Emily Hughes article/skating update | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes article/skating update

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am stunned that she is taking a year of school for a distant shot at the olympic team.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I am stunned that she is taking a year of school for a distant shot at the olympic team.

I think much of her determination to go to nationals this season is that she doesn't want 2008 Trophee Bompard to be her final event. Even if she doesn't make the Olympic team, if she skates well, her career will have a high note.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think much of her determination to go to nationals this season is that she doesn't want 2008 Trophee Bompard to be her final event. Even if she doesn't make the Olympic team, if she skates well, her career will have a high note.

This quote sounds to me like your theory is correct:

The last time I competed . . . that's not the way I want to go out," she said. "I want to look forward."

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Uh-Oh! The Return of TA-DA!!!

My son will be tickled pink... she's his favorite and the only reason he'll watch skating with his mother. Such is life...

Bennett

Record Breaker
I don't know how much chance she may have for the Olympics but she is still young and perhaps can afford a year off from school to focus on another passion of hers.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
July 4th, Emily Hughes

Michael Jackson medley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKstcqtOuw

U2 Program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1xGY4q9m4

Emily got her work cut out. She couldn't even land a 2A.

Three 2A attemps, fell TWICE.

Well nice to see her again. 2 falls and 1 pop on a double axel during a no pressure show. She would have to pull off a comeback for the ages to make the olympic team and would have to improve quite a lot to even get to nationals. She looks very slim and fit...funny, usually when skaters gain weight they lose their jumps. The programs pretty much just looked like she was playing pop music at her practice session...I gotta say, Evan did Billie Jean better.

isk82

On the Ice
I'm thrilled to see her back. I've always enjoyed her skating. And why not take a year off school? School will always be there. It's an Olympic year. Why not take a chance. Good for her.

And why so many comments on her weight right off the bat? So much negativity. :-(

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well nice to see her again. 2 falls and 1 pop on a double axel during a no pressure show. She would have to pull off a comeback for the ages to make the olympic team and would have to improve quite a lot to even get to nationals. She looks very slim and fit...funny, usually when skaters gain weight they lose their jumps. The programs pretty much just looked like she was playing pop music at her practice session...I gotta say, Evan did Billie Jean better.

You know what, screw the mistakes. I'm just glad to see her performing again.

I said it with Cohen and I'll say it again here: exhibitions mean NOTHING.

That said, if she's really looking to be on the Olympic team again, it's a fighting chance at best. But unlike a few others I'm not gonna take digs at her while saying there's no chance at all.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But unlike a few others I'm not gonna take digs at her while saying there's no chance at all.

I agree. I think her Olympic chances this time around are nonexistent, but it's very petty to me to see people make eville comments about her, especially when she's already down (not that I'm saying it's okay to make such comments about athletes who are at the top either). It's one thing to critique her skating style, but people should be ashamed of themselves for slamming her physical appearance the way I have seen on skating forums.

The fact that she is still out there trying and hasn't given up despite all the adversity against her is to be respected. Like I said on FSU, I think the girl has serious guts for the fact that she's decided to continue on and fight.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I am not ruling anyone out this year. This is after all and Olympic Season!!! Good luck to her!!

Exactly! Her sister was the bronze medalist at Nationals and we all remember what she went on to do after that.

Imagine--if Nikodinov had skated well at Nationals that year...

At any rate, best of luck to Emily. Hopefully, she has her "Olympic" skate somewhere, whether it's at the Olympics, nationals, regionals, worlds, or even a cheesefest, I hope she gets that magic skate that she will remember for the rest of her life.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Exactly! Her sister was the bronze medalist at Nationals and we all remember what she went on to do after that.

The main difference this year being that the bronze medal at nationals will not give you a ticket to the Olympics though.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hopefully, she has her "Olympic" skate somewhere, whether it's at the Olympics, nationals, regionals, worlds, or even a cheesefest, I hope she gets that magic skate that she will remember for the rest of her life.

'nuf said :rock::rock::rock::rock:

heyang

Record Breaker
She looks very slim and fit...funny, usually when skaters gain weight they lose their jumps.

...I gotta say, Evan did Billie Jean better.

It's possible that Emily lost muscle mass, which would explain why she's slimmer and is having problems with her jumps. When Midori Ito re-instated for another Olympics after 1992, she had slimmed down greatly and could not jump with the same power.

For me, I don't feel the music when Emly skates. I do feel she's enjoying herself, but don't feel that she's experiencing or feeling the music from within.

Anyway, as I mentioned, those routines were recorded more than 6 weeks ago and she should have improved.