Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you think Kwan's decision was based on Cohen's?

Banned
    I really don't believe it affected Michelle's decision significantly. Michelle consistently beat Sasha most of the time (for whatever reason you want to ascribe.) Michelle knew it was time to move on, but maybe she just had to wait until the actual moment of decision to fully realize it.

Custom Title
    to whomever applied Michelle will skate professionally the first time in four years isn't accurate. she retired as an amatuer and she is skating as an amateur,
    if that is the case Than Sasha Has skated since 2006 As a Professional (despite by okay by the ufsa) by Skating in shows. SOI< Disson Skating shows,
    Michelle Is not a professional. unless the USFSA Didn't HELP her out as usual

By my standards Sasha is a Professional, as well as all the other skaters, Evan, Tanith & ben, Johnny etc who has skated on IMg shows and disson shows..

Sasha is a pro.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    I was just wondering if Michelle thought that Sasha had said yes to coming back and only 2 spots available for Olympics that it would be tough or not worth her coming back.

I was wondering if things might have been different if Sasha did not comeback and there were 3 vacant spots.

I know Michelle did not think along those lines as she is a woman of great intellect and it was important to her to find a future career but just wondering if those things above helped in her decision.

It is a shame she is not competing one last time as it would have been great to see her against the current crop of champions but I am glad she followed her heart and in my opinion is doing the right thing.
    ok, that is just ridiculous. Kwan's decision had nothing to do with Sasha. Besides, Sasha is not a shoe-in for the Olympic team. I definitely don't think Kwan considers Sasha a threat. Kwan is intelligent enough to know where she stands today if she were to face the likes of Kim & Asada. And she made a good decision. It had nothing to do with that Miss Sasha.
    Last edited by Enthusiast; 08-20-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Custom Title
    Kwan had a skating career that many of us will remember for generations--as people remember the career of Janet Lynn. Lynn skated at a time when most of the jumps were doubles, and yet if you watch her on YouTube, you still feel the poetry of her motion. It will be the same with Kwan. I will miss her skating. But I still think she got out at the right time.

Think about it this way: To one side, she has to go compete in sectionals and regionals and whatnot, with judges younger than she grading the quality of her jumps and comparing her to thirteen-year-olds who haven't reached a height of five feet yet. Then on the other side, two of the most powerful, pathfinding women in American history have personally approached her one by one and said, "Hello, Ms. Kwan, how would you like to join our team?"

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

Think about it this way: To one side, she has to go compete in sectionals and regionals and whatnot, with judges younger than she grading the quality of her jumps and comparing her to thirteen-year-olds who haven't reached a height of five feet yet.
    Not nessecarily. If she competed in the GP, which she would have surley done if she wanted to return, she could have bypassed the qualifying events.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    ...two of the most powerful, pathfinding women in American history have personally approached her one by one and said, "Hello, Ms. Kwan, how would you like to join our team?"

Custom Title

life after skating

Many athletes, especially champions, look back on their sports careers as the greatest time in their lives. Sadly, this peak era comes at a very early age...sometimes while the athlete is still a teen. That's one reason it's especially satisfying to watch a sports star move on to achievements that are as meaningful as the early triumphs. I love thinking about doctors like Debi Thomas, or humanitarians like Kenyan track star Kip Keino--or even enduring performers such as Kurt Browning (who for my money has contributed even more to the sport as a pro than he did as a national competitor). By contrast, it's painful to watch someone like Tara Lipinski, who seems never to have moved beyond "aspiring actress," and never even attended college. That's why seeing Michelle move toward such a splendid future is a treat. She gave us more than a decade of stirring skating, and now it seems as though she has found something that will enable her to walk away from it with a peaceful heart. Really, how much better does it get than this?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3