Any Sasha updates? | Page 96 | Golden Skate

Any Sasha updates?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Apparently she's been practicing a few of them but they clearly don't seem to be ready for competition (the ones I saw she UR/2 footed). If it were a GP event I'd say she'd have nothing to lose by going for it but here, the risk is not worth it.

Fossi

Final Flight
there is footage of sasha's ur 2footed 3/3 attempt and john nicks says everyone will be surprised. I dunno. For what it's worth, Sasha didn't look nervous to me at all before her sp. I think she knows that she only needs to stay on her feet. It's not like the us ladies have been hard to beat the past few years, but at the same time, they have all worked hard while Sasha has been touring.

Layfan

Record Breaker
there is footage of sasha's ur 2footed 3/3 attempt and john nicks says everyone will be surprised. I dunno. For what it's worth, Sasha didn't look nervous to me at all before her sp. I think she knows that she only needs to stay on her feet. It's not like the us ladies have been hard to beat the past few years, but at the same time, they have all worked hard while Sasha has been touring.

Hmm, interesting. But I still bet she doesn't try it. As for whether the U.S. girls are hard for Sasha to beat I think Mirai and even Rachael had something to say about that last night. Still, Sasha made a statement, and if she keeps her rear off the ground, I think she's on the team.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Really? I don't think I've seen her more nervous- probably not since Torino FS. I seriously thought for a moment while she was tying her boots that disaster was looming. Once the music started, though, she slowly settled in her old ways. But for someone away for 4 years and returning at a major competition, that was to be expected.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Really? I don't think I've seen her more nervous- probably not since Torino FS. I seriously thought for a moment while she was tying her boots that disaster was looming. But for someone away for 4 years and returning at a major competition, that was to be expected.

I agree, I never saw her look that nervous either. But once she started skating the look changed to pure determination. You go, girl!

(I do hope she looks a little freer in the FS though.)

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha did not look nervious during her short program. Her foot work, edges, fluity, and total presentation are all deserved first place. She could medal at Olympics if Mao or Yu Na did not do close to perfect programs.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sasha did not look nervious during her short program. Her foot work, edges, fluity, and total presentation are all deserved first place. She could medal at Olympics if Mao or Yu Na did not do close to perfect programs.

Sasha has admitted she was nervous and said she just tried to keep focused.

Really? I don't think I've seen her more nervous- probably not since Torino FS. I seriously thought for a moment while she was tying her boots that disaster was looming.

Where I started getting worried was in the warm-up for the last group. The camera was on Sasha all the way (was anyone else out there? :laugh: ), and it seemed like she was just going through the minimal motions like a zombie. Finally about two-thirds of the way through she tried a double Axel -- and fell! (She did do a couple of triple jumaps after that, though.)

Andrea Joyce asked her about it after the performance, and Sasha basically said that the warm-up went fine, all she was trying to accomplish was to, well, warm up.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Where I started getting worried was in the warm-up for the last group. The camera was on Sasha all the way (was anyone else out there? :laugh ), and it seemed like she was just going through the minimal motions like a zombie. Finally about two-thirds of the way through she tried a double Axel -- and fell! (She did do a couple of triple jumaps after that, though.)

Andrea Joyce asked her about it after the performance, and Sasha basically said that the warm-up went fine, all she was trying to accomplish was to, well, warm up.

Hee! This is why I love Sasha...

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

Uh huh and Ando and Joannie and Akiko and so on.....

gfskater

On the Ice
Still, I hope she laces up her boots properly tonight so she can devote more attention to harrassing the others during the warmups ;) :rofl:
Gooooo Sasha :rock:

Sahsa looked less nervous to me. In the past I have seen her huffing and puffing at the boards after her name was called. Nicks would be geting nervous she would not get in position in time saying. C'mon lets go...".

Aside from re-tying her skate she got out there pretty quickly Thursday.

To bad she did not compete this past year. Maybe there would be three spots for the ladies at the Olympics..

Layfan

Record Breaker
Sahsa looked less nervous to me. In the past I have seen her huffing and puffing at the boards after her name was called. Nicks would be geting nervous she would not get in position in time saying. C'mon lets go...".

Aside from re-tying her skate she got out there pretty quickly Thursday.

To bad she did not compete this past year. Maybe there would be three spots for the ladies at the Olympics..

I also sometimes wonder if by now Sasha wouldn't have won three more national championships, dominating U.S. skating Kwan-style. Course, she would have had to beat Kimmie in 07 and Mirai in 08... guess we'll never know what could have been.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Where I started getting worried was in the warm-up for the last group. The camera was on Sasha all the way (was anyone else out there? :laugh: ), and it seemed like she was just going through the minimal motions like a zombie. Finally about two-thirds of the way through she tried a double Axel -- and fell! (She did do a couple of triple jumaps after that, though.)

Well, sounds like you were watching Universal Sports. I was watching the IN feed and they showed the other skaters as well ;) I'm not sure what Cohen was doing most of the time but we did get to see the fall on the 2A. And I was like, uh oh.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Come on you guys! We all know practices are not always indicative of what a skater will do in the actual competition. Though, I do wonder...Folks have always lauded Sasha for being perfect in practice, the best practice skater ever, then she'd have a couple mistakes in competition. Maybe the problem has been trying to live up to what she did on practice, and having no perfect practices will make her concentrate more on each moment rather than getting nervous about not being perfect. Besides, she did land a 3s/2t/2t, all her triples yesterday. Sounded like she just skated around and got the feel of the ice under her. Here's some hope for y'all!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Come on you guys! We all know practices are not always indicative of what a skater will do in the actual competition. Though, I do wonder...Folks have always lauded Sasha for being perfect in practice, the best practice skater ever, then she'd have a couple mistakes in competition. Maybe the problem has been trying to live up to what she did on practice, and having no perfect practices will make her concentrate more on each moment rather than getting nervous about not being perfect. Besides, she did land a 3s/2t/2t, all her triples yesterday. Sounded like she just skated around and got the feel of the ice under her. Here's some hope for y'all!

At Turin, Sasha had a horrible warm up right before her free skate and it rattled her. So, I too was worried as soon as she fell on her 2 axel. But she looked SO determined throughout her SP. I hadn't really seen that look on her before. Concentration yes, but that gritty determination, not so much.
Anyhow, I'm not too fussed. I think Sasha will not give up on her peformance tonight even if she falls on her first three jumps, and that we will get to see gorgeous skating from her no matter what. If this is to be her last competition ever, I'm going to enjoy it for what it's worth..

gio

Medalist
Sasha's Pasodoble was really good. She must have latin blood in her. The presentation, interpretation, attitude, carriage, character, face mimics all was superb. I really enjoyed her return. :agree:

She also has the best spins, spirals and splits.

Stunning!!

GO SASHA!!

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha was smiling and laughing with her coach before the SP. She didn't ahve the deer in headlights look of Torino.