Jennifer Kirk - A federation doesn't "own" it's athletes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk - A federation doesn't "own" it's athletes

sashaisgreat

Rinkside
Not sure if they'd be considered "contracts" or "agreements", but yes, when a Team USA spot is offered, the skaters must sign an acceptance contract. Part of the wording does include that USFS is not obligated to immediately release any skater to another ISU country if that skater competed internationally for the US (that's where I drew the comparison to a business's non-compete). There must be something else as well that details the terms of a release. It may be a following of the ISU guidelines, which I believe before the recent changes, was sitting out of international competition for 2 years.

It is interesting if that clause about release is in the team USA contract now. I saw a team USA contract from 2006 and that clause was not in there. It must have been added after Morgan and Julia were turned down.

Tammi

On the Ice
It is interesting if that clause about release is in the team USA contract now. I saw a team USA contract from 2006 and that clause was not in there. It must have been added after Morgan and Julia were turned down.
Maybe it was in the bylaws back then and since that time, they've moved it to the athletes agreement letter for Team USA. I imagine that it had to have been documented somewhere, otherwise an athlete could have easily disputed the legality of not being released immediately.