Moran Memorial (Aug. 28-30 in Hackensack, NJ) | Golden Skate

Moran Memorial (Aug. 28-30 in Hackensack, NJ)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
This club competion takes place August 28-30 at the Ice House in Hackensack, New Jersey.

Schedule: http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingMoranChampionshipsSchedule09.pdf

Registered skaters: http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingMoranCHampionshipsGroupings09.pdf

SENIOR LADIES include Elene Gedevanishvili (GEO), Ashley Wagner, Emily Hughes, Joelle Forte (AZE?), Samantha Cesario, Ksenia Makarova (RUS), Daniela-Bella Favot (CAN).

SENIOR MEN include: Stephen Carriere, Shaun Rogers, Viktor Pfeifer (AUT).

JUNIORS include Alexander Zahradnicek and Christine Mozer.

Emily Hughes may decide to compete at another club comp. and not here (she mentioned 2 other possible comps besides this one in her recent article -- link to article thread). As for Joelle Forte, we'll just have to wait and see if she ends up skating for AZE at Nebelhorn Trophy (the preliminary Nebelhorn roster had a "TBC" next to her name/country).

Ashley Wagner confirms in her August 12th journal entry that she plans to debut her new programs at this competition. Her coach, Priscilla Hill, is scheduled to bring several of her other students here -- Carriere, Rogers, Pfeifer, Zahradnicek.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Interesting ladies competition. I can't wait to see the results and videos.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner tweeted that she "had a good program" but other than that, I don't know. She makes no mention of where she placed.

Trewyn

Medalist
Thanks for the link!! Sad to see Ashley still flutzes. But still good for her to have a good SP in her try-out competition.. Hopefully her long will be clean and solid too!! And hopefully someone is taping the competition and puts in on youtube.. But that's doubtful..

Btw was Emily Hughes at this competition???

MasterB

Final Flight
Ladies SHort

Ksenia Makarova - opened with 3toe-3toe, 3flip, 2axel. she stepped out of the combo but good skate overall.

Elena Gede - I was holding my breath for her, but she skated a clean program. SHe hit the opening lutz, 3toe-2toe, and 2axel. Combo meant to be 3-3. She skated to fever and it was a good skate.

Ashely Wagner - Skated solid with a beatiful gray dress. Her music selection was horrid. This piece of music(don't know the name) will not do anything to inspire you. The first part sounded like someone dragging their nails through a chalkboard.

Emily Hughes - no hughes surprise here, she didn't show.

Samantha Cesarino - Skated clean with 3flip-2toe, 3sal, 2xel.

Joel Forte - Skated clean (no surprise there). She seems to have no personality in her program.

MEN Short

Carriere- skated solid to carmina burrana. 3axel, 3lutz-2toe, 3flip. Performed better that prior programs, at least to my taste.

Rogers - hand down on 4toe, step-out of 3axel and fall on 3flip. he has great hangtime on his jump.

Pennington - hit 3lutz-2toe, popped 3loop. so so skate

Quadrino - skated good for him. 3sal-2toe, 3 toe, 2axel. good energy throughout.

Gillipsie - nice 3loop. fall on combo 3lutz-2toe,

Will miss long due to prior engagement, damn.......

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashely[sic] Wagner - Skated solid with a beatiful gray dress. Her music selection was horrid. This piece of music(don't know the name) will not do anything to inspire you. The first part sounded like someone dragging their nails through a chalkboard.

I watched the Youtube link and I have to agree, except I thought that the second part was more boring than the first. Good performance though.

zartian

Rinkside
Ashley's performance is so beautiful.:love: Beautiful choreography. But the music doesn't seem to do anything good for her. As one of her fan, I eagerly wish her to change music: Any sentimental, romantic music will do better with her choreography than this!

AdamFan

Rinkside
Is it just me or did Ashley get taller?

Several people thought Ashley looked taller and leaner.

Her triple flutz didn't really look severely underrotated at all. I'm starting to think that there needs to be degrees of underrotation, like there are with edge calls.

fairly4

Medalist
to me ashley has improved artisically from last year, she is interpreting the music more.

for ashley got downgraded here --alissa most defintely should have been downgraded at liberty.
ashley did skate decent and i was a bit impressed with the improvement; however she did skate a tad slow.
however with practice she should be sharp by nationals.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Ashley looks great. I love the music for her, especially the SP. Her looks very fit, very mature, and in interpreting the music very nicely. The main thing that bothered me was her spiral sequence in the freeskate did not go with the music at all, I get the feeling that it was changed to that position in the program from the "stranger's in paradise" part and does not really work musically. Of course her lutz is really going to give her trouble. She does not even try to seem to mask the inside edge at all, and even the entrances to the lutz and the flip are very similar. I really hope she can do it at Nationals this year though, I really enjoy her style.

nylynnr

On the Ice
for ashley got downgraded here --alissa most defintely should have been downgraded at liberty.

Alissa didn't compete at Liberty this season.

Ashley's triple Lutz was downgraded in the short at Moran, but not in the long. I found it difficult to tell, from my seat at least, that her Lutz in the short was under rotated; guess that's what the technical panel and their replay ability is for. I thought she, along with Elene and a few of the other senior ladies, looked terrific for this point in the season. Very fit.