Olympics TV coverage in the states vs. Ausralia | Golden Skate

Olympics TV coverage in the states vs. Ausralia

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
For the coming olympics ideally I want to fly to Vancouver and see the event live, but plan B is to be somewhere with the best TV coverage! In the past, how was the TV coverage in the following places?

The States (NBC)
My sister lives in LA so I can fly. Was the coverage live for Torino? With the event in the same time zone, maybe it will be live this time?

Australia (Seven)
I was (and am) in Sydney for Torino. Delayed coverage. It was so frustrating and tricky downloading (amazing) files from the net whilist trying not to be accidentally spoiled! What was the case for Salt Lake, Nagano, etc.? Do we have any hope for a live coverage you reckon?

Japan (NHK Hi Vision)
Where my parents are. And I know the coverage will be live and fantastic!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
US - no, it was NOT live in the US in 2002 when the games were in a more western time zone... it was tape delayed because *gasp!* those poor east coasters didn't want to stay up late to watch (suck it up, ya wimps! we on the west coast deserve some live coverage once in a while too!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
In the US, NBC will probably carry live coverage of Vancouver, but only on the East Coast and in the Midwest. West Coast viewers (including LA) will likely be delayed in favor of "prime time" coverage (the events will be on live during the early evening there, which is during prime time on the east coast)

Sounds like Japan is your best bet.

life684

Final Flight
US - no, it was NOT live in the US in 2002 when the games were in a more western time zone... it was tape delayed because *gasp!* those poor east coasters didn't want to stay up late to watch (suck it up, ya wimps! we on the west coast deserve some live coverage once in a while too!)

I can never understand NBC. They pay heck a lot of money for rights to show the events and then don't bother to show them live. When even the developing countries who hardly pay much get to show them live.

It kills the excitement when you know the results and NBC can not find out a way to shut down the web i guess.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can never understand NBC. They pay heck a lot of money for rights to show the events and then don't bother to show them live. When even the developing countries who hardly pay much get to show them live.

It kills the excitement when you know the results and NBC can not find out a way to shut down the web i guess.

It's all about the ratings. NBC prefers to show the events in Prime Time when most viewers are available to watch TV. Live coverage would often be in the afternoon (or sometimes, in the middle of the night) and then, of course you'd probably have fewer people watching. It's their business model- I bet if ESPN got the games they'd be showing more stuff live. (That said, I don't want that to happen just because they'd hardly show anything on ABC)

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Thanks for your posts. NBC is great when it comes to practice reports, but you're right about them not showing things live...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
For the coming olympics ideally I want to fly to Vancouver and see the event live, but plan B is to be somewhere with the best TV coverage! In the past, how was the TV coverage in the following places?

The States (NBC)
My sister lives in LA so I can fly. Was the coverage live for Torino? With the event in the same time zone, maybe it will be live this time?

Australia (Seven)
I was (and am) in Sydney for Torino. Delayed coverage. It was so frustrating and tricky downloading (amazing) files from the net whilist trying not to be accidentally spoiled! What was the case for Salt Lake, Nagano, etc.? Do we have any hope for a live coverage you reckon?

Japan (NHK Hi Vision)

here my parents are. And I know the coverage will be live and fantastic!

I live in Vancouver - it was announced on our local news coverage tonight that the US - NBC network - will cover the Olympics right from a fantastic venue on Grouse Mountain! It will be first class and quite the high profile for us. There will be big name stars flown in and out by helicopter. So have no fear, the US will have one of the best "seats" in the house!!

http://www.vancouversun.com/Today+s...ouse+Mountain+during+Games/1885207/story.html

coconutpunch

Rinkside
NHK Hi Vision by a mile. :yes:

Not only will it be in HD, there will most likely be two audio tracks available as usual: one with commentary (Yuka or Shiz?) and one without. Then there's the fact that unlike Fuji TV or TV Asahi - the stations with rights to the GPS and Worlds - NHK broadcasts will air all four disciplines and is commercial-free.

Doesn't hurt that you get to watch skating live on NHK, either!

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
For 1998 Olys I was on the East Coast and there was a hotline set up that you could call to get the results if you just could not wait for it to be televised. Now you would just get the results on the internet. On the day of the ladies' competition, I couldn't take it and had to call. Knowing the results ruined watching it for me. Sadly, I find that usually I still can't take it and will find out the results of an event before watching. I have not learned my lesson at all.