Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim's programs unveiled

Custom Title
    Wow, I am pleasantly surprised. Quite bold choices and change of style for the Olympic year. But, I'm very happy with the unique selections. I was so expecting Swan Lake or God knows another War-Horse Snoozer.

James Bond will fit nicely as a SP.

Her Concerto in F, is a excellent music choice, however whether she can pull it off or not is the question. Does she have the personality for it? Jazz nuances?

Remember, this Piece is not as "Easy" to skate to as Rhapsody in Blue in my opinion. It's a very rhythmic number, with many jazz undertones.

Remember Emily Hughes SP for Torino Olympics? She uses the most famous cuts from the concerto. That in itself was a well-structured, decent program by Emily, so we'll see how Kim will do with it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I guess Wilson wanted to make very unique, artistic pieces with more contemporary twists. The TAT team is very classical so that it may be a nice contrast. I only hope that it wouldn't be too difficult as Jeff's original LP for the Olympic season.
    Anglo contemporary vs. Russian classical?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I am trying not to say anything mean until I hear the cuts for her short, but really? 007? That is so Brian Joubert trying to be macho. Not lovely, elegant, graceful sexy yu-na. Please say it is not this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1tc493bZM
    Exactly what I thought! (And wow, my source turns out to be right. I heard of this rumor as early as the late June). I remember my first reaction was like: "why does Yuna want to snatch away Joubert's music? Hmm, must be something wrong." I guess I always have a soft spot for the classical, ethereal, the-Lark-Ascending Yuna so I wasn't very keen on this 007 idea at first. But as I have had some time to digest this information, it has gradually grown on me. This should be a dynamic piece, and it can offer a lot of oppurutnies for the skater to "act" and "perform," that is, to be dramatic, which is Yuna's strong suit.

Besides, the music is seldom done by women in competitions (are there any? I know Debi Thomas and Joannie Rochette skated to 007-related music at exhibitions) and so is pretty original and should be fun and refreshing to see.

(The same goes with Evan. I think it's good for a change to see a man skating to Scheherazade!)

Anyway, I'm her fan. A fan is supposed to be hopeful, optimistic, and supportive when it comes to music choices!

I'm pleasantly surprised that her LP music turns out to be Gershwin's concerto

ETA: OMG, one of the 007 medley selection is "From Russia with Love"? I hate that CHEESY song!!!!!
    OK, I'm a fan, supposed to be hopeful, optimistic, and supportive... Please, please keep that "Russia" part as short as possible.
    Last edited by SusieH; 08-11-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Banned
    Some gutsy choices there. I am really curious about how Wilson's touch on the 007 music would turn out.

Custom Title
    omg what a disastrous choice! james bond medley is so unfeminine and can't see it becoming a masterpiece like danse macabre. or tango de roxanne. she would do so much better to go to something classical.

when i saw rachel flatt skate to jazzy type music i thought it was rather boring because it all sort of continues on with no real phrasing and character. most of the music cannot really be remembered in tunes.

both risky for olympics- i hope she changes the sp at least.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlondon View Post
    omg what a disastrous choice! james bond medley is so unfeminine and can't see it becoming a masterpiece like danse macabre. or tango de roxanne. she would do so much better to go to something classical.
    Only classical music is feminine? Huh? Why should femininity be limited only to specific things? Plenty of very feminine actresses have done Bond movies, including some who had pretty strong parts. She can use some of the theme songs, there have been a few really good ones over the years (not From Russia With Love, though, ugh).

I love this choice. It's different from most of the other ladies, she can do something edgier, more powerful and dramatic. I'm finally looking forward to a lady's program precisely because it's not tinkly piano music and a pastel dress. I really want to see what Kim and Wilson do with it.

I only feel sorry for Tamar Katz, who's also skating to the Gershwin concerto for the LP. I hope she'll do a good job, but it's not a comparison that will do her any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Only classical music is feminine? Huh? Why should femininity be limited only to specific things? Plenty of very feminine actresses have done Bond movies, including some who had pretty strong parts. She can use some of the theme songs, there have been a few really good ones over the years (not From Russia With Love, though, ugh).

I love this choice. It's different from most of the other ladies, she can do something edgier, more powerful and dramatic. I'm finally looking forward to a lady's program precisely because it's not tinkly piano music and a pastel dress. I really want to see what Kim and Wilson do with it.
    Agreed! I think it's great that she's chosen something so different from the other ladies. And to those thinking it's not feminine....are you nuts? Bond films are just as noted for their "bond girls" who are more often than not hugely strong characters. I just hope that she doesn't get "007" printed on the back of her costume

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Agreed! I think it's great that she's chosen something so different from the other ladies. And to those thinking it's not feminine....are you nuts? Bond films are just as noted for their "bond girls" who are more often than not hugely strong characters. I just hope that she doesn't get "007" printed on the back of her costume

Ant
    or on the front, which is what Joubert did with his

And it is not necessary for her to become a femme fatale kind of Bond's girl. She can be James Bond, a cool spy/hard-boiled detective. In fact, she can play both or more roles in that piece: masculine, feminine, and androgenous. I hope they can use this somewhat unconventional piece to explore a lot of different possibilities. It should be fun.

Is there a possibility for her to skate in pants? Judging from her exhibition programs, think she looks very beautiful in pants. I also think Irina Slutskaya and Carolina Kostner look simply stunning in pants. Seriously, there should be more women skating in pants.

It seems I'm into this 007 idea more and more. Really look forward to seeing her new programs

Quote Originally Posted by SusieH View Post
    or on the front, which is what Joubert did with his
    Trust me to go and get it wrong!! I think i was thinking of Kevin VDP's "Exit" which was on the back of his costume!

And it is not necessary for her to become a femme fatale kind of Bond's girl. She can be James Bond, a cool spy/hard-boiled detective. In fact, she can play both or more roles in that piece: masculine, feminine, and androgenous. I hope they can use this somewhat unconventional piece to explore a lot of different possibilities. It should be fun.
    Oh absolutely! I think this could show a whole new side of Yuna and personally I can't wait to see what they've done with it and what they're going to use music-wise.

Is there a possibility for her to skate in pants? Judging from her exhibition programs, think she looks very beautiful in pants. I also think Irina Slutskaya and Carolina Kostner look simply stunning in pants. Seriously, there should be more women skating in pants.
    I agree she should skate in pants. Don't forget Fumie Suguri also looked stunning in her pants/corset get up for an SP a few years back.

It seems I'm into this 007 idea more and more. Really look forward to seeing her new programs
    I agree - for the first time in a really long time i'm looking forward to seeing one of the ladies parogrammes!

Ant

I feel that Miki also may look nice skating to 007.

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Trust me to go and get it wrong!! I think i was thinking of Kevin VDP's "Exit" which was on the back of his costume!
    Joubert had at least two James Bond costumes, he used one with the 007 on the front in 2005-6, but then in 2006-7 it was on the back. So you were right!

And Yu-Na should certainly wear pants, it'll look great. I can't believe you called them pants, though. V. surprising!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Well, I applaud Yu-Na for daring to be bold and different. What a far range of music these selections are in comparison to what she has skated to in the past. There are those who are considered seasoned veterans of the sport who have been performing much longer than Kim and have not stretched their musical versatility much at all. I love to see the skaters take on new personas on the ice and I really look forward to seeing Yu-Na's transformation.

I really like the pants idea too! Irina, Fumie, Carolina, and Joannie all looked stunning and cool in their pant suits. Very femme fatale!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 08-11-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

And Yu-Na should certainly wear pants, it'll look great. I can't believe you called them pants, though. V. surprising!
    I thought i'd go with it rather than write tons of paragraphs explaining why i hadn't used it!

Ant

Really??? 007???

Tripping on the Podium
    007?WOW!I love this choice!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast