Jennifer Kirk - How skating gets its groove back | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk - How skating gets its groove back

Interesting that Kirk describes the jumps of Vise and Baldwin as side-by-side triple toe Walleys instead of triple toe loops. This seems to be one of those, "what's the difference between a flutz and a lip" questions.

Technically speaking, as I understand it, a Walley takes off from the inside back edge. Since this is virtually impossible (and is scored as a toe loop anyway), no one ever does one, except once in a while a single as a transition or connecting move. I don't think anyone has ever done a "triple toe Walley."

Other people (apparently Jennifer is one of them) seem to distinguish the two jumps by the type of entry, rather than by the take-off edge.

Can any experts out there clarify this for me?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Interesting that Kirk describes the jumps of Vise and Baldwin as side-by-side triple toe Walleys instead of triple toe loops. This seems to be one of those, "what's the difference between a flutz and a lip" questions.

Technically speaking, as I understand it, a Walley takes off from the inside back edge. Since this is virtually impossible (and is scored as a toe loop anyway), no one ever does one, except once in a while a single as a transition or connecting move. I don't think anyone has ever done a "triple toe Walley."

Other people (apparently Jennifer is one of them) seem to distinguish the two jumps by the type of entry, rather than by the take-off edge.

Can any experts out there clarify this for me?

I seem to remeber Dick Button saying something about when the skater does a toe loop with an entrance of a left outside three turn, a step down with the right foot and then a vault off the left toe pick (all assuming the skater jumps counter-clockwise) is technically a wally. Most high level skaters do their toe loops this way as it is easier to control than the right forward inside three that is technically a toe loop entrance.

Thanks for the explanation, Tiny Mavy.

BTW, I don't know how official the scores are for competitions iof this sort, but Douglas Razzano just beat his personal best in the short program by 20 points!

Particle Man

Match Penalty
It is indeed a “human” scale. The top benchmark of the Fahrenheit scale is the temperature of the human body, taken at the armpit. If Mr. Fahrenheit had had a rectal thermometer, the Fahrenheit scale would have turned out slightly different.

The origin of something is not relevant to its current usefulness. Any "scientist" should recognize that.

One thing that would make the Fahrenheit scale better -- if the conversion used a factor of 10/5 (i.e. 2) instead of 9/5. Then it would have been perfect. Oh well.

One thing that would make the Fahrenheit scale better -- if the conversion used a factor of 10/5 (i.e. 2) instead of 9/5. Then it would have been perfect. Oh well.

I think you mean, one thing that would make the Celsius scale better. Fahrenheit came first. I think your argument should have been, when Celsius came along he should have pegged his scale at exactly half of Fahrenheit's (tossing out that extra 32 degrees as well.)

Then everything would be perfect -- except we would have no need for two different scales at all. :cool: