Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Michelle Kwan's best performance?

Rinkside
    Her best overall performance was Salome at Worlds. Her best artistic performance was Lyra Angelica at 98 Nationals and her best technical performance was Song of the Black Swan at 01 Worlds.

And her best programs from most FAV to still FAV:

LP:
    Lyra Angelica
    Salome
    Taj Majal
    Bolero (the non-toned down Campbell and Marshall versions)
    East of Eden (1995 Metropolitan Open)
    Arianne
    Red Violin

DISLIKE: Aranjuez lacked choreography. There were too many cross-overs and a moments where she was on two feet n not even traveling across the ice. However, I have to admit I loved Morozov's straight-line footwork for it.

Tosca was not the right piece of music for her. The choreography was too simple and she moved too slowly, but she continued her great footwork of 2003-2005. It was also hard to live up to Irina's perfectly choreographed Tosca.

SP:
    The Feeling Begins
    Spartakus with the circular footwork
    Rachmaninoff
    Carmen
    Lennon and McCartney
    Othello
    Totentanz

EX:
    Fields of Gold
    Hands
    East of Eden
    Dante's Prayer
    One More Time
    Winter Song
    Last edited by bananagrl; 11-13-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    I know, right? She had sparkle even then... And that's why I struggle so much with the newbies... none have that sparkle that demands being watched.

[snip]

Who since then? They are either jumping machines, bendy straws or have interesting back stories that doesn't match up with the actual skating. Or they shine for half a season and then its all over...

Oh well. I'm probably just spoiled *shrugs*
    Oh i'm with you on the Kwan gush - but just watch the video (is it on youtube? it certainly was on the old Cruella de Kwan site!) of Mao at 11 years old competing at Senior Nationals - she is just adorable and under-rotations (and flutz) aside she stands up all six triples (steps out of a good 3S) and repeats the loop and Lutz (i think she may also hit a 3F/3Lp/3T in there too). That absolutely blew me away when i first saw that. It wasn't all about the jumps and I was at least as impressed as when i first saw some of the skaters you mentioned, perhaps moreso because of the technical content she was attempting (most of which was completed).

Ant

On the Ice
    I think the amazing thing is that she has had so many memorable programs over her career. There are very few skaters that have this amount of quality material that we can draw from (Torvil and Dean come to mind.) Her fluidity, grace, assurity and emotion was really in a leaue of it own for many years.

As an aside, I know lots of people harp on her lack of transitions and too many crossovers. While she did lack some transitions in some of her programs, her basic stroking was in a different league than everyone else. Her posture and carraige and smooth power are amazing. I could watch her just do crossovers all day. There is just something when she does her basic skating that makes you think she was born to be a skater.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Oh i'm with you on the Kwan gush - but just watch the video (is it on youtube? it certainly was on the old Cruella de Kwan site!) of Mao at 11 years old competing at Senior Nationals - she is just adorable and under-rotations (and flutz) aside she stands up all six triples (steps out of a good 3S) and repeats the loop and Lutz (i think she may also hit a 3F/3Lp/3T in there too). That absolutely blew me away when i first saw that. It wasn't all about the jumps and I was at least as impressed as when i first saw some of the skaters you mentioned, perhaps moreso because of the technical content she was attempting (most of which was completed).

Ant
    I do agree that Mao is a great talent. Its actually been interesting watching her move from straight jumping machine to having artistic capacity as wel... I hope her sake (or skate if you're in a puny mood...) that she combines her tech / artistic in one package this year. But that's true of most skaters these days... I doubt I'd loath CoP as much if skaters still practiced figures... you can tell the difference between those who began with figures and those that began with jumps. The quality of skating, esp. edge quality, just isn't the same... But again with CoP there isn't the same incentive to have that edge - which Kwan, Irina, and DivaKwara had in spades - is a beautiful thing to behold...

Long live the Kween!!!

On the Ice
    Me favorit LP is Lyra Angelica; Until now is the one i watch and watch and Fields of Gold exibition was heartbreakin

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    Song of the Black Swan, 2001 Worlds, is the one that stays with me most, for some reason.
    Me too!

And plus, Red Violin in 2000 Worlds!

Custom Title
    It occurs to me that Kwan is one of those skaters whose programs are so lovely to watch that you wouldn't care whether they were taking place in a competition or not--yet it's not likely that she'll want to pursue a professional career. Wouldn't you love to see her in a TV special of the sort that Boitano made in 1989 or so, or Browning's great CBC program that was telecast on PBS here, or the old Peggy Fleming specials? I'm sad about that, but I can't really complain, because look at the life she's chosen...grad school, work for the State Department, maybe a future as a diplomat. (It's so wonderful to see an athlete whose future promises to be even more exciting than her competitive career.) Yet I keep thinking of things she ought to skate to. The French Romantic repertoire always strikes me as compatible with her.. Also, I'd love to see her skate to the third movement of Respighi's Botticelli Triptych, which you can hear below. It is aptly the section called "The Birth of Venus."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQ9ONMsxd8

Medalist
    I love many ok ALL of her programs. But I was always dishearten that Miraculous Mandarin never came to fruition. It was the most daring piece of music anyone has ever skated to. The nuances, movement was just extraordinary.

average opinionated skate fan

amen

Quote Originally Posted by Crizzy View Post
    I love many ok ALL of her programs. But I was always dishearten that Miraculous Mandarin never came to fruition. It was the most daring piece of music anyone has ever skated to. The nuances, movement was just extraordinary.
    I couldn't agree with you more, Crizzy. I think MM was an unfinished masterpiece. I am so sorry our Kween Kwan dropped the program in favor of another.

I've recently been viewing some older skating footage and my "take" on Kwan's greatness is...while she may not have had the perfect consistency, jumps, spins, footwork and positions of other great skaters, she had the greatest mastery of all of the above in combination AND while her "positions' were not always perfect, they PERFECTLY reflected every emotion she aim to express.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3