Indy Pairs Challenge (July 31-Aug. 2) | Golden Skate

Indy Pairs Challenge (July 31-Aug. 2)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The Host Club is Indiana/World Skating Academy FSC in Indianapolis, Indiana. The competition venue is located in the Pan American Plaza in downtown Indianapolis.
Link to Club's Event Info page: http://www.iwsafsc.org/competitions.html
Link to Schedule/Official Results page: http://www.iwsafsc.org/indy_chal_2009.htm

* = new team in 2009-10
[J] = JGP age-eligible team

SENIOR PAIRS (21 teams)

Short program starting order (Friday, July 31, 2009):

Brooke Paulin/Brian Shales (CAN)
*Jennifer Brunn/Steven Elefante
Paige Lawrence/Rudolph Swiegers (CAN)
Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin
Jessica Rose Paetsch/Drew Meekins
*Brittany Chase/Grant Marron
*Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin
Erika Choi Smith/Nathan Bartholomay
Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett
Kendra Moyle/Steven Pottenger
Lisa Moore/Justin Gaumond
Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen
Brooke Castile/Ben Okolski
*Amanda Dobbs/Joseph Jacobsen
Sara Jones/Jeremy Sandor (CAN) [J]
*Kaleigh Hole/Adam Johnson (CAN) [J]
Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig
Laura Lepzinski/Ethan Burgess
Andrea Best/Trevor Young
*Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch (CAN)
Chloe Katz/Joseph Lynch
Withdrawn:
Tracy Tanovich/Michael Chau
Amanda Velenosi/Mark Fernandez (CAN) [J]

JUNIOR PAIRS (16 teams)

*Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth [J]
Katie Bobak/Matthew Penasse (CAN) [J]
Haven Denney/Daniel Raad
Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller [J]
Vladyslava Rybka/Andriy Deputat (UKR)
Tori Vollmer/Zack Sidhu [J]
Cali Fujimoto/Nicholas Barsi-Rhyne [J]
Kylie Duarte/Colin Grafton [J]
Olivia Gibbons/Tyler Harris
Brittany Jones/Kurtis Gaskell (CAN) [J]
*Andrea Tou/Garnet Suidy (CAN)
*Carolyn-Ann Alba/Chris Knierim
*Maria Simoni/Alex Darnell
Alexandra Young/Matthew Young (CAN) [J]
Meredith Pipkin/Brett Dunie-Neustadt [J]
*Rebecca Du/Sergey Sidorov [J]
Withdrawn:
Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro (CAN) [J]

If I receive any results/scores from my sources at the rink after the Senior and Junior Pairs SP tonight, I will tweet! :)
http://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
SENIOR PAIRS (21 teams)
Withdrawn:
Amanda Velenosi/Mark Fernandez (CAN) [J]

Thank you so much Sylvia for compiling the list for everyone! I just wanted to point out that Velenosi/Fernandez competed as both juniors and seniors last year, placing 5th (Ostrava) and 10th (Sheffield) at their JGP assignments, 7th at the GP Cup of Russia, and 10th (and last) as seniors at Nationals.

-Kypma

Is Indiana the answer to the Lake Placid Dance comp?

Americans to watch:

Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin - they were better than expected last year.

Jessica Rose Paetsch/Drew Meekins - they've been around. I presume he will write it all up on icenetwork.

Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin.- - Which Vise is she? I know he's the older brother of John.

Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett - Indeed, very very Senior.

Kendra Moyle/Steven Pottenger- Where have I seen them before?

Brooke Castile/Ben Okolski - indeed another very very Senior.

Amanda Dobbs/Joseph Jacobsen - Is she that talented Lady from singles?

Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig - Breathtaking last Nats. Will this season be different?

Chloe Katz/Joseph Lynch - Really special last year's Nats

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually Don is the younger brother of John Baldwin. Tiffany Vise formerly skated with Trent. They did the first ever quad salchow in ISU competition.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig - Breathtaking last Nats. Will this season be different?

I hope they have a fantastic season. IMHO, it was criminal for NBC not to show their Nationals free skate.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Senior FS official results from today are online at: http://www.iwsafsc.org/indy_chal_2009.htm
(SP and FS for Novice-Senior at Indy are separate events and the scores are not combined.)

Article on the top 5 Senior pairs in the SP on Friday: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090801&content_id=6184636&vkey=ice_news

A few photos from Friday: http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photogallery/year_2009/month_08/day_01/cf6184642.html

One of the host club volunteers posted comments in her blog during the Senior FS: http://rochellesice.wordpress.com/

gold12345

Medalist
Thanks so much for the links to updates. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth getting information about summer competitions, so the quick posting of results and notes was a great surprise.

It's hard to get a good feel for how everyone skated without seeing the programs, but I guess Denney and Barrett have some work to do to stay ahead of their training partners, Evora/Ladwig, who beat them solidly on PCS here in Indy. Castile and Okolski, I don't know what to think except that it's good that they skated better than they did last week in Detroit. I still think Denney and Barrett would have an edge over them, but C/O beat them pretty soundly here in the free skate without skating clean (and the notes make it sound like D/B skated rather clean). Maybe D/B's long program just wasn't that good, but I'm still surprised that E/L and C/O seemed to keep up with them technically.

Also, I'm kinda surprised that Evora/Ladwig scored a 112 in the free skate here (even if it is only a summer competition) without skating clean, considering their personal best free skating score internationally is a 94, and they don't tend to score much higher than that nationally either. But most likely, I'm probably over analyzing what is just a summer competition.

Last edited:

nylynnr

On the Ice
IMO Denney and Barrett will improve greatly as the season progresses; I don't think they have anything to worry about technically. They had an issue with the back outside death spiral, new to them, in the short which really cost them vs. the lovely back outside death spirals the other two teams did. In the free Barrett uncharacteristically doubled the triple toe, which of course dragged down the score. I also think the levels on several of their elements will be higher next time out.

I, too, was surprised Denney/Barrett's PCS were 5-7 points lower than the top two teams in the free skate, but the program ("Scheherezade") is very new to them -- this is the second season Castile/Okolski have used their (gorgeous) fs and Evora/Ladwig really pushed to get their programs set early, because Ladwig and his wife are expecting Sept. 16. All in all I thought all three teams had excellent choreography and really enjoyable programs.

flatsee

Spectator
Thanks for that info :thumbsup: I think this might turn out to be quite an interesting season for U.S. pairs.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I always have to disagree a bit with my friends who complain about oft-used music; the reason music is used a lot, in most cases, is because it's beautiful. The Ukrainian team used Carmen at Indy and Liberty and it was a great program for their age and abilities. I could listen to music like Carmen, POTO, Spartacus, Samson & Delilah, etc. all day long. Good thing, because I often do --

There is always a chance for a newer version of the old warhorses. I thought Dai's Swan Lake got away from the obvious. and it was well skated But using the standard versions of the warhorses should be left to Juniors and below.

For this Indi's competition I think of critiquing(sp) new programs to new music as more important than winning medals so early in the season. Problem: Haven't seen too many youtubes of the performances.

As for scores, it's too early for them to matter as fans, but they do allow for the coaches/choreographers to see what can be remedied.

nylynnr

On the Ice
For this Indi's competition I think of critiquing(sp) new programs to new music as more important than winning medals so early in the season. Problem: Haven't seen too many youtubes of the performances.

As for scores, it's too early for them to matter as fans, but they do allow for the coaches/choreographers to see what can be remedied.

While the evaluations are crucial, for teams with no or only one international assignment the order of finish at Indy is extremely important. Case in point, it's almost certain Castile and Okolski won a Skate America slot by virtue of their wins, and it's likely (although a bit less certain) Evora and Ladwig may take the second open Skate America slot. That's one reason many teams went to other competitions for feedback even prior to Indy.

For the few age-eligible JGP teams, the results were also important, although the ability to execute difficult elements probably also played into who will get assignments.

For Denney and Barrett, I'd agree the evaluation sessions were more critical than the third-place finish.

While the evaluations are crucial, for teams with no or only one international assignment the order of finish at Indy is extremely important. Case in point, it's almost certain Castile and Okolski won a Skate America slot by virtue of their wins, and it's likely (although a bit less certain) Evora and Ladwig may take the second open Skate America slot. That's one reason many teams went to other competitions for feedback even prior to Indy.

For the few age-eligible JGP teams, the results were also important, although the ability to execute difficult elements probably also played into who will get assignments.
on evaluations.

For Denney and Barrett, I'd agree the evaluation sessions were more critical than the third-place finish.
Thank you nylynnr for this information on evaluations. It must be somewhat nerve wracking for the contestants to know that they may get another GP Slot if they podium. Here I thought it was just to 'test the waters'.

Denny/Barrett already have two slots. Had they not podiumed could they take one away?

Castile/Okolsky willf fill one of the empty Slots at SA, That will give them one in total.

Evora/Ladwiq will have two if they get the ok for the second empty slot, but so will Castelli/Shnapir, Innoue/Baldwin and Yankowskas/Coughlin. Will others have a chance for two slots?

nylynnr

On the Ice
It hasn't been announced yet, who will get what. But Castile/Okolski's performances put them in good stead for Skate America.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Denny/Barrett already have two slots. Had they not podiumed could they take one away?

No, because they were entitled to two based on their results at Worlds and they were invited by the Japanese and Canadian federations.

In theory US Figure Skating could probably decide that they're not ready and withdraw them from the GP against their will, but there would be no benefit to doing so. There's no guarantee that the teams Japan and Canada would invite as replacements would be American, which would mean the US would lose GP slots, and it would create hard feelings between USFS and one of their top teams. Lose-lose situation.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It hasn't been announced yet, who will get what. But Castile/Okolski's performances put them in good stead for Skate America.

that would be nice. I just love watching them skate...they have such good chemistry and beautiful chreography. They just make me feel at peace when they skate :)