Jenny Kirk's Blog: The Quad | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jenny Kirk's Blog: The Quad

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Less the "eight/nine quads" fact and more the complete lack of level four footwork (though five guys landed quads in the short at Worlds 08).

I thought Chan was special because he was able to get level four this season, but I also assumed that skaters like Takahasi, Buttle (Lambiel?) would've gotten them in 07/08, but they didn't at Worlds. To me, that follows through on your comment that there's something off about the grading/assigning of levels in terms of the footwork. Again, like you said, it is clear what a quad is and despite the arguments about under-rotations etc, it's definitely clearer than the rules about footwork.

So my statement wasn't criticizing you or your comments (which I find lucid and informative) but my own assumptions (aka, it's not so much that Chan's special but that the rules and level calling are not entirely clear. Well, Chan's still special). Sorry that wasn't clear.

I like the COP - I like the fact that artistry is driven by the athleticism now - I won't deny, but I agree that changes need to be made.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought Chan was special because he was able to get level four this season, but I also assumed that skaters like Takahasi, Buttle (Lambiel?) would've gotten them in 07/08, but they didn't at Worlds. To me, that follows through on your comment that there's something off about the grading/assigning of levels in terms of the footwork. Again, like you said, it is clear what a quad is and despite the arguments about under-rotations etc, it's definitely clearer than the rules about footwork.

So my statement wasn't criticizing you or your comments (which I find lucid and informative) but my own assumptions (aka, it's not so much that Chan's special but that the rules and level calling are not entirely clear. Well, Chan's still special). Sorry that wasn't clear.
Thanks for posting, it's always difficult with online communication to be sure what someone means, even with well-written posts :). I have to give credit where it's due - Chan is certainly one of the best active skaters when it comes to footwork. That a level 4 is rare even for the very best indicates that the system needs further work in this area.

CoP-wise, the difference between a quad toe and a triple toe is 5.8 points.

The difference between a level four step sequence and a level three is 0.6 points (3.9 versus 3.3).

Both are exhausing, in terms of the amount of energy required. How hard will a skater be willing to work for an extra six tenths of a point?