Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kwan makes decision. She's out. :(

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I'm glad she is going to continue with skating. I think she made the best decision but I am like many here, it would have been wonderful to see her skate again in the Olympics.

Custom Title

Michelle

I haven't posted here for awhile but will for this one topic. The smartest move she could make is to stay out of skating in its current incarnation. I am thrilled she made this decision. Good for her. Fletcher has an outstanding reputation and it is part of a world class university-Tufts. My husband and I met there when he was a student at Tufts and we had a great 4 years there. Boston, which is outside of Medford/Tufts, is a wonderful city. Michelle will never regret this decision.

Good decision Michelle. She has given her heart and soul to this sport for many years and imo made an impact on figure skating through her longevity and her competitive record. She truly deserved the title "Kween"

That said, I do admit that this news made me a little sad.

Any news on her music for the ice show in Korea?
    Last edited by demarinis5; 07-31-2009 at 08:17 PM.

I didn't even know that come back was an option for her. Considering the way she withdrew from the Olympics due to injury and other activities she's been focusing on, I am surprised more by the fact that she did not retire until now. Fumie is as old as Michelle and I admire her determination as much as Michelle's next career because it is not easy to hang in there in a sport where mid-20s are considered "old," with declining competition results and younger generations coming in. Hope both women make their dreams come true in the paths each of them chose.

Here's another very nice article on her retirement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...urn=oly,180159

I found the following paragraphs from the link to sum it up well..

"That Kwan can still make headlines for not skating shows how much of a mark she left in the sporting community during her historic career. Kwan's nine U.S. Figure Skating titles were one more than Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill had combined. And it's those nine titles she'll be most remembered for rather than the disappointments in Nagano and Salt Lake City, where she won silver and bronze, respectively.

Though the lack of Olympic golds will be a bittersweet footnote in the career of Michelle Kwan, it won't define it. And, judging by her lofty career aspirations, maybe her success on the rink won't either. The lives of far too many athletes seem to end when they leave the playing field. Michelle Kwan's seems to be just beginning. "

Custom Title
    Still, some figure skating fans would hold on to hope for their favorite eligible skaters, hope that some day all their dreams will come true. If these elite skaters can dare to hold on to "the impossible dream," after-all, then so can the rest of us, right?
    I think that kinda sums up my feelings. It's really bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I know she'll enjoy her future career. On the other hand, I know her heart is probably aching...it has to be terribly difficult to make such a big decision and let such a long-held dream finally go...

*WHEW* well, gee, now I can finally rest now that we have an answer. /sarcasm

seriously, not a big surprise here... then again I can take or leave all of these "comebacks"/returns... so it's no skin off my nose one way or the other lol

Down With It
    Most of us knew this months in advance but it appears the "official" announcement will still have its effects. Understandably so, I guess.

Custom Title
    My brain knew this would be Michelle's decision but tonight, my heart is breaking.

I hope she will skate in a few exhibitions at least this year and I wish her much luck and happiness in the path she has chosen.

Ladybug

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster

Thumbs up

Finally people may go on to the real interesting topics of this season!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanice View Post
    ...what I was secretly thinking but didn't want to say aloud

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Easy one! In "my" latitudes you won't find any (rabid) Kwawn-fans!

The announcement comes as no surprise, but I will never forget Michelle's free skates at 1998 US Nationals and 2003 Worlds. We were fortunate to be there for both competitions, and the crowds' reactions were amazing. I wish her all the success in grad school and beyond. She's a classy person and great representative of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanice View Post
    This news is interesting for a lot of folks, but I understand your need
    to voice your opinion.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Most of us knew this months in advance but it appears the "official" announcement will still have its effects. Understandably so, I guess.
    How did you know months in advance? Maybe you meant to say you thought you knew?
    And yes, for some of us less intelligent folks, this news still does have it's effects. We'll try not to bother the rest of you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast