Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kwan makes decision. She's out. :(

On the Ice

Kwan makes decision. She's out. :(

[url]http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=43317[/url]

I am devistated:(

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Part of me expected this and the other part just wishes she would compete one last time. At least we'll get to see her skate in August.

Good luck with everything Michelle, although you'll be missed you've got a bright future ahead of you

On the Ice
    I am selfish. I want her back and I really don't want to think of skating without her.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletA View Post
    [url]http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=43317[/url]

I am devistated:(
    Good for her to have such a strong belief in what she wants to do. I wish her all luck.

I don't find this too surprising. Michelle had an amazing career and will always be remembered as one of the best ever. I wish her luck with school and furthering her career.

Down With It
    This was expected. But I wonder if she's planning on venturing into politics- running for public office or something. A lot of former athletes seem to be going that route these days.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I already saw this over at FSU, but I am glad and relieved that Michelle is not coming back to competition. I would have been too worried that she would hurt herself again under such rigorous training and anything less than gold, a very unlikely outcome for her in this particular Olympic cycle, would be a waste of time given her accomplishments. She's making the best decision for herself, I think. We can look forward to seeing her again in exhibition settings and perhaps a commentating job at the 2010 Olympics . . . who knows?

Congratulations, Michelle!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-31-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Custom Title
    Congratulations, Michelle!
    I would like to say this too.
    I only wish that her next career will be as amazing, as her skating career was.

Custom Title
    It's as expected, and it's a smart decision. Wish her best of luck!!!

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Wow , it is official. Go Kwan

Down With It
    Jenny Kirk wrote a short article on the Kwan news

[url]http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/07/31/kwan-says-goodbye-to-competitive-career/[/url]

Custom Title
    *GASP*
    I wish MK all the luck even though she probably doesn't need it.
    There are so many doors wide open for her, and whatever route she chooses, she will be great.

What a great move for her. Tufts has a very good Med School. I didn;t know it also had fame for Foreigin Affairs. It's one of those many Boston Schools which are more about achievement than football.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Very classy and well spoken as always. I did not expect an announcement until after her show in Korea. Now I think the Korea show will be even more popular, it may be the last time any of us she her officially on the ice.
    I wish her the best in her career.

Custom Title
    Just read the announcement over on [url]www.icenetwork.com[/url], though not surprised, I still thought she might just give it another go.

This has me reflecting back on her career, and how very lucky this sport was to have her, Michelle being in it made everybody else a better skater, which I haven't seen since she left. Her competitors knew that they had to do 7 triples to even come close, and if they wanted to win they had to do even better than that, thus came the triple/triple combinations (ala Tara Lipinski at 1998 Olympics & Sarah Hughes at the 2002 Olympics). They truly skated against the best of the best, something they can tell their kids & grandkids about, what memories...

Michelle was a true champion/gladiator/warhorse/dog soldier, a GIANT in her sport, having earned the honor of participating in 4 Olympics. Most just wish for the opportunity to skate in 1 Olympics, but not Michelle, I often wonder what could have been if she hadn't been injured during her last Olympics. I do know that it wasn't the same without her, the winner only needed to do 5 triples to win gold, but I'm sure if Michelle had been able to compete that wouldn't have been the case. As always, her mere presence would have pushed her competitors to go all out, to try everything in their arsenal, to make it one for the ages.

Ah, thank you for the memories, Michelle, you made this sport better just by being in it. Couldn't ask for more. Go with God, and enjoy the rest of your life.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast