costume which could be seen as Egyptian or Middle Eastern, and some Spanish / Latin American. Without song titles or being able to see entire programs, it was kind of hard to figure out exactly what type of folk is was. That being said, even the dancers noted the variety and seemed to be pleased with it. I actually didn't hear Kalinka or Dark Eyes, if I can remember correctly. Granted, I didn't see that many couples, but maybe, now that I think of it, Spanish is the new Russian?

Does anyone know if Sarah Jones/Jeremy Sandor are planning on competing junior or senior this year? Their jump content seemed to suggest junior competition (double flips in the SP), so maybe they were just competing Seniors here for the experience? Or, if there is a program length / element difference between Juniors and Seniors (I can't remember anymore...), then maybe this is a preparation for competing Nationals as Seniors, since they were 2nd in Juniors last year.

More later if I can think of anything of interest,

-Kypma

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, Adam Rippon withdrew from both of his events -- does anyone know why?

-Kypma

His withdrawal may have something to do with his participation in the Seoul, Korea ice show, "Samsung Anycall-Hauzen Ice All Stars 2009" that is this week, 8/14 - 8/16. Maybe he thought it would be a better idea to rest up and avoid exhaustion. That would be a lot of skating and traveling in such a short amount of time, especially for someone as young as Adam.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Paul Poirier (of ice dancers Vanessa Crone and Poirier) had a good rhythmic short -- he follows his music closely on the beats, which is always nice to see. He popped the flip, quite late in the program, but otherwise it was enjoyable and I'll suppose he's concentrating on dance this year :) Saw him several times yesterday and today, never had the courage to talk to him to ask for a picture and autograph, although, after siberia82's account, I'm wishing I had. There's always next time! (Maybe Skate Canada International if I can keep up with my schoolwork until the end of term).

I was terrified as hell when I approached Paul, not knowing what to expect, but he really is a nice person! :yes: Don't be afraid the next time; I encourage you to say "hi" to him when the opportunity presents itself again. :)

I brushed shoulders with Elladj Baldé while I was trying to reach one of the rinks, and I realized at that moment, "Hmm, I wonder why he decided not to compete?" I also saw Joannie Rochette, Ian Martinez, and Dubé & Davidson up-close, but they looked busy when I spotted them, so I decided not to bother them.

I had missed the autograph session with Shawn Sawyer (I arrived too late) :banging:. I was still a bit early for the men's SP, so I sat on a bench to look for my water bottle in my large handbag, and that's when Shawn suddenly appeared. He ended up doing his warm-up routine (e.g. stretching, floor exercises, practicing jumps, etc.) right in front of me. Holy crap, it took all of the discipline in the world for me not to drool over his gorgeous physique! :laugh: (His warm-up clothes don't leave much to the imagination. :p)

I could feel that were my cheeks beet red, but I don't think Shawn noticed (or he probably didn't care). I was half-staring at him, half-fiddling with my handbag (to make it look like I had a reason to stay on that bench). My brain urged me to leave, but my heart ordered my body to remain seated. It was both exciting and awkward!

In case anyone is looking forward to this, I'm currently uploading the vids I made of the men's LP on to YouTube. I'll post the URLs soon.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Here are the performances I recorded yesterday evening (I hope someone can help me identify the music):

Shawn Sawyer SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvYjyQF_tE0

:rock::clap::bow::love:

I had missed the autograph session with Shawn Sawyer (I arrived too late) :banging:. I was still a bit early for the men's SP, so I sat on a bench to look for my water bottle in my large handbag, and that's when Shawn suddenly appeared. He ended up doing his warm-up routine (e.g. stretching, floor exercises, practicing jumps, etc.) right in front of me. Holy crap, it took all of the discipline in the world for me not to drool over his gorgeous physique! :laugh: (His warm-up clothes don't leave much to the imagination. :p)

I could feel that were my cheeks beet red, but I don't think Shawn noticed (or he probably didn't care). I was half-staring at him, half-fiddling with my handbag (to make it look like I had a reason to stay on that bench). My brain urged me to leave, but my heart ordered my body to remain seated. It was both exciting and awkward!

:love::love::love: Im sure my boyfriend would have been over it, but I would have been sitting next to you enjoying the show:laugh::yes:

Is there an icon for swoon?;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2009 US Junior bronze medalist Christina Gao easily won the Senior Ladies FS. She landed 5 triple jumps, including two lutzes and two flips.

Three US ladies swept the Junior podium: Haley Dunne, Christine Mozer and Kendall Wyckoff; Mary Beth Marley was 5th (2nd in the FS). Haley scored 81.53 in the FS for a total of 122.50.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Just wanted to point out that medals were awarded separately for the SP and FS events -- the scores were not combined at this competition.

This is the second consecutive FS event win for Haley Dunne (5th in Junior Ladies at 2009 Eastern Sectionals) -- she also won the Liberty FS Final last month with a score of 85.14 and landed her first 3Lutz in competition there as well as in her Quebec FS.

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:love::love::love: Im sure my boyfriend would have been over it, but I would have been sitting next to you enjoying the show:laugh::yes:

:rofl: Trust me, the fantastic view is totally worth your boyfriend's wrath. ;)

Is there an icon for swoon?;)

Not on this forum, but I wish we had one. I can't fully express the heart-fluttering daze Shawn put me under! :love:

Just wanted to point out that medals were awarded separately for the SP and FS events -- the scores were not combined at this competition.

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that.

Here are the performances I've captured yesterday afternoon:

Shawn Sawyer LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M619By2xly4
Ian Martinez LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dRo0UfdOfw
Marc-André Craig LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKeuaPqQqrc
Paul Poirier LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYK6aE21X-I

I now regret not filming Louis-Philippe Sirois's free skate. I only realized halfway through his performance that I enjoyed his skating style (even though he struggled through most of his jumps).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
2009 US Junior bronze medalist Christina Gao easily won the Senior Ladies FS. She landed 5 triple jumps, including two lutzes and two flips.

She certainly is one to watch in the upcoming years. How old is she 13?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Is there someone who would know, if the competition (quebec summer championships 2009) will be telecast.

I say that because I noticed that during the competition for senior lady, there was a man with a camera that read "Media" and he have filming Amélie Lacoste, Cynthia Phaneuf and Joannie Rochette.

Is what it would mean he will get this event on TV.

Does someone have an idea? :)

Kypma

Final Flight
Is there someone who would know, if the competition (quebec summer championships 2009) will be telecast.

I say that because I noticed that during the competition for senior lady, there was a man with a camera that read "Media" and he have filming Amélie Lacoste, Cynthia Phaneuf and Joannie Rochette.

I noticed the camera, too, although I'm not sure it filmed the programs. It was probably for a short newscast kind of thing, though :( Or maybe some material for upcoming fluffs about summer training or something along those lines...

-kypma

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I would be very suprised if summer monitoring competitions like this one where skaters debut programs would be televised to the public. I would imagine it's more for coaching purposes for later viewing or as property of Skate Canada for their internal purposes to keep a check on the athletes' conditioning in preparation for the Olympics. I know in past years Skate Canada has pulled youtube videos of this summer competition so that they could not be viewed by the public. It seems too hard to believe that they would now volunteer a public broadcast.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

On the Ice
It's an Olympic Year!

My guess would be that the camera belonged to either CTV or TSN - both official broadcasters of the 2010 Games. I know that Brian Williams of TSN/CTV has been doing features across the country on all the Olympic sports since Canadians in Halifax 2007. Since all three women are aiming for those Olympic berths - this summer competition was the perfect photo-op to have in the can for those Olympic mini-series spots that we love during zamboni breaks!