Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: Do you think Kwan's decision was based on Cohen's?

  1. #16
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,606

    0 Not allowed!

    Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    You guys are sooo awesome! I love you both and just think what the World could learn from us... Kwan Fans and Sasha Fans united. Together. Against tyranny, death and destruction... ah... what a beautiful world it could be!:chorus::chorus::chorus:

    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    How nice to be remembered, and so nicely. Yes, I am the power behind the mods.

    Notice anything different about me, Kwanford?
    :Go Divas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post

    Too, too funny!!!

    KW, you just make me laugh so hard.....

    I have just one word for you!!!!

    FABULOUS!!!!!

  2. #17
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14,245

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Kwan Fans and Sasha Fans united
    The Apocalypse!!!!
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-05-2009 at 06:31 PM.

  3. #18
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,610

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    C'mon... Did you WATCH Nationals? I could win Nationals... depth in sport should NOT be "mile wide, inch deep" these girls are simply not ready yet...
    Yes, I did. And what I recall about Nationals is that it's a full year before next year's Nationals. There are hungry little girls out there with sparkly new dresses, sparkly new programs, and sparkly new coaches who are fighting hard to improve as I type.

    Skating is a cruel sport folks, so I'll be blunt. Had Michelle returned, she would have gotten her butt mule-kicked across the ice and into the stands. She did the only thing she could have done.

  4. #19
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14,245

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Had Michelle returned, she would have gotten her butt mule-kicked across the ice and into the stands. She did the only thing she could have done.
    Do you think the same thing will happen to Cohen if she shows up?

  5. #20
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    689

    0 Not allowed!
    I think Michelle gave herself some specific goals that she would have to achieve by a certain date if she was going to postpone grad school and take another shot at the Olympics. I think she gave it an honest try, didn't meet those goals (which probably included at least one triple-triple combo and high level spins) and decided to go ahead with the school in the fall. She's a smart lady and I think knows what she's doing.

    Sasha may or may not end up in the top 2 at U.S. Nationals, but she hasn't been off the ice and she's been out of competition for a shorter time than Michelle has. Also, Sasha was already doing very well under IJS in 2006, whereas Michelle was having trouble acquiring the more difficult spin variations, etc. Sasha definitely has less catching up to do.

  6. #21
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,610

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Do you think the same thing will happen to Cohen if she shows up?
    I think Sasha will do better than Michelle would have.

  7. #22
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,606

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Yes, I did. And what I recall about Nationals is that it's a full year before next year's Nationals. There are hungry little girls out there with sparkly new dresses, sparkly new programs, and sparkly new coaches who are fighting hard to improve as I type.

    Skating is a cruel sport folks, so I'll be blunt. Had Michelle returned, she would have gotten her butt mule-kicked across the ice and into the stands. She did the only thing she could have done.

    Bob, this is so very true because there will be a lot of Mule Kicks thumping around Nationals this year...

  8. #23
    Medalist Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,497

    0 Not allowed!
    I doubt very much that Kwan's decision was influenced very much by anything any other skaters had decided to do.

    And huge Kwan fan that I am, I still have to say I'm just as glad she's not going to attempt a comeback. She had one of the great competitive careers in skating and that's enough for me. At this stage I'm much more intrigued by her public service/diplomatic/political career than seeing her back on the ice.

  9. #24
    Bona Fide Member Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,027

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    I think Michelle gave herself some specific goals that she would have to achieve by a certain date if she was going to postpone grad school and take another shot at the Olympics. I think she gave it an honest try, didn't meet those goals (which probably included at least one triple-triple combo and high level spins) and decided to go ahead with the school in the fall. She's a smart lady and I think knows what she's doing.

    Sasha may or may not end up in the top 2 at U.S. Nationals, but she hasn't been off the ice and she's been out of competition for a shorter time than Michelle has. Also, Sasha was already doing very well under IJS in 2006, whereas Michelle was having trouble acquiring the more difficult spin variations, etc. Sasha definitely has less catching up to do.
    I agree with everything you said. Michelle is not the type of person to be "scared off" because one of her old competitors came back. She probably saw that after a few months of training that she just wasn't going to ever be the skater she once was, and was realistic about it. She has a great opportunity to continue her education and decided to continue on that path, where she knows success is much more attainable. Very smart and very adult move. Very Michelle.

  10. #25
    Spectator Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,789

    0 Not allowed!
    I just doubt if comeback was any realistic option for her. She would of course have had a sentiment, like looking back sweet memories with your ex's, but that would have been different from reality.

    I personally don't find Sasha's the most realistic and smartest move, in terms of the expected competition results. But as long as Sasha gets something meaningful for her as a person, I would support it, because happiness is not all about OGM.

  11. #26
    Gold for the Winter Prince! demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,235

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I doubt very much that Kwan's decision was influenced very much by anything any other skaters had decided to do.

    And huge Kwan fan that I am, I still have to say I'm just as glad she's not going to attempt a comeback. She had one of the great competitive careers in skating and that's enough for me. At this stage I'm much more intrigued by her public service/diplomatic/political career than seeing her back on the ice.

  12. #27
    Idita-Rock-n-Roll Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    18,806
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    No... Toni hasn't booted me off a looonnggg time ago...
    First off, to be thought of as that cruel and heartless HURTS! *drama queen moment*

    Second - so long as you're on MM's side you have no worries... if ever you make his list, watch out



    how the heck did I get dragged into an MK discussion, anyway?

  13. #28
    Tripping on the Podium Hikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    854

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    The Apocalypse!!!!
    LMAO!! they'll probably unite in 2012 then

  14. #29
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,866

    0 Not allowed!
    Here is a Cliche - "It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind." I would think this would apply to figure skaters too....



  15. #30
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    14,245

    0 Not allowed!

    Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I just doubt if comeback was any realistic option for her. She would of course have had a sentiment, like looking back sweet memories with your ex's, but that would have been different from reality.
    She may not be competing any more, but she will still skate professionally. In fact, she will skate in a Korean show next week, the first time in nearly FOUR years. Despite that, disappointment still reigns upon many of her big fans...oh well.

    I personally don't find Sasha's the most realistic and smartest move, in terms of the expected competition results.
    Me either, but if that's what she really wants to do and no one forced her or pushed her into it, then I say let her try. The chances are remote, but I suppose the USA ladies can use any help they can get right now.
    Last edited by R.D.; 08-08-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •