Two new sports recommended for Olympics | Golden Skate

Two new sports recommended for Olympics

beep_beep

Medalist
Golf, really ??? Will they give medals to the caddies too? Going around the field in an electric car sounds really athletic...

Ahh, just venting because roller sports wasn't picked... again!!! :mad:

CuttingEdge3

Spectator
What bothers me about adding golf (and the same goes for tennis) is that its really all the same players that we see competing against each other every season in every Major/Grand Slam event.

Nothing special.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, that's true in everything except the bigtime team sports--in skating,we're not going to see anyone we haven't seen before at a World Championships or a National Championship.

Only when you get a hockey or basketball dream team (or similar) is there an interesting mixup of faces.

life684

Final Flight
Me too!!:clap: I'm sad softball and baseball have been eliminated though. Very bad decisions there.

Wow, if softball and baseball is in olympics that will be good argument for squash and 20-20 cricket. at least that will have huge viewership in commonwealth.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Can the US-Americans take their best football players and make a Rugby team out of them? The differences aren't so big. Though the Football players look often bulkier and more muscular than the Rugby players.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm sad softball and baseball have been eliminated though. Very bad decisions there.
Baseball and softball were eliminated four years ago - Beijing was intended to be the last games for both. As I understand it, the IOC's problem with baseball was that the top players couldn't play because it's during the season, and also because MLB has had lots of steroid scandals, which did not make a good impression. Softball just got swept up in that, which does seem rather unfair.

Golf, really ??? Will they give medals to the caddies too? Going around the field in an electric car sounds really athletic...
I think golfers and caddies are supposed to walk on the course. I remember there was a case with a disabled golfer who tried to make it into the PGA tour and he had to go to court to be allowed to use a cart, or something like that.

I get the addition of golf, it's popular and has worldwide appeal. I don't understand why rugby was added, how is it more appealing or global than baseball? Is it true they're adding women's rugby, too?

Can the US-Americans take their best football players and make a Rugby team out of them? The differences aren't so big. Though the Football players look often bulkier and more muscular than the Rugby players.
No, because those are actually two very different sports (else rugby players would probably cross over to make some money in the NFL - it can get pretty lucrative). Also, the NFL and college football season start around the same time the Olympics are held - late August/early Septmeber. As football players get injured a lot due to the physical nature of the game, nobody would risk sending players to the Olympics right before the season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah as was said earlier, it'd be a huge adjustment to get a rugby team together out of football players...

they'll just hire a bunch of drunk college hooligans to play ;) (so totally kidding)

4dogknight

Final Flight
From what I hear the next sports to be added are paint drying and grass growing. These two should pick up a lot more TV viewers and plant seats in the stands.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'd rather watch the paint drying and grass growing than those two. I would watch dancing, though.