Figure skater w/broken arm...need some feedback. | Golden Skate

Figure skater w/broken arm...need some feedback.

Figureskates

On the Ice
My 12 year old figure skating neice broke her arm yesterday in a non figure skating accident. Thankfully it did not involve the growing plates.

My sister-in-law is really in uncharted waters here about being on the road between being overly protective in her return to the ice and not being cautious enough.

I am interested in feedback from figure skaters who they themselves have done the same thing or know of figure skaters who have broken their arms at this age.

My niece is really upset about this since she really is quite the skater and I just want offer some encouragement based on other skater's experiences.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Figure

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Well, I broke my wrist when I was 43 and had been skating for just a few months. I was back on the ice as soon as I got out of my long cast (a couple weeks). Of course, I was just a beginner at the time, but actually a large proportion of serious on ice injuries happen to the most inexperienced skaters -- they haven't learned to control their bodies or manage their falls.

I would think that your niece's coach and doctor would have the most relevant input -- that said, however, it might turn out to be a great opportunity for her to concentrate on Moves in the Field.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
I broke my wrist twice this year (same one, different bone). I'm 46 years old and had been skating for one year as an adult. I skated in the casts the whole time.

The first time was at the end of March. I made sure the doc put me in a cast that was short enough to be able to pull my arms in for spins (he thought I was nuts). But he felt I was as safe or safer skating in the cast. I passed my Adult Bronze FS and my Adult Gold Moves while in the cast.

I had my cast off for a little over two months when I fell doing simple footwork and fractured a different bone. It was just a freak accident. This time I went in to the ortho doc and told him exactly how I wanted my cast to fit (using my recent experience). I skated in that cast too. I passed Adult Silver Freestyle in it.

My wrist has mended, though I have to continue to work on flexibility. In fact, now I tape the cast back together and skate in it just as a precautionary measure. My coach and the doc would like me to do this until my Adult Gold FS test is passed. Then I will probably skate in a wrist brace for a few months -- only precautionary because I'm starting to learn my double jumps and will be falling a lot.

Depending on the type of break, all I can say is that if she's allowed to do things, 12 year olds heal very quickly and you've got to be careful about being too protective or instilling fear. The doc can give you the best feedback, but he/she will probably encourage your niece to be active as soon as possible. If she's able to skate during this time, working on spirals, moves in the field, and other stuff where the cast won't throw her off balance are good. If she can't skate, doing off-ice training and flexibility and sport cord drills will keep her in shape for when she puts the skates back on.

Good luck to her and best wishes for a quick recovery.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Figureskates: Definitely talk to the doctor. One of our young ones did a couple of comps in his cast three years ago (he was eight at the time) so the doc may allow it, but definitely discuss it first before she takes any risks.

S

skateballet

OK, I am not trained in medicine but have had my share of injuries and have known several others who have had broken bones so I know from experience...... A word of caution about skating with cast! I wouldn't do it!

If you fall and land on that wrist with the cast, you could cause even more injury to the areas above and below the cast, such as fractured fingers, hand bones or a fracture higher on the forearm. I know that everyone with a cast is eager to go back out on the ice but it's really a good time to take a dance class or work on other endurance training that won't involve falling. Please consider talking to your dr. about your injury and your coach about some alternative training right now.

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Figureskates, how is your niece doing? Did she decide to take a break from skating, or is she back on the ice? I'd love to know (and I'm sure others would as well) Send her best wishes from GS!

Figureskates

On the Ice
Heard from niece yesterday.

She is doing better, learning to use her left arm instead of her right. She said that she doesn't hurt anymore and she has an evaluation this Tuesday with the doctor. This will determine whether she can get back on the ice now or have to wait longer.

She really is bummed out since she loves to skate and she is suppose to be in an ice show in December in Hartford. She hasn't pulled out of it yet since there is a chance she will get the go ahead to return to the ice.

She definitely takes after her uncle. When I can't get out on the ice, I definitely get grumpy!!

Thanks for asking.