Thread: I landed it!

Custom Title

I landed it!

I have a consistant double flip as of this morning
    At the beginning of the summer I hadn't even landed my axle and now I have my axle and four consistant doubles. Do you think it is normal to progress this fast, or if it will lead to problems. I am thinking about switching coaches, because most of my improvement has just been made by myself, not with help from my coach. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Congratulations on your fip.

And congratulations on your first GS post! Post long, post often.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    wow you must have had a busy summer! Congrats!

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Congrats on your double flip.
    If you're landing the jump consistently and with the proper technique there's nothing wrong with gaining 5 jumps in a short time. That just means you've got natural jumping ability.

Custom Title
    Thanks everyone! I've grown a couple inches in the last year and I think it's really helped my skating. (Given me more speed and height)

Custom Title
    Congratulations! That's how skating is. You make a big breakthrough and lots of progress in one year, then nothing at all the next year, then some more progress the next year. . . And sometimes you may even feel like you're going backwards, LOL! So take that great progress this year and make the most of it! :D

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8indel View Post
    I am thinking about switching coaches, because most of my improvement has just been made by myself, not with help from my coach. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    You've got all these doubles in a short time and you think you've done it all by yourself? Why have a coach at all? Sorry for the sarcasm, but unless your coach didn't give you any lessons, then I think you're selling him/her short.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Very well done on landing the double flip and all your progress over the summer, you're doing really well.

The one thing i would advise if you have been working without a coach is to just check in with a coach and show them your jumps because it might be that while you're landing them there may be technical errors with them that would make them not count for a test/competition.

Happy skating - and good luck - i hope you continue to progress as well as you seem to have!
    Ant

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Wow! Congrats!

Custom Title
    I'm not trying to sound like I'm selling my coach short. The fact of the matter is that he is just very old, and can't do jumps or spins or anything like that. That is actually the main reason why I am switching, because he can no longer physically show me or help me.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8indel View Post
    I have a consistant double flip as of this morning
    At the beginning of the summer I hadn't even landed my axle and now I have my axle and four consistant doubles. Do you think it is normal to progress this fast, or if it will lead to problems. I am thinking about switching coaches, because most of my improvement has just been made by myself, not with help from my coach. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Wow! Congraulations! I think the axle is the breaker, once you get that it opens up your confidence. Although, I may never know????

Rinkside
    The fact of the matter is that he is just very old, and can't do jumps or spins or anything like that. That is actually the main reason why I am switching, because he can no longer physically show me or help me.
    Like I said, I have no problem with people changing coaches. I don't care if you change coaches because you don't like their jacket Some people need a coach to be right next to them on the ice physically showing them stuff and even doing it themselves. If that is what works for you - great! But it seems like this old guy must have been doing something right if you got all those doubles! I've seen coaches of national competitors never even step on the ice during a lesson. They have the ability to explain and the skater has the ability to understand what they need to do.

Rinkside
    congrats

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Like I said, I have no problem with people changing coaches. I don't care if you change coaches because you don't like their jacket Some people need a coach to be right next to them on the ice physically showing them stuff and even doing it themselves. If that is what works for you - great! But it seems like this old guy must have been doing something right if you got all those doubles! I've seen coaches of national competitors never even step on the ice during a lesson. They have the ability to explain and the skater has the ability to understand what they need to do.
    yeah, I'm having a hard time picturing Frank Carrol or Tatiana Tarasova going out and showing Evan Lysacek or Alexei Yagudin how to do a quad

that being said - congrats on your jumps! way cool I am jealous, I can't even walk across a patch of ice in a parking lot without falling (did so right in front of Paul Wylie when he visited my church in 2006) so I admire anyone who can skate on that little bitty blade...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    that being said - congrats on your jumps! way cool I am jealous, I can't even walk across a patch of ice in a parking lot without falling (did so right in front of Paul Wylie when he visited my church in 2006) so I admire anyone who can skate on that little bitty blade...
    To be honest it is much easier to to skate on that little bitty blade than it is to walk on a iced over parking lot in normal shoes!

Ant