Liz Mannely Battled Depreesion En Route to Olympic Silver | Golden Skate

Liz Mannely Battled Depreesion En Route to Olympic Silver

Wicked

Final Flight
Bravo to Liz Manley for speaking honestly about mental illness. No other illness has the stigma it does. It's great to see someone doing well and living with depression.

jp1andonly

Rinkside
I thought this was old news. I think it was mentioned in a CBC or CTV documentary.
SC put her through the ringer. It's amazing that she kept at it....

sktgirl6

Rinkside
Liz Manely's book.......

I read her book a while back, its a terrific book to read, and yes Im so proud of her. And going all the way. SC did put her and her mom through a lot. It just goes to show you, that if you have a dream you will do everything possible to get there,,,

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this, great article! :)

I never knew Liz Manley went through all that. As a fan, it makes me think what all these skaters go through to bring us such happiness & joy. This applies to all arts & sports. I only see the end product, not the process. What a humbling revelation.

I still can't get over Jennifer Kirk's article, now coupled with Liz's, I'm somewhat depressed myself now. But in Liz's case there really is a silver lining. Her mom didn't push her, allowed her to do what she wanted to do, supported her decision whether it be to quit/do something else/etc. The opposite is true in Jennifer's case.

I have to go search on youtube for Liz's outstanding performance at the 1988 Olympics ~ what joy she radiated, I honestly felt her love of skating, which just burst through on the Olympic Podium when she received her silver medal ~ she was soooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::rock::clap::agree: