Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Rippon

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Johnny Wier

Votes: 57 77.0%

• Total voters

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
There's a thread like this for the women, but I think the mens depth of field is even stronger. You've got the reigning world champion. You've got the grand prix champion and national champion. You've got the bronze medalist from 2008. You've got the reigning world junior champion. And others. Which of these men do you think will make the Olympic Team (at this early juncture)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think at this point Evan's the one that already has his spot locked... even if he totally bombs at nationals (I don't expect him to) I'd bet anything if he petitioned to be on the team the USFSA would give it to him over the third place finisher at nationals...

I expect Johnny to make a comeback and take his place back on the world/olympic team. So long as he skates well this season he belongs on the team.

Abbott is my wild card... he does well at nationals... but I dunno... I'm hoping Ryan makes it just because I like him :yes:

psycho

On the Ice
Definitely Lysacek and Weir, and the 3rd spot is a crapshoot. The rest of the guys had one or two good performances in their careers, but have failed to show even a smidge of consistency. Maybe Carriere is the most reliable of that lot. But my hope and money is on Rippon.

Plus, Lysacek, Weir and Rippon would make such a pretty team....

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I think at this point Evan is the only shoe-in. So my vote goes to him.

But if Jeremy doesn't make it, I'm no longer interested, I'm afraid.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I made this a multi-vote poll. I guess most people acknowledge Lysacek and Wier as the top two - I'm curious who's number three (and if Wier really is the number two or if a bad performance at nationals would render him done).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lysacek, Abbott, and Weir would be the best choices in terms of potential to medal. They have the best resumes and points potential; it all depends on how they skate. I hope they are the team and I hope they produce what they are capable of, particularly Jeremy, my favorite! :love::bow:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But if Jeremy doesn't make it, I'm no longer interested, I'm afraid.

I feel the same way. Without Jeremy, the US men are blah to me, although I do see potential in Adam and I like him a lot, but I want his time to be in the next Olympic cycle. There's still so much time left for him. :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Like everyone else - I think Lysacek is a lock in for one of the spots even if he has a disaster at nationals - has the reigning world world champion ever not competed at the Olympics because they weren't good enough to place at nationals?

The second and third spots i think will be Weir and Rippon.

Ant

dannyascii

On the Ice
1. Lysacek, Weir, Bradley
I agree that Lysacek would have to do something pretty awful to not make it. Even if he gets 4th or 5th, I think he's got a locked spot.
Johnny has been kinda off for a little while, but I definitely think that he is still one of the most talented American men. Granted things work in his favor and he's in good condition, I see no reason why he shouldn't make it.
That leaves Brandon Mroz, Ryan Bradley and Stephen Carierre battling for the last spot. I have to say, I'd prefer Bradley or Carierre, probably Bradley. I think both of them have a more mature skating style, plus Mroz can come back in 2014; this really is Bradley's last shot. Bradley may not be quiet as consistent, but he gives the best performance and probably could bring in the highest score of the three if he has an "on" night.

vlaurend

Final Flight
It's actually "Brandon" Mroz, not Brendan. And I pick him for the 3rd spot, behind Lysacek and Weir (for whom I am predicting a comeback, as long as he doesn't keep trying to survive on Starbucks and salad).
Brandon has a quad toe and has very reliable technique overall, even though his artistry may not be quite up there with Jeremy Abbott's or Adam Rippon's. Brandon also experienced his first World Championships this year and his competition nerves proved to be tougher than Abbott's. Abbott got into the zone for Nationals and the GPF last year, but he has never managed to stay consistent.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Jeremy Abbot
Evan & Johnny...Though they're not my faves, I can't see the judges not putting them through.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's actually "Brandon" Mroz, not Brendan. And I pick him for the 3rd spot, behind Lysacek and Weir (for whom I am predicting a comeback, as long as he doesn't keep trying to survive on Starbucks and salad).
Brandon has a quad toe and has very reliable technique overall, even though his artistry may not be quite up there with Jeremy Abbott's or Adam Rippon's. Brandon also experienced his first World Championships this year and his competition nerves proved to be tougher than Abbott's. Abbott got into the zone for Nationals and the GPF last year, but he has never managed to stay consistent.

Thanks for the correction. And for what it's worth, I voted for Mroz too.

cornell08

Final Flight
1). Definitely Evan.
2). USFSA may send Johnny or Jeremy regardless of how they do in the Grand Prix I think...ok, unless they completely bomb everything.
3). Mroz. He and Evan were the ones to even get us three spots after all with their Worlds performances (even with Mroz far from how he performed at Nationals). Plus, he's coming out of his shell this season with a shake yo booty SP....just paraphrasing Tom :laugh: I feel like that will win over some fans who currently don't think he has much charisma.

Last edited:

Bowman the Showman

Spectator
You are all sooooo blind! If anything there going to take talent before the known. If i was to pick my priority would be the skater with the most developed and advanced jumps. Brandon Mroz Can jump better than any of skaters. I think there all to afraid to even try a quad .. To me Brandon is the youngest and loaded with testosterone and is never nervous you can always tell hes trying hard i met him personally and hes extremely smart and well focused. i see him giving figure skating a new look in 2010. In his debut at the senior World Championships, Mroz skated a clean short program to place 8th in that segment of the competition. He placed 13th in the free skate to place 9th overall. His placement, combined with that of World Champion Evan Lysacek, earned the United States the maximum three entries to the 2010 Winter Olympics ...........DUHHHH

icecold1

Spectator
You are all sooooo blind! If anything there going to take talent before the known. If i was to pick my priority would be the skater with the most developed and advanced jumps. Brandon Mroz Can jump better than any of skaters. I think there all to afraid to even try a quad .. To me Brandon is the youngest and loaded with testosterone and is never nervous you can always tell hes trying hard i met him personally and hes extremely smart and well focused. i see him giving figure skating a new look in 2010. In his debut at the senior World Championships, Mroz skated a clean short program to place 8th in that segment of the competition. He placed 13th in the free skate to place 9th overall. His placement, combined with that of World Champion Evan Lysacek, earned the United States the maximum three entries to the 2010 Winter Olympics ...........DUHHHH
Good Thought ! He is like the male of tara L years ago ...... Brandon is alot stronger than wier he has the spot over wier for sure. personally I think wier needs counseling.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I think it's going to be Evan, Johnny, and Jeremey. Evan because he is the current world champ and I think Johnny learned a valuable lesson last season.....:clap: