Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Jennifer Kirk - A federation doesn't "own" it's athletes

  1. #1
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,892

    Jennifer Kirk - A federation doesn't "own" it's athletes

    Here is the link to another great article by Jennifer Kirk. She talks about Kaitlyn Weaver and Morgan Matthews.


    http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/20...etes/#more-382

    I have to say that I just love her articles!!

  2. #2
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Am i remembering correctly though that it was Matthews and Zavozin that put in a comlpanit about the petition to have Tanith's citizenship expediated so that they could skate in SLC?

    If that was then seems a little like karma coming to bite her on the ***!

    Ant

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Am i remembering correctly though that it was Matthews and Zavozin that put in a comlpanit about the petition to have Tanith's citizenship expediated so that they could skate in SLC?

    If that was then seems a little like karma coming to bite her on the ***!

    Ant
    Your wrong. It was Loren Galler-Rabinowitz and her partner David Mitchell who petitioned against Tanith's citizenship.

    I have been waiting for someone in the skating world to speak out on this issue for a long time. Way to go Jenny Kirk! Such a brave move to speak out against this kind of injustice and caprice.

  4. #4
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post
    Your wrong. It was Loren Galler-Rabinowitz and her partner David Mitchell who petitioned against Tanith's citizenship.
    I'm sorry you're absolutely right it was Rabinowitz & Mitchell I was thinking of, apologies.

    Ant

  5. #5
    Just an average girl
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post
    It was Loren Galler-Rabinowitz and her partner David Mitchell who petitioned against Tanith's citizenship.
    Actually, it was Mitchell's mother.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,051
    She makes good points -- I wonder if the USFS will ever issue a statement on the subject. I thought indentured servitude was illegal, anyway.

  7. #7
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    As if finding a good partner is not hard enough. USFSA really messsed that one up. What is the point of "holding on" to a single ice dancer.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    Actually, it was Mitchell's mother.
    True...and her actions were aimed just as much at preventing Max Zavozin obtaining American citizenship as they were at preventing Tanith Belbin from obtaining citizenship.

    Both teams were in contention with her son's team for Olympic spots.

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    yeah M/Z benefitted from Tanith's petition as they were also waiting for Z's citizenship to go through, IIRC.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    704
    i couldn't believe the argument of USFS especially considering the fact that they probably have had more athletes trained by other federation compete for them. I suppose they mean skater like Belbin, Petrukov, Zavozin..all paid back the money to their respective federations.

    The same argument can be used for coaches as well most of them where funded by federation and very high number of them left their respective federation in search of better conditions(including $). I hope USFS will pay back these federation for training these coaches as well. the whole argument look slightly communist to me.

    The argument of USFS can be used in wide variety of areas including education. In developing countries education is mostly subsidised by government and if you follow USFS, when a trained individual leaves the country a huge bill should be handed out to each individual a the airport for the amount the Govt. has spent.(then developing countries like India will never complain of brain drain )

  11. #11
    Just an average girl
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    i couldn't believe the argument of USFS especially considering the fact that they probably have had more athletes trained by other federation compete for them. I suppose they mean skater like Belbin, Petrukov, Zavozin..all paid back the money to their respective federations.
    The only one of these three possibly relevant is Petukhov and I believe there was a little tussle to get him released. Belbin was a novice level skater when she left Canada and I believe the funding for her training came totally from her parents. Zavozin never competed in Russia and the only trainers he had were his parents.

    This issue has complex angles that need to be explored before judgment is passed.

  12. #12
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Many rinks on the East Coast
    Posts
    31
    Actually, the Matthews and Belbins worked together to get citizenship. They pooled their resources in the fall of 2005 and that is when things really got moving!

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post
    The only one of these three possibly relevant is Petukhov and I believe there was a little tussle to get him released. Belbin was a novice level skater when she left Canada and I believe the funding for her training came totally from her parents. Zavozin never competed in Russia and the only trainers he had were his parents.

    This issue has complex angles that need to be explored before judgment is passed.
    Under what circumstances do you believe a federation withholding release is justified?

  14. #14
    Just an average girl
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by sashaisgreat View Post
    Actually, the Matthews and Belbins worked together to get citizenship. They pooled their resources in the fall of 2005 and that is when things really got moving!
    Really? As I recall a legal team did this pro bono and Zavozin simply piggy backed the work being done for Belbin.

    Under what circumstances do you believe a federation withholding release is justified?
    It may never be, but I'm not going to pass judgment until I know ALL the facts. There may have been certain privileges in terms of practice and training facilities or sponsorship dollars made based on promises of loyalty from a skater. I repeat again, there are complex situations and I can't pass judgment on emotion. I need all the facts first.

  15. #15
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Many rinks on the East Coast
    Posts
    31
    I was at the same rink as M/Z at the time. The Belbin's were working from their end and the Matthews at the other. When the bill fell through the first time, they joined forces. Living in different states, they brought more congressmen and senators to the table. Matthews was also working with senator Clinton because she was Skating Club of New York (ironic since that is who Mitchell wrote) . I sat by Mr. Matthews several times at the rink when he was on the phone with either Mr. Belbin or the Belbin's lawyer. Zavozin also had his lawyer in the mix as well.
    So basically, Tanith's team got the ball rolling but Matthews.team jumped in and helped to get the bill passed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •