I caught a Kenai King! | Golden Skate

I caught a Kenai King!

Blue Bead

Medalist
Hats off to Toni! A 40 pounder!!! Wow! :clap:

Reading this has made my arms and shoulders start aching, LOL.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hee hee, shoulders and arms were fine (and still are after target practice with my .270 last night) but I have a horrible sunburn from Wednesday's fishing trip!

Medusa

Record Breaker
The only Kenai I know is this one - and when I read the title of the thread I thought that you captured a grizzly or some kind of bear.

But congrats of course! You made me all hungry.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The only Kenai I know is this one - and when I read the title of the thread I thought that you captured a grizzly or some kind of bear..

LOL! Yeah gotta love Disney's take on the Northern most natives... Kenai is short for Kenae-tze tribe (I can't spell it to save my life and I grew up here) which is the name of the tribe that lived in this region... they never travelled to Canada or to the panhandle as far as anyone can tell... and yet in the Disney film you have "Kenai, Sitka, and Denali" as brothers... so all of AK is represented pretty much... but then the moose have Canadian accents (eh?) so it doesn't work in my mind... but it's a good movie (Kenai is more like a Kodiak bear in his looks, which is also odd lol)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Good catch :thumbsup: Many nice meals out of that King I believe.

Thanks for sharing your photos. I looked up the river in Wikipedia. Great suroundings.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Toni....Do you practice catch-and-release or do you keep the fish for eating? If so, how many pounds of flesh can you get out of a King Salmon after it's fileted?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terrific Toni!!! Wow, super big fish.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I do both keeping and catch and release. We keep most of what we catch because that's how the family eats in the winter time. groceries are EXPENSIVE in Alaska (even in the cities like Anchorage) and so we eat mainly off the land and buy essentials at the store during winter months. Most of the fish is used as either eating, or bait. We fillet most of the fish. Mine is actually fish steak and the family will be eating off of it tonight (ironically I don't like fish, period, and haven't for some time - too much of a good thing, I guess - so I don't know what I'm having lol) other parts - the roe, tail, and 'trimmings' are used as bait for several types of catches...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just a bump to say that I've uploaded more photos from my vacation with family... more fishing (everyone remember Duane, aka the little brother? - he's all growed up in the photos!) and a few of my dad and I out at the Rifle range (dad has my mom's dad's black powder rifles - civil war era replicas - that he took out there and shot, pretty cool)