2009 Quebec Summer Championships (Aug. 6th-9th) | Golden Skate

2009 Quebec Summer Championships (Aug. 6th-9th)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've noticed there wasn't a thread for this event, so I thought I'd start one. The info for the competition is listed under "Championnats québécois d'été" http://www.patinage.qc.ca/index.asp?id=444

Some of the participants:

Sr Men:
- Shawn Sawyer
- Adam Rippon
- Ian Martinez
- Paul Poirier

(I see that Marc-André Craig is listed for the LP---I guess he's back?)

Sr Ladies:
- Joannie Rochette (SP only)
- Cynthia Phaneuf
- Amélie Lacoste

Sr Pairs:
- Dubé & Davison
- Duhamel & Butin (SP only)
- Brodeur & Mattatall (SP only)

Sr Dance:
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't recognize any of the couples listed. :eek:

For those are who are planning to attend, is there anyone who is willing to record (at least some of) the performances?

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
I don't know yet if I'll be able to record, seeing as I might be volunteering (not to mention the fact I'm quite bad at recording... seeing the program through the tiny screen drives me crazy!), but I'll try to report back on some of the top skaters' programs :)

-kypma

Kypma

Final Flight
Okay, so I will be there all 4 days, and should be able to see most of the senior events in which the skaters are of a rather high-profile (ie. the better known ones to me, so prominent on the national and international stage). I will have my camera with me, but I don't know about taking videos because the quality will be quite bad.

If you have any request on how a particular skater (regardless of the level) does, just PM me and I will try to take some notes :)

-Kypma

OnTheEdge

Rinkside
Thanks Kypma - keep your eyes open for any up and coming skaters with potential too, always fun to see them getting going as well as updates on our reputable favs!

This is also a developmental international for US, and hopefully should see some good skating in those events too.:agree:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Thanks Siber and Kypma!

I picked out from the Senior Pair that Eric Radford is now with Anne-Marie Giroux? I knew there was a rumor around because of Kirkland's inability to land jumps, but they never show signs of splitting, when did this happen? I would love to know how this new team work out :)
I am also surprised that Velenosi and Fernandez did not split...

For the dance,Mylène Girard and Jonathan Pelletier are the better-known pair, they teamed up last season. It was a shame that Girard and Dougherty split in a year, they were such a good match.

Louis-Philippe Sirois landed a quad in the Challenge last year...would like to see how he develops this year...

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
I picked out from the Senior Pair that Eric Radford is now with Anne-Marie Giroux? I knew there was a rumor around because of Kirkland's inability to land jumps, but they never show signs of splitting, when did this happen? I would love to know how this new team work out :)

I think Kirkland was also getting too tall to skate pairs. They had an absolutely disastrous nationals and I think many people predicted then that they would split. Eric is a great partner and I wish him luck with Anne-Marie!

zizi

Rinkside
If it is convenient,please take videos for Dubé & Davison,I expect for their programs very much!Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
Not much to report on today, excet that the winner in Pre-Juvenile Men's has a double lutz, and the few others I saw had double flips and loops, so the lutz wasn't totally out of place. Which leaves me wondering: if there are double Lutzes in Pre-juvenile, what separates Pre-juvenile from Juvenile and even pre-novice??

Also, pre-juvenile dance compulsories with the Canasta tango and Baby Blues is just plain adorable :)

International news - wise, Team USA in practice was looking pretty good. Especially after sitting through so many pre-novice ladies short programs.

Probably more to report tomorrow,

-kypma

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
Thanks for your mini-report! Keep 'em coming please. :)

I would, Sylvia, if I could tell you more! Unfortunately, there was no list naming the skaters at practice, so all I can say is that one guy was having issues with his triple flip, one girl had a very nice 2A-2A sequence, another had very nice, tight-rotation jumps... I'll see if they have another practice tomorrow, I only found out about today's by accident and only caught the last part! I overheard one (Canadian) pre-novice girl going on about how she'd been beated by a(n American) girl who had 2A, 3S, 3T in her program, so I'd say I wouldn't be surprised to see some American skaters near the top of the result lists :)

If there are any specific skaters you'd like me to take notes on, just ask away! I am volunteering, so while I might not be able to see all of the events I'll do my best. It's also easier when I know I'm looking out for specific skaters of interest.

-Kypma

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's USFS' press release on the U.S. Developmental Team competing in Canada this month: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43330
U.S. Entries at Quebec Summer Championships, Aug. 6-9

Senior Ladies
Christina Gao, Samantha Cesario

Junior Ladies
Haley Dunne, Mary Beth Marley, Christine Mozer, Kendall Wyckoff

Novice Ladies
Courtney Hicks, Katarina Kulgeyko

Junior Men
Allen Gaghinjian

Novice Men
Timothy Dolensky

Junior Pairs
Olivia Gibbons & Tyler Harris

Novice Pairs
Kaitlin Budd & Matthew Blackmer, Meredith Pipkin & Brett Dunie-Neustadt, Marissa Spector & Christopher Nolan

Novice Dance
Danvi Pham & Vu Pham
Just to cite a few: Christina Gao skated very well at Skate Detroit last month (video links are posted in the Skate Detroit thread - posts #33 & 41) and is an alternate to the JGP; Haley Dunne won the Junior Ladies Final at Liberty last month; Katarina Kulgeyko is the current U.S. Intermediate (Pre-Novice) champion; Pham/Pham are competing in Lake Placid this week (see the Lake Placid Ice Dance thread for photo links - here's one action photo of the Phams) and are the the U.S. Intermediate silver medalists in dance.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

bibi

On the Ice
Here's USFS' press release on the U.S. Developmental Team competing in Canada this month: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43330

Just to cite a few: Christina Gao skated very well at Skate Detroit last month (video links are posted in the Skate Detroit thread) and is an alternate to the JGP; Haley Dunne won the Junior Ladies Final at Liberty last month; Katarina Kulgeyko is the current U.S. Intermediate (Pre-Novice) champion; Pham/Pham are competing in Lake Placid this week (see the Lake Placid Ice Dance thread for photo links) and are the the U.S. Intermediate silver medalists in dance.

Have fun! :)

Also, Adam Rippon is listed as senior men.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I overheard one (Canadian) pre-novice girl going on about how she'd been beated by a(n American) girl who had 2A, 3S, 3T in her program, so I'd say I wouldn't be surprised to see some American skaters near the top of the result lists :)

There weren't any American girls entered in Pre-Novice, so that doesn't seem possible.

Three US ladies (Katarina Kulgeyko, Courtney Hicks, Cassandra Shaw) are entered in Novice, but only Juvenile and Pre-Novice events were held yesterday.

Kypma

Final Flight
There weren't any American girls entered in Pre-Novice, so that doesn't seem possible.

Three US ladies (Katarina Kulgeyko, Courtney Hicks, Cassandra Shaw) are entered in Novice, but only Juvenile and Pre-Novice events were held yesterday.

This happened during practice, though, so I don't know which events they are entered in. Maybe the girl was pre-novice last year, or something to that effect, I'm not too sure :think:

Otherwise, yesterday I watched the Junior men, which were quite impressive even with some missed jumps; after all, after sitting through endless groups of pre-novice and novice ladies, it was a nice change to see triple-triple combinations :) No one really stood out, although all of them seemed to make good efforts and one skater in particular missed his Lutz several times in warmup but landed it in the program, so that was nice. Also, Shaquille Davis has a really neat entry into his flying sit spin, it's kind of like a twizzle and suddenly he jumps up and spins right upon landing.

I overheard that Camille Caron, in pre-novice ladies, has been winning several competitions, and was first in both her short and long program groups. Her long has nice doubles (all 3 combinations were double-doubles, better than many competitiors who had singles as the second jump, whether intentional or not), good spins (including a Bielmann which drew applause from the crowd!), and a nice program overall, so I'd say she would be one to follow. However, since Nationals are now only for Junior and Senior, it'll be a while before we see her in a larger competition.

Pre-novice pairs was okay, one team had a very nice double twist (the other 2 had singles) and good lifts, and is it possible I saw side-by-side double axels in another team? I don't think so (then again, after the double Lutz in pre-juvenile men, I'm kind of confused), but they were very tidy jumps, with tight legs/ankles and good synchronisation.

I didn't stay to watch Novice pairs, seeing as Junior men were on at the same time, but all 3 teams were American; so much for the Quebec Summer Championships!! :laugh: Glad to have you guys, though, it makes for some interesting competition -- junior men's starting order was an American, followed by a Spanish skater, and then a Canadian. Talk about international :)

-Kypma

Sylvia

Record Breaker
All I've heard so far is that the 2009 U.S. Intermediate champ, Katarina Kulgeyko, won Novice Ladies SP Group 3 yesterday scoring 41 pts.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Kypma!

ETA more unofficial results:

Jr. Men SP top 6 Gagnon 49.02, Gaghinjian (US) 45.05, Davis 44.48, Morais 43.36, Raya (Spain) 43.13, Deschamps 42.98.

Novice Ladies SP - US competitors Kulgeyko 41.27, Hicks 32.59 Both won their groups

Novice Pairs SP Budd/Blackmer 35.86, Pipkin/DunieNeustadt 33.40, Spector/Nolan 33.31
Novice Pairs FS - Pipkin/DunieNeustadt 56.22, Budd/Blackmer 55.25, Spector/Nolan 54.06, Desjardins/Blodeau 52.41

Jr Ladies SP top 8 of 42: Kendall Wyckoff (US) 46.43, Christine Mozer (US) 45.43, Julianna Sagaria 43.23, Haley Dunne (US) 40.97, Dion 38.31 [Ann-Julie or Laurie?], Roxanne Rheault 37.86, Rylie McCulloch-Casarsa 37.65, Mary Beth Marley (US) 37.26

Courtney Hicks (US) won her Novice FS group with 65 pts.

Some photos of the U.S. Developmental International team skaters: http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photogallery/year_2009/month_08/day_07/cf6295952.html

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
More tweeted unofficial results from yesterday's events, thanks to U.S. competitor Kendall Wyckoff: http://twitter.com/KendallWyckoff
Senior Ladies top 8 of 21: Joannie Rochette 65.08, Cynthia Phaneuf 63.40, Amelie Lacoste 57.28, Christina Gao (US) 48.68, Myriane Samson 46.28, Vanessa Sauriol 44.17, Samantha Cesario (US) 43.53, Sonia Lafuente (Spain) 41.87

Junior Pairs SP top 4 of 6: Takahashi/Tran (Japan) 48.06, Jorg/Koenderink (Netherlands) 35.74, Young/Young 34.92, Gibbons/Harris (US) 34.39

Novice Men - top 2: Alexandre Vaugeois 35.28, Timothy Dolensky (US) 35.21

Katarina Kulgeyko (US) won her Novice FS Group 3 with 63.52 pts.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I attended the men's event, and I managed to jot down the SP scores which were posted on the wall (I hope I didn't make any mistakes):

1. Shawn Sawyer 64.57
2. Ian Martinez 56.47
3. Louis-Philippe Sirois 51.42
4. Paul Poirier 51.24
5. Dave Ferland 46.91
6. Sébastien Wolfe 45.10
7. Dominic Rondeau 42.97
8. Benjamin Tidy 40.70
9. Mathieu Chassé 37.41
10. Paul Parkison 35.96
11. David Struthers 34.63
Adam Rippon WD

The guys have already completed the free skate a couple of hours ago, but the results weren't available before I had to leave the arena.

Last edited: