Random Figure Skating Thoughts & Questions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Thoughts & Questions

Half Axel?

Is there such a jump as a half Axel? You take off forward, do half a rotation and land backward. Would this jump have a CoP value?

vlaurend

Final Flight
Is there such a jump as a half Axel? You take off forward, do half a rotation and land backward. Would this jump have a CoP value?

The "half axel" is actually a 1-revolution jump that takes off forward on the left foot (assuming CCW rotation) and lands forward on the right toepick with a push off onto the LFO edge. If you take off forward, do half a rotation and land backward, it's a waltz jump. Neither the half axel nor the waltz jump is a "listed jump" so neither is marked as a jump or has any assigned value under IJS. They can be used as connecting moves, though. You sometimes see the half axel as part of a step sequence.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The three bronzes didn't sound right to me, so I went back and checked that second site.It seems that it was a different Uwe and Manuela who won in the earlier years, Manuela Gross and Uwe Kagelman, not Manuela Mager and Uwe Bewersdorf. Easy to see how at a quick read--and in that tiny type, and you can't really scroll on that site without everything leaping around--that could be confusing. I had to read it about three times before the names stopped scrambling before my eyes. Not a user-friendly chart at all!

Heh. Thanks - I totally missed that.