Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Emily Hughes article/skating update

Custom Title

Emily Hughes article/skating update

Latest Emily Hughes article/skating update: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am stunned that she is taking a year of school for a distant shot at the olympic team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I am stunned that she is taking a year of school for a distant shot at the olympic team.
    I think much of her determination to go to nationals this season is that she doesn't want 2008 Trophee Bompard to be her final event. Even if she doesn't make the Olympic team, if she skates well, her career will have a high note.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I think much of her determination to go to nationals this season is that she doesn't want 2008 Trophee Bompard to be her final event. Even if she doesn't make the Olympic team, if she skates well, her career will have a high note.
    This quote sounds to me like your theory is correct:

The last time I competed . . . that's not the way I want to go out," she said. "I want to look forward."

Shoe Diva
    Uh-Oh! The Return of TA-DA!!!

My son will be tickled pink... she's his favorite and the only reason he'll watch skating with his mother. Such is life...

I don't know how much chance she may have for the Olympics but she is still young and perhaps can afford a year off from school to focus on another passion of hers.

Custom Title
    Emily looks like she has slimmed down a little.

Banned
    July 4th, Emily Hughes

Michael Jackson medley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKstcqtOuw

U2 Program
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1xGY4q9m4

Emily got her work cut out. She couldn't even land a 2A.

Three 2A attemps, fell TWICE.

Quote Originally Posted by emilygolden View Post
    July 4th, Emily Hughes

Michael Jackson medley

U2 Program

Well, it was 6 weeks ago and she probably improved, by now. However, it's not promising since I don't remember her being consistently consistent in completing her jumps.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    July 4th, Emily Hughes

Michael Jackson medley

U2 Program

Well nice to see her again. 2 falls and 1 pop on a double axel during a no pressure show. She would have to pull off a comeback for the ages to make the olympic team and would have to improve quite a lot to even get to nationals. She looks very slim and fit...funny, usually when skaters gain weight they lose their jumps. The programs pretty much just looked like she was playing pop music at her practice session...I gotta say, Evan did Billie Jean better.

Custom Title
    I'm thrilled to see her back. I've always enjoyed her skating. And why not take a year off school? School will always be there. It's an Olympic year. Why not take a chance. Good for her.

And why so many comments on her weight right off the bat? So much negativity. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by isk82 View Post
    And why so many comments on her weight right off the bat? So much negativity. :-(
    especially after Jenny Kirk's articles on the subject.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by isk82 View Post
    And why so many comments on her weight right off the bat?
    I never understood why people made fun of her weight to begin with.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Well nice to see her again. 2 falls and 1 pop on a double axel during a no pressure show. She would have to pull off a comeback for the ages to make the olympic team and would have to improve quite a lot to even get to nationals. She looks very slim and fit...funny, usually when skaters gain weight they lose their jumps. The programs pretty much just looked like she was playing pop music at her practice session...I gotta say, Evan did Billie Jean better.
    You know what, screw the mistakes. I'm just glad to see her performing again.

I said it with Cohen and I'll say it again here: exhibitions mean NOTHING.

That said, if she's really looking to be on the Olympic team again, it's a fighting chance at best. But unlike a few others I'm not gonna take digs at her while saying there's no chance at all.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    But unlike a few others I'm not gonna take digs at her while saying there's no chance at all.
    I agree. I think her Olympic chances this time around are nonexistent, but it's very petty to me to see people make eville comments about her, especially when she's already down (not that I'm saying it's okay to make such comments about athletes who are at the top either). It's one thing to critique her skating style, but people should be ashamed of themselves for slamming her physical appearance the way I have seen on skating forums.

The fact that she is still out there trying and hasn't given up despite all the adversity against her is to be respected. Like I said on FSU, I think the girl has serious guts for the fact that she's decided to continue on and fight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast