Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Emily Hughes article/skating update

Custom Title
    I didn't really get the feeling from the article that the olympic team was her foremost priority. I mean, she just seemed to want to prolong her career, do what she loves, and show people what's she's made of. I mean, Trophee Eric Bombard -would- be a kinda lousy way to go out. If this is what she wants, good for her. I mean, Harvard isn't going anywhere, but she can't be a figure skater forever. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts. I don't think she's got a shot for the team; I don't see her beating Wagner, Nagasu, Zhang or Flatt, but who knows? As long as she's enjoying herself and at peace with her decision, I definitely think she made the right choice.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyascii View Post
    I didn't really get the feeling from the article that the olympic team was her foremost priority. I mean, she just seemed to want to prolong her career, do what she loves, and show people what's she's made of. I mean, Trophee Eric Bombard -would- be a kinda lousy way to go out. If this is what she wants, good for her. I mean, Harvard isn't going anywhere, but she can't be a figure skater forever.
    I agree that a figure skater's career is short lived and if she wants to be anything in this sport she cant put it off for tomorrow. BUt if that was really the case I question why she more or less quit the sport to go to school. Her sister is an Ivy Leauger. She knows how tough the course load is. She knew that finals would fall the same time of year as Nationals and that midterms and the GP would co-encide. But she applied and she got in anyway and good for her. Thousands of young people would die to be in her shoes. If she wanted to come back "for the love of the sport" she would have come back last season. I think she is hoping to make the olympic team. In my opinion it is not worth it....leaving all her classmates and college friends for a tiny chance.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I agree that a figure skater's career is short lived and if she wants to be anything in this sport she cant put it off for tomorrow. BUt if that was really the case I question why she more or less quit the sport to go to school. Her sister is an Ivy Leauger. She knows how tough the course load is. She knew that finals would fall the same time of year as Nationals and that midterms and the GP would co-encide. But she applied and she got in anyway and good for her. Thousands of young people would die to be in her shoes. If she wanted to come back "for the love of the sport" she would have come back last season. I think she is hoping to make the olympic team. In my opinion it is not worth it....leaving all her classmates and college friends for a tiny chance.
    Well, say she doesn't qualify for Nats. That's only one semester out. Not too bad if you think about it.

Even if she does get on the Oly Team, that's one year. Still not too bad.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Well, say she doesn't qualify for Nats. That's only one semester out. Not too bad if you think about it.
    True. She coudl easily make up those credits in the summer and with additional classes in the years to come.
    Even if she does get on the Oly Team, that's one year. Still not too bad.
    But if she makes it to Nationals, and then does not make the team she will have wasted her whole Spring Semester.

Custom Title
    I, too, believe the ONLY reason why Hughes is taking a year off from Harvard is that she wants to make the Olympic team once again. She doesn't have to come out and say it for that to be true.

Last season she seemed to have totally lost whatever competitive edge she ever had; it's apparently gotten a lot worse since then. As of the beginning of July, Emily wasn't even able to land a decent 2A, which once was her money jump. In two exhibition numbers from early July, Emily attempted four 2As, but landed only one (she fell on the other 3). And the one she landed did not appear to have been fully rotated.

That gives her just 3-4 months to work on her skating before she has to go through Regionals and Sectionals. Surely she knows she's nowhere near being competitive with the top ladies from 2009 Nationals. Is she self-deluded? Or is she just getting bad advice from those close to her.

Tripping on the Podium
    I believe Harvard starts spring semester slightly later than other schools, so she could probably work something out to go to Nationals and still do the spring semester.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    But if she makes it to Nationals, and then does not make the team she will have wasted her whole Spring Semester.
    If she enjoys training and trying her best to qualify to the Olympics (or whatever her exact goals are... She needs to get to Nationals first), then I don't think she will have wasted any time. All she can ask of herself is to train hard and enjoy the process. College can wait, and it's possible she could be back for Spring Semester anyway, if she really wants to.

Custom Title
    She took off from school because the Harvard exam period is the week before Nationals. That was probably part of the reason why she withdrew from the last two Nationals just about a week ahead of time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3