Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virtue and Moir FD for this season

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    mature. soft. elegant.
    but maybe too soft. too airy. too monotone
    first thought was: costuming ....flashbacks to dub/lau.....then to the short-lived great gig in the sky by del/sch

the first lift was extremely uncomfortable to watch but i guess...."level 4 worthy"
    i realized all the choreo and elements were soooo stretched and loose - far apart. which lead me too the previously mentioned "zzz"s

that "cool" hands-free lift is sooo out of place, but cute (but perhaps illegal?) dismount - start researching!

in the end - was that a spin....a lift? a what?

overall i felt safe and please - nice, peaceful, calm, beautiful, soft, soothing, relaxing ........enough said.

if kept, the program has minimal growth, it is what it is..(in my opinion) but then again i anticipate disagreements....saying that this is a "beacon,a return to true ice dance"
    Last edited by 1795; 08-17-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    it is what it is..(in my opinion) but then again i anticipate disagreements....saying that this is a "beacon,a return to true ice dance"
    You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Hi, GuiliaPlum:

Point taken. I guess you could say Katia's interpretation was a very fitting one for this music. I probably didn't express myself very clearly,but I like the the more classic routines vs. the edgy. This routine seemed classic; I liked it very much and think it has promise to become more complex..

...and a bag of chips
    if kept, the program has minimal growth, it is what it is..(in my opinion) but then again i anticipate disagreements....saying that this is a "beacon,a return to true ice dance"
    Your obvious bias never fails to make me fall on the floor and roll with laughter. Minimal growth! I'm in hysterics! Thanks!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I will have to wait to view this at home. I can't access it at work, nor the music. It does sound like it will be interesting though.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    I just watched their program on youtube. IMO it does have potential, but it's not really my cup of tea. I love when programs have at least one climactic moment, but to me there really wasn't anything that drew attention. Perhaps my mind will change as the season progresses.

Custom Title
    mature. soft. elegant.
    but maybe too soft. too airy. too monotone
    first thought was: costuming ....flashbacks to dub/lau.....then to the short-lived great gig in the sky by del/sch

overall i felt safe and please - nice, peaceful, calm, beautiful, soft, soothing, relaxing ........enough said.
    I agree with the observation that it echos Dub/Lau. In fact, I thought it was a John Barry composition at first - sounded like something form Out of Africa or Somewhere in Time. It's a beautiful piece of skating, but at this juncture, it seems like a program that needs to be skated perfectly to have the impact it needs (again, like Dub/Lau).

I look forward to seeing it after they've worked on it more. Frankly, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy them skating to anything, such is the depth of my affection, but I thought it was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    Your obvious bias never fails to make me fall on the floor and roll with laughter. Minimal growth! I'm in hysterics! Thanks!
    you're so cute rofl-ing. you're welcome, your obvious need for rebuttals "never fails me" too....
    - i find the music without climax - definitely not a "carmen" or "nessun dorma" just monotone. i feel as if the music limits their ....emotional connection with audience. almost - lackluster but still pretty and beautiful (im not saying its gross and ugly or unfit) i guess they could add more hand-free lifts to impress y'all.

that what i meant. call that a bias - fine. just clarifying. i have a talent for negative diction. perhaps "minimal growth" was too callous and severe.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    the first lift was extremely uncomfortable to watch but i guess...."level 4 worthy"
    Really? I thought it was stunning, probably the higlight of the program. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I agree with the observation that it echos Dub/Lau. In fact, I thought it was a John Barry composition at first - sounded like something form Out of Africa or Somewhere in Time.
    Mahler's 5th has a lot more emotional depth to it than a movie score.

Custom Title
    Eh, probably - but 4 mintues of Mahler's 5th? And given that both scores mentioned contain previously composed music (Out of Africa has some Mozart, Somewhere in Time has Rachmaninoff), I don't think my comment was that inane

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    I'm so glad they ditched Pink Floyd. This program suits them so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Really? I thought it was stunning, probably the higlight of the program. But to each his own.
    to me, i see it as "forced difficulty, messy, rushed, awkward positioning. but it does go well with the musical phrase....

Custom Title
    Virtue and Moir do exceptionally well with this sort of "soft" music-- it got them the silver at Worlds with Umbrellas of Cherbourg after all. I'm glad they chose something less done.

Custom Title
    Someone, please post the FD again. Please!

Custom Title
    Thanks for the link.

I think the program has a lot of potential, but it needs more drama for the Olympic stage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast