Kwan makes decision. She's out. :( | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan makes decision. She's out. :(

dannyascii

On the Ice
Still, some figure skating fans would hold on to hope for their favorite eligible skaters, hope that some day all their dreams will come true. If these elite skaters can dare to hold on to "the impossible dream," after-all, then so can the rest of us, right?
I think that kinda sums up my feelings. It's really bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I know she'll enjoy her future career. On the other hand, I know her heart is probably aching...it has to be terribly difficult to make such a big decision and let such a long-held dream finally go...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*WHEW* well, gee, now I can finally rest now that we have an answer. /sarcasm

seriously, not a big surprise here... then again I can take or leave all of these "comebacks"/returns... so it's no skin off my nose one way or the other lol

R.D.

Record Breaker
Most of us knew this months in advance but it appears the "official" announcement will still have its effects. Understandably so, I guess.

ladybug

On the Ice
My brain knew this would be Michelle's decision but tonight, my heart is breaking.

I hope she will skate in a few exhibitions at least this year and I wish her much luck and happiness in the path she has chosen.

Ladybug

R.D.

Record Breaker
Finally people may go on to the real interesting topics of this season! :biggrin:

...what I was secretly thinking but didn't want to say aloud
Shifty_eyed_by_teengkoh.gif

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The announcement comes as no surprise, but I will never forget Michelle's free skates at 1998 US Nationals and 2003 Worlds. We were fortunate to be there for both competitions, and the crowds' reactions were amazing. :clap: :agree: I wish her all the success in grad school and beyond. She's a classy person and great representative of the sport.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Most of us knew this months in advance but it appears the "official" announcement will still have its effects. Understandably so, I guess.

How did you know months in advance? Maybe you meant to say you thought you knew?
And yes, for some of us less intelligent folks, this news still does have it's effects. We'll try not to bother the rest of you.

fairly4

Medalist
I am very happy for her, wish her all the luck in her new career.
Look forward to seeing more of her as an ambassador.
you alway was for the sport of figure skating. our greatest ambassador.

R.D.

Record Breaker
How did you know months in advance? Maybe you meant to say you thought you knew?
And yes, for some of us less intelligent folks, this news still does have it's effects. We'll try not to bother the rest of you.

Wow, overreaction much? No one EVER said that anyone was "less intelligent".

MK gave no indications whatsoever that she was SERIOUSLY considering a comeback, especially with the acceptance to grad school. So I (and apparently other folks as well) came to the conclusion that she wouldn't be competing. After reading this topic on many forums, I definitely know I wasn't alone in this thinking. Of course her fans would hold out that slimmer of hope even if deep down they expected this news, and hearing it officially truly means it's over, so I can understand their reaction.

Back to the "real" topic at hand, I just think the choice of words in this announcement is interesting. It simply said she wouldn't compete this season- it didn't say she was retiring from competitive skating. Having missed 2010, she would be 33 come 2014, which is simply unheard of in the skating world. Yet, the quotes from her give me the impression that she has truly moved on (or is in the process of doing so).

nymkfan51

Medalist
Wow, overreaction much? No one EVER said that anyone was "less intelligent".

MK gave no indications whatsoever that she was SERIOUSLY considering a comeback, especially with the acceptance to grad school. So I (and apparently other folks as well) came to the conclusion that she wouldn't be competing.

No Red Dog, I was not overreacting. At least be honest about what you posted. You said most of us "knew" she wouldn't compete this year and insinuated those of us who did think it was a possibility were clearly in the dark about the facts. And for your information, yes, there was a definite indication from Michelle and her agent that she WAS seriously considering a comeback, and was in fact training hard on that front.
So you go ahead and think whatever you want about people like me. I no longer care.

delobelfan30

Rinkside
I applaud Kwan for her intelligence. Of all the potential returnees her chances were the lowest of all. A comeback from her could have ended in nothing more than disaester. I dont mean that as a knock against Michelle but just too many realistic factors against her:

-29 years old

-hip surgery for a hip that was giving her trouble since 2001

-different scoring system to the one she had virtually all her success with and grew up skating in for so many years. Dont get me wrong, if this scoring system was around since mid the mid 90s I think Kwan would have done quite well still but totally different to abrutply adapt your skating to it near the end of your career.

-She was on a steady decline in the rankings and in the judges eyes it seemed since the 2003 Worlds

-Obviously the fact she hasnt really competed since the 2005 Worlds and some cheesefest just after Worlds.

So I applaud Kwan for making the intelligent and wise decision, and not chasing after an at this point delusional fantasy of the elusive Olympic Gold (her chances to win gold this time around would have been about on par with say Elena Liashenko in years past if she somehow even made the team). I am already predicting some of the actual returnees will wish they were smarter like Kwan in knowing when their time was up.

Wicked

Final Flight
A master's in international affairs from Tufts. Good for you, Michelle. I think Michelle will continue to do great things, just in a different arena.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You said most of us "knew" she wouldn't compete this year and insinuated those of us who did think it was a possibility were clearly in the dark about the facts.

I said:

Most of us knew this months in advance but it appears the "official" announcement will still have its effects.

Expanding on that statement: Whether it's being 99% sure or whether it was simply a gut instinct, I bet even many of her big fans figured she wasn't coming back. Of course, this doesn't mean they didn't hold out some hope for her return, which would partially explain why there is disappointment being expressed over this announcement. That's it.

And for your information, yes, there was a definite indication from Michelle and her agent that she WAS seriously considering a comeback, and was in fact training hard on that front.

Again being honest, I don't remember such an indication. all I remember is that she was trying to get back in shape by skating, and that she was attempting to get some jumps back. No mention of the Olympics except by eager reporters.
Shrug_by_melonhead_emotion.gif

In any case, I believe she made the right decision. The Tufts degree will do a lot more for her in the long run than a return to the scrutiny that is the Olympics imo.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm not going to argue with you Red Dog. Ya know ... after reading the various boards today I am actually glad she decided not to come back. Who needs this nonsense anyway.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not going to argue with you Red Dog. Ya know ... after reading the various boards today I am actually glad she decided not to come back. Who needs this nonsense anyway.

something we can both agree on. :agree:

I really don't want another board war.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I don't think any of us can really know just how serious Michelle was attempting a comeback, or not. Her answers regarding her future plans were, as they had tended to be post SLC, vague and open to interpretation. I personally thought she was giving it a real shot, seeing what she could do, especially after witnessing 2009 Worlds 1st handed. I always believed Michelle was a true, fierce competitor first and foremost, that she loved skating and she loved performing in front of the audience, but she loved competing to win more. I knew she wouldn't be satisfied with just appearing at the Olympics unless she felt she had an honest shot at Gold, or at least the podium.

Michelle, you have been a huge inspiration and role model to many of us, whether we ever laced up a skate or not. The journey you shared with us, starting with the little jumping bean taking the world by a storm, and as you matured into a lovely, passionate skater who moved countless of people to tears, you always made us proud. I look forward to your future successes as you embark on this new chapter of your life. Thank you for the memories. :)