Do you think Kwan's decision was based on Cohen's? | Golden Skate

Do you think Kwan's decision was based on Cohen's?

russell30

Final Flight
I was just wondering if Michelle thought that Sasha had said yes to coming back and only 2 spots available for Olympics that it would be tough or not worth her coming back.

I was wondering if things might have been different if Sasha did not comeback and there were 3 vacant spots.

I know Michelle did not think along those lines as she is a woman of great intellect and it was important to her to find a future career but just wondering if those things above helped in her decision.

It is a shame she is not competing one last time as it would have been great to see her against the current crop of champions but I am glad she followed her heart and in my opinion is doing the right thing.

kandidy

Final Flight
Only 2 spots for Olympic maybe a factor, but I don't think it has anything to do with sasha. Consider Kwan always won her in the past. It should be on the other way around whether Sasha would had announced her come back if Kwan announced earlier that sheis joining the compeition.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I doubt that Sasha's decision played any part, if it had the announcement might have come sooner.

I expect when push came to shove she just found her body couldn't do what it used to and rather than look back towards her legendary skating career she simply chose to look forward and try to be a legend in a new field.

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I agree with Ant... My impression of Michelle is that she's extremely ambitious and has that driving need to be number one in anything she does... figure skating was her outlet and she's been there, done that and upon reflection is more jazzed by future challenges rather than old ones...

I'd also speculate - with no real basis in fact - that she looked around her ice rink and thought - "wow, I simply don't want to do this anymore" and will move on to bigger & brighter & you know more lucrative things. It's GOT to be hard to be a woman amongst little girls - most of whom idolize you...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IIt's GOT to be hard to be a woman amongst little girls - most of whom idolize you...
:bow: :bow: :bow: I think you know this first hand since since that's how I feel about you here on this board. :clap: :clap:I better watch my Ps & Qs otherwise I'll have another poster tell me to stop overreacting towards you.

Anyhow, I think Sasha & Michelle make up their minds regardless of what the other is doing. :agree:

fairly4

Medalist
i doubt sasha had any say in the matter, in fact i wouldn't have been surprised if the US figure skating didn't know in May that Michelle wouldn't be coming back,
why in June some papers and disson skating alluded to the fact that Michelle would be going to College in the Fall before it became official with the US figure skating and the papers. It almost came out immediately after her graduation ceremony in June that Michelle would be going to Tufts. (it just wasn't announced officially until July).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Michelle could see which way the wind was blowing. There was no reasonable way she could win Nationals, let alone the Olympics.

fairly4

Medalist
sasha cant win the olympics or should win nationals.
the only way sasha can win is by cheating for her (overlooking her bad jumps). which they did at the 2006 nationals . sothey will again. cheat for sasha,

by the way sasha can't medal at the olympics, the way i figure it sasha can only place as high as 8th (that is being generous) she should finished below 10th if she goes (by cheating at us nationals).

My impression of Michelle is that she's extremely ambitious and has that driving need to be number one in anything she does... figure skating was her outlet and she's been there, done that and upon reflection is more jazzed by future challenges rather than old ones...

I'd also speculate - with no real basis in fact - that she looked around her ice rink and thought - "wow, I simply don't want to do this anymore"...

:clap: I believe and hope that this speculation is 100% on the money. You read my mind. (Now if Michelle would just post and say, hey, you read my mind, too. :) )

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:bow: :bow: :bow: I think you know this first hand since since that's how I feel about you here on this board. :clap: :clap:I better watch my Ps & Qs otherwise I'll have another poster tell me to stop overreacting towards you.

Anyhow, I think Sasha & Michelle make up their minds regardless of what the other is doing. :agree:

No... Its by following the example of you and Spun that Toni hasn't booted me off a looonnggg time ago - 'cause you KNOW I have no tolerance for the newbie nonsense... And for the record - if one can't over react, why spend time on a fan board?!? Why spend time on ANYTHING that doesn't bring out your cranky side? That's why I don't visit oh, I don't know... glass blowing sites...:cool:

Michelle could see which way the wind was blowing. There was no reasonable way she could win Nationals, let alone the Olympics.

C'mon... Did you WATCH Nationals? I could win Nationals... depth in sport should NOT be "mile wide, inch deep" these girls are simply not ready yet...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The only way Michelle wouldn't have had an excellent shot at winning Nationals would have been because of her injury. A healthy Michelle would be miles ahead of most of the current crop of US ladies. And the Olympics has become a crap-shoot, so who knows?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
['cause you KNOW I have no tolerance for the newbie nonsense... And for the record - if one can't over react, why spend time on a fan board?!? Why spend time on ANYTHING that doesn't bring out your cranky side? That's why I don't visit oh, I don't know... glass blowing sites...:cool:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Too, too funny!!! :rofl: :rofl:

KW said:
C'mon... Did you WATCH Nationals? I could win Nationals... depth in sport should NOT be "mile wide, inch deep" these girls are simply not ready yet...
:bow: :bow:KW, you just make me laugh so hard.....:laugh: :laugh::clap: :clap:

I have just one word for you!!!!

FABULOUS!!!!!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
You guys are sooo awesome! I love you both and just think what the World could learn from us... Kwan Fans and Sasha Fans united. Together. Against tyranny, death and destruction... ah... what a beautiful world it could be!:chorus::chorus::chorus:

How nice to be remembered, and so nicely. Yes, I am the power behind the mods. :cool:

Notice anything different about me, Kwanford?

:bow::Go Divas!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Too, too funny!!! :rofl:

:bow: :bow:KW, you just make me laugh so hard.....:laugh: :laugh::clap: :clap:

I have just one word for you!!!!

FABULOUS!!!!!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

Yes, I did. And what I recall about Nationals is that it's a full year before next year's Nationals. There are hungry little girls out there with sparkly new dresses, sparkly new programs, and sparkly new coaches who are fighting hard to improve as I type.

Skating is a cruel sport folks, so I'll be blunt. Had Michelle returned, she would have gotten her butt mule-kicked across the ice and into the stands. She did the only thing she could have done.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Had Michelle returned, she would have gotten her butt mule-kicked across the ice and into the stands. She did the only thing she could have done.

Do you think the same thing will happen to Cohen if she shows up?

vlaurend

Final Flight
I think Michelle gave herself some specific goals that she would have to achieve by a certain date if she was going to postpone grad school and take another shot at the Olympics. I think she gave it an honest try, didn't meet those goals (which probably included at least one triple-triple combo and high level spins) and decided to go ahead with the school in the fall. She's a smart lady and I think knows what she's doing.

Sasha may or may not end up in the top 2 at U.S. Nationals, but she hasn't been off the ice and she's been out of competition for a shorter time than Michelle has. Also, Sasha was already doing very well under IJS in 2006, whereas Michelle was having trouble acquiring the more difficult spin variations, etc. Sasha definitely has less catching up to do.