Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Olympics TV coverage in the states vs. Ausralia

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    558

    Olympics TV coverage in the states vs. Ausralia

    For the coming olympics ideally I want to fly to Vancouver and see the event live, but plan B is to be somewhere with the best TV coverage! In the past, how was the TV coverage in the following places?

    The States (NBC)
    My sister lives in LA so I can fly. Was the coverage live for Torino? With the event in the same time zone, maybe it will be live this time?

    Australia (Seven)
    I was (and am) in Sydney for Torino. Delayed coverage. It was so frustrating and tricky downloading (amazing) files from the net whilist trying not to be accidentally spoiled! What was the case for Salt Lake, Nagano, etc.? Do we have any hope for a live coverage you reckon?

    Japan (NHK Hi Vision)
    Where my parents are. And I know the coverage will be live and fantastic!
    Last edited by hikki; 08-08-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,728
    US - no, it was NOT live in the US in 2002 when the games were in a more western time zone... it was tape delayed because *gasp!* those poor east coasters didn't want to stay up late to watch (suck it up, ya wimps! we on the west coast deserve some live coverage once in a while too!)

  3. #3
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,691
    In the US, NBC will probably carry live coverage of Vancouver, but only on the East Coast and in the Midwest. West Coast viewers (including LA) will likely be delayed in favor of "prime time" coverage (the events will be on live during the early evening there, which is during prime time on the east coast)

    Sounds like Japan is your best bet.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    US - no, it was NOT live in the US in 2002 when the games were in a more western time zone... it was tape delayed because *gasp!* those poor east coasters didn't want to stay up late to watch (suck it up, ya wimps! we on the west coast deserve some live coverage once in a while too!)
    I can never understand NBC. They pay heck a lot of money for rights to show the events and then don't bother to show them live. When even the developing countries who hardly pay much get to show them live.

    It kills the excitement when you know the results and NBC can not find out a way to shut down the web i guess.

  5. #5
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,691
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    I can never understand NBC. They pay heck a lot of money for rights to show the events and then don't bother to show them live. When even the developing countries who hardly pay much get to show them live.

    It kills the excitement when you know the results and NBC can not find out a way to shut down the web i guess.
    It's all about the ratings. NBC prefers to show the events in Prime Time when most viewers are available to watch TV. Live coverage would often be in the afternoon (or sometimes, in the middle of the night) and then, of course you'd probably have fewer people watching. It's their business model- I bet if ESPN got the games they'd be showing more stuff live. (That said, I don't want that to happen just because they'd hardly show anything on ABC)

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    558
    Thanks for your posts. NBC is great when it comes to practice reports, but you're right about them not showing things live...

  7. #7
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    For the coming olympics ideally I want to fly to Vancouver and see the event live, but plan B is to be somewhere with the best TV coverage! In the past, how was the TV coverage in the following places?

    The States (NBC)
    My sister lives in LA so I can fly. Was the coverage live for Torino? With the event in the same time zone, maybe it will be live this time?

    Australia (Seven)
    I was (and am) in Sydney for Torino. Delayed coverage. It was so frustrating and tricky downloading (amazing) files from the net whilist trying not to be accidentally spoiled! What was the case for Salt Lake, Nagano, etc.? Do we have any hope for a live coverage you reckon?

    Japan (NHK Hi Vision)

    here my parents are. And I know the coverage will be live and fantastic!

    I live in Vancouver - it was announced on our local news coverage tonight that the US - NBC network - will cover the Olympics right from a fantastic venue on Grouse Mountain! It will be first class and quite the high profile for us. There will be big name stars flown in and out by helicopter. So have no fear, the US will have one of the best "seats" in the house!!


    http://www.vancouversun.com/Today+sh...207/story.html

  8. #8
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,175
    where is Ausralia? between Australia and Austria?

  9. #9
    Medalist coconutpunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fog Central.
    Posts
    77
    NHK Hi Vision by a mile.

    Not only will it be in HD, there will most likely be two audio tracks available as usual: one with commentary (Yuka or Shiz?) and one without. Then there's the fact that unlike Fuji TV or TV Asahi - the stations with rights to the GPS and Worlds - NHK broadcasts will air all four disciplines and is commercial-free.

    Doesn't hurt that you get to watch skating live on NHK, either!
    Last edited by coconutpunch; 08-13-2009 at 12:55 AM.

  10. #10
    Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    882
    For 1998 Olys I was on the East Coast and there was a hotline set up that you could call to get the results if you just could not wait for it to be televised. Now you would just get the results on the internet. On the day of the ladies' competition, I couldn't take it and had to call. Knowing the results ruined watching it for me. Sadly, I find that usually I still can't take it and will find out the results of an event before watching. I have not learned my lesson at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •