Jenny Kirk's Blog: Michelle Kwan and Paul Wylie | Golden Skate

Jenny Kirk's Blog: Michelle Kwan and Paul Wylie

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
anything that involves a praisefest of Paul Wylie is gold in my book ;)

I really enjoy reading Jenny's blog... she's a fantastic OpEd journalist... I think any sports section of a paper (online or paper paper) would be happy to have her on staff...

Kwan and Wylie

If anything will get my attention, it's an article that mentions two of my favorite skaters. I went back and watched Wylie's long program and ended up in shivers just as I had the day he skated it. He remains, along with Kurt Browning, one of my favorite male skaters ever. (Kulik and Yagudin are in there too, somewhere!) If I recall correctly, a commentator asked him if he thought he should have won the gold, and he smiled and said something like, "How much of a Cinderella story do you guys want?" He was a mature artist in every sense of the term, and so was (and is) Michelle.

Kirk's turning out to be a tremendously articulate and insightful commentator. And nothing makes me admire a competitor more than if that competitor praises other people in his or her sport. I hope she writes a book. There hasn't been a good skating book in a while!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
anything that involves a praisefest of Paul Wylie is gold in my book ;)

I really enjoy reading Jenny's blog... she's a fantastic OpEd journalist... I think any sports section of a paper (online or paper paper) would be happy to have her on staff...

I love what Jenny had to say about both of them, and now they have something else in common, "Carmina Burana" (although Michelle did some different parts of "O Fortuna" in Korea). :clap: :clap:

Wicked

Final Flight
Paul Wylie winning the Olympic silver is one of my favorite moments in skating. I like Jenny's take on it- keep trying and you never know what will happen. I also like her take on Michelle. Just because someone is better than you at something doesn't mean you give up or stop working. Do what you do well. It really seems that Jenny has gotten a lot of life lessons out of skating. I enjoy her writing.