Patrick Chan Landing the Quad | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Landing the Quad

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Post what on this board? Why do people take issue with me posting a clip of Patrick landing the quad? I was curious about what it would look like and how he was progressing with it - as others I'm sure were too.
Well, you're right that it was probably an interesting link to many, What I meant is that once it's shared on a general board like GS, you can't expect only fans to respond.

We have entire threads on Caroline Zhang's season, Sasha's comeback, Lambiel's comeback. Hell there is even a thread devoted to Yu-Na's music selection. Those are all fine but watch out when something is posted about Patrick!!
I think the Kim and Zhang threads are silly: Zhang has done nothing yet to merit a 900 post thread, and the Kim thread should be merged with the 2009-10 music one. The Plushy thread (which you didn't mention) is basically a place for people to post totally off-topic stuff, and there's both positive and negative posting going on there; his fans seem to deal well with it. A thread on Stephane's comeback is perfectly ok, the guy is a two-time world champion, an Olympic medalist and a really cool skater. It's newsworthy.

There's also nothing wrong with this thread, just with some people's expectations that it'll be 100% positive stuff. That's not how discussions here - or on any non-fan forum - work.

BTW, there isn't much balance in those threads and I don't see one post here where people were going over the top. It was a gorgeous jump - that's the truth.
Yannick Ponsero had a gorgeous quad at Euros, and didn't get his own thread :). If Chan lands a pretty one when it counts, I promise I'll not snark about it. Fair enough?

But don't expect Patrick's fans to change their minds either or chastise them for getting excited about his season.
Of course not. Just respect my right to think otherwise, and express those thoughts - without telling me I'm obsessive or hate Canadians (you know this doesn't refer to you).

Just to balance things out:

Bravo, Patrick - the most beautiful skater of the future. :rock: :love: :bow:

I'm just hoping Johnny can beat him out this year.

If he can do the quad in practice, he will do it in competition, eventually. Thanks for posting it!!!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm glad that Chan is working on the quad and landing it in practice. I think his fans have the right to post here and be happy about it. And everyone knows that I'm one of the biggest Chan is overhyped people around.

psycho

On the Ice
I'm just hoping Johnny can beat him out this year.

Well, Weir has never lost to Chan, so why start now :agree:

And good lord, no one is scolding anyone about them liking Chan's quad! It's just that people who are not drinking the Chan KoolAid are allowed to express their views too, without being accused of being anti-Canadian and all kinds of other nonsense.

I'll believe Chan's quad when I'll see it. In competition.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian! Just once I would love to see a certain poster say something nice about a Canadian skater. Guess they forget that some of the more recent Olympic medalist from the US have Canadian roots!

I am a Canadian. I find this post strange. If you go back to read the posts before this one, is there anything that any posters said cross a line? No! Why do you want to put Canadians on the opposit side from the rest of the world?! Canadians are cool, smart, polite people in general. This is why I am proud to be a Canadian. Even though I have lived in US for over 11 years, I never wanted, nor planned to change my citizenship. I do not see any one here in this thread against Canadians.

Regarding to specific skater, in this thread, it's Chan, like or dislike, everybody has his/her own opinion. And GS allows them all. That's the beauty of general skating board compare with the fansites. I, for one, am not a Patrick fan, though I find his skating sometimes amazing. But I feel that I am able to change my position on it depending on his skating in the future. I see the possibility.

Thanks for the video! It is wonderful to see him landing a quad at practice. But I put my optimism in check given all the previous experiences from other skaters, such as Johnny Weir.

Last edited:

psycho

On the Ice
IThanks for the video! It is wonderful to see him landing a quad at practice. But I put my optimism in check given all the previous experiences from other skaters, such as Johnny Weir.

Poor Johnny, he's become the poster child for cautious optimism and quad skepticism!:chorus:

There must be others who can't do a quad in competition, while having a great one on YouTube!

merrybari

Final Flight
Off topic but a statement was made that Johnny has never lost to Chan set me to wondering when they had appeared at the same competition - perhaps 2008 Worlds?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Somehow, the first one came into my mind was Johnny.:cry:

Hmmm, mine too. Weren't there somewhere videos of Johnny landing quads and quad combos in practices and warm-ups?

But, unlike Johnny, Patrick's in the beginning of his career. If he lands that quad, two triple axels plus all other jumps and delivers complex choreo, all at the same time, it'll be great. I'll be among the first to congratulate him, although I'm not a fan of his skating or his big mouth.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Hsuhs makes a good point. Patrick is much younger than Johnny, so he is more likely to get a consistent quad over the next few years. If his quad toe follows the same pattern as his triple axel, then it may not always be landed, but it will be gorgeous when it is. Considering Patrick didn't even have a triple axel two years ago and he just medaled with it at Worlds, I think this bodes well for the future of his quad.
I also want to point out that a quad toe landed on a competition warmup is not at all the same as one landed on practice ice. In the 6-minute warmup, your adrenaline is going, you are under time pressure and you have judges and an audience watching you. Personally, I'm usually more nervous in the warmup than when I'm actually skating my program!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Last year posters were slamming Patrick because he was not even trying a Quad and did not have one planned in his program. Now this year he is practising one and plans to include it in his program and he is still getting slammed. I wonder why that is - oh wait of course I know he's Canadian! Just once I would love to see a certain poster say something nice about a Canadian skater. Guess they forget that some of the more recent Olympic medalist from the US have Canadian roots!

Um, no offense, but just because somebody doesn't like a Canadian skater doesn't mean that they're anti-Canadian. I'm Canadian, but I think Dube/Davison are the dullest pairs skaters on the scene today and will probably cry into my Molson beer if they're crowned Olympic champions.

Besides, nobody is slamming Patrick--if somebody posted a video of Johnny landing a 4-3-3 in practice, I'm sure you'll see some very similar comments.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. My goodness - hyperbole on the internet!!! Part me of me wants to dismiss hyperbole for what it is: irrational nonsense based on enthusiasm and anticipation. But on the other hand, hyperbole is also just passion run a bit too far. And frankly, we're on a message board debating with strangers the nuances of underrotation or about the disappointments in music selection. It doesn't seem that out of hand that hyperbole slips in (on both sides).

2. I don't think anyone disagrees that a competition is different from an isolated moment in practice. But given that all we knew up until now was that Chan had said he was landing quads in practice (aka, we don't really know the truth behind that) and his attempt at Liberty (which I didn't like). So actually seeing a nicely rotated quad with flow is somewhat noteworthy.

3. I think it's possible to hate Canadian Figure Skating and not be anti-Canadian - especially if you don't like the COP (which is why Bianchetti always makes me laugh).

Um, no offense, but just because somebody doesn't like a Canadian skater doesn't mean that they're anti-Canadian. I'm Canadian, but I think Dube/Davison are the dullest pairs skaters on the scene today and will probably cry into my Molson beer if they're crowned Olympic champions.

I predict your Molson beer will remain tear free.

Last edited:

oxade21

Match Penalty
I am expecting next thread to be "Patrick Chan farted in warm up".... two weeks later "Patrick Chan farted in competition".

Chan ain't no Tiger Woods!!!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Hmmm, mine too. Weren't there somewhere videos of Johnny landing quads and quad combos in practices and warm-ups?

But, unlike Johnny, Patrick's in the beginning of his career. If he lands that quad, two triple axels plus all other jumps and delivers complex choreo, all at the same time, it'll be great. I'll be among the first to congratulate him, although I'm not a fan of his skating or his big mouth.

I don't mean to be specifically negative but just want to point out the fact. This video about Johnny Weir's quad was taped, I believe, in 2004-05 season. My guess is it was during 2005 Worlds. At that time Johnny was 20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUldWQuk0TE

Last edited:

kudryavka

Rinkside
It's good for Patrick Chan and his fans but my first impression was "so what?" Because many skaters were able to landing quads clean in practice.
I have seen Nobunari Oda landed big beautiful quads (even 4-3-3!!) easily during 6 min practice of NHK trophy last season :rolleye:

I am expecting next thread to be "Patrick Chan farted in warm up".... two weeks later "Patrick Chan farted in competition".
I can't stop laughing :rofl:

Last edited:

psycho

On the Ice
I don't mean to be specifically nagetive but just want to point out the fact. This video about Johnny Weir's quad was taped, I believe, in 2004-05 season. My guess is it was during 2005 Worlds. At that time Johnny was 20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUldWQuk0TE

Exactly. When Johnny appeared at his first worlds, at the ripe age of 19, he was already "doing quads in practice".

However, I think Johnny's issue with quads is purely psychological: he seems deathly afraid of that jump and has a mental block when it comes to doing it in his program. So maybe "Johnny and the Quad" saga is not the most typical case of a top skater learning a new jump. Maybe Oda would be a better comparison.

kudryavka

Rinkside
Maybe Oda would be a better comparison.
Yes I agree with u :yes: There is a video of Oda's "4-3-3 in practice"

NHK '08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMVBi0w0Vz8 (in 6 min practice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pIsEBXCeM (0:46~)
Worlds '09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_D9YN_quU

btw I think Chan doesn't need any quads. why he wants to do it??? I watched him in World Team Trophy. There was not even one triple axel but he got very good score in free - over 150, if I remember correctly. This is not sarcasm but frankly I don't think that he really try quads in competitions and Olympics.

Last edited: