Winter Games New Zealand | Golden Skate

Winter Games New Zealand

sorcerer

Final Flight
Winter Games New Zealand is now held and figure skating starts on 27th, the practice date.
The competition is from the 28th, and from Japan, Akiko Suzuki and Kensuke Nakaniwa will participate.

Anyone know the entries from other coutries?
I can't find them on the official site:
http://www.wintergamesnz.com/

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Woah! Korea took a sweep in the novice and juniors. So is Yu-Na really just a one hit wonder? Or is she the beginning of things to come...?

Any chances videos from the competition are available? I'd especially like to see the novice winners.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Woah! Korea took a sweep in the novice and juniors. So is Yu-Na really just a one hit wonder? Or is she the beginning of things to come...?

While impressive, I think it's important to note the level of competition. Taking the juniors champions, for example, and seeing how they would fare at the most recent JGP event (Hungary), Min-Seok Kim (men) would only have placed 6th, and Hyeon-Jeong Kim (ladies), 11th. Even this assumes that the judging was equivalent at the two events, which is highly unlikely; lower-level events tend to be more lenient (e.g. Nationals versus Worlds).

This isn't to say, though, that their accomplishments aren't praiseworthy; obviously, it took a lot of determination and effort to get to where they are. All I'm saying is that it's difficult to draw conclusions about the viability of an entire country based on one relatively minor competition alone.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
^ ITA, SerpentineSteps.

But I was rather more impressed by the scores of the novice champions. I hear they're much younger and are truly younger kids who were influenced by Yu-Na to start skating, and not like the Korean, junior/senior skaters now who are younger than Yu-Na, but skated at the same time as her. A confusing explanation on my part. :biggrin:

Anyways, still hoping to see the videos from the novice to really see if they're any good or not.

Nirti

Medalist
Yes 2 korean winners in novice are very young : Park So-Yeon is born on 24/10/1997 and Lee Dong-Won on 18/11/1996, so they have to wait two and one year before skating in junior, so they are very promising.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes 2 korean winners in novice are very young : Park So-Yeon is born on 24/10/1997 and Lee Dong-Won on 18/11/1996, so they have to wait two and one year before skating in junior, so they are very promising.

I know that Orser mentioned that there was a young Korean boy who was immensely talented a couple of years ago, I think he may have been talking about Dong. Dong seems to have all the triples but the triple axel, and he's very young.

I think its going to take time for Korea to become a skating power. I think they will develop more strong skaters in time though, just like it took Japan some time after Midori/Sato.

The good thing is more Korean kids are trying skating now than before, of course theres a huge problem with the ice. However look at how they are now big in womans' golf. I think a lot of parents are going to put their kids in skating now, whereas before very few did.

I know it didn't happen for Chinese singles after LU, but Lu never got a whole lot of attention in China it seems, unlike Yu-na.

sunrock

Rinkside

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Probably no one will read this, but I want to share one more.
Kyung Ah Jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSexyBsrxU

I like the musicality of this one.
I think she'll have to wait one or two more seasons to become a junior.

I read your post :thumbsup: and watched the video. I am sure all posts in GS are welcome and read.

Kyung Ah Jo looks like a young talent, skating very well to her music. How old is she then? Like always it is impossible to foresee what will be. Good luck to her :clap: