Virtue and Moir FD for this season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir FD for this season

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I just watched their program on youtube. IMO it does have potential, but it's not really my cup of tea. I love when programs have at least one climactic moment, but to me there really wasn't anything that drew attention. Perhaps my mind will change as the season progresses.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
mature. soft. elegant.
but maybe too soft. too airy. too monotone
first thought was: costuming ....flashbacks to dub/lau.....then to the short-lived great gig in the sky by del/sch

overall i felt safe and please - nice, peaceful, calm, beautiful, soft, soothing, relaxing ........enough said.

I agree with the observation that it echos Dub/Lau. In fact, I thought it was a John Barry composition at first - sounded like something form Out of Africa or Somewhere in Time. It's a beautiful piece of skating, but at this juncture, it seems like a program that needs to be skated perfectly to have the impact it needs (again, like Dub/Lau).

I look forward to seeing it after they've worked on it more. Frankly, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy them skating to anything, such is the depth of my affection, but I thought it was lovely.

Final Flight
:rofl: Your obvious bias never fails to make me fall on the floor and roll with laughter. Minimal growth! I'm in hysterics! Thanks! :laugh:

you're so cute rofl-ing. you're welcome, your obvious need for rebuttals "never fails me" too....
- i find the music without climax - definitely not a "carmen" or "nessun dorma" just monotone. i feel as if the music limits their ....emotional connection with audience. almost - lackluster but still pretty and beautiful (im not saying its gross and ugly or unfit) i guess they could add more hand-free lifts to impress y'all.

that what i meant. call that a bias - fine. just clarifying. i have a talent for negative diction. perhaps "minimal growth" was too callous and severe.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
the first lift was extremely uncomfortable to watch but i guess...."level 4 worthy"

Really? I thought it was stunning, probably the higlight of the program. But to each his own.

I agree with the observation that it echos Dub/Lau. In fact, I thought it was a John Barry composition at first - sounded like something form Out of Africa or Somewhere in Time.

Mahler's 5th has a lot more emotional depth to it than a movie score.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Eh, probably - but 4 mintues of Mahler's 5th? And given that both scores mentioned contain previously composed music (Out of Africa has some Mozart, Somewhere in Time has Rachmaninoff), I don't think my comment was that inane

Final Flight
Really? I thought it was stunning, probably the higlight of the program. But to each his own.

to me, i see it as "forced difficulty, messy, rushed, awkward positioning. but it does go well with the musical phrase....

cornell08

Final Flight
Virtue and Moir do exceptionally well with this sort of "soft" music-- it got them the silver at Worlds with Umbrellas of Cherbourg after all. I'm glad they chose something less done.

Bruin714

On the Ice
Thanks for the link.

I think the program has a lot of potential, but it needs more drama for the Olympic stage.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I think the program has a lot of potential, but it needs more drama for the Olympic stage.
I agree. To me, the music, as it is now, balances between sleep-inducing and pure sophistication. I think, a lot will depend on how Tessa and Scott interpret it.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I agree. To me, the music, as it is now, balances between sleep-inducing and pure sophistication. I think, a lot will depend on how Tessa and Scott interpret it.

I wonder if they'll wear their black practice outfits as costumes?

Ant (ducking and running :p)

Bruin714

On the Ice
I'm warming up to the program as I watch it more, many sweet moments in the choreography. The camera angle on the video is on the opposite side of the judges' row, so we might appreciate it more with better camera angles.

However, I notice in both footwork sequences where the music calls for more sharp, "umph" movements, they are skating away "elegantly." :scratch:

life684

Final Flight
It is a good program, not special or unforgettable as of now, gold medal will depend upon how other top programs are like. if other top teams perform programs like last year; Virtue and Moir could well be out of medals. They will need to improve a lot from now and feb (which i am sure they will do)