U.S. Figure Skating, NBC Sports Announce Broadcast Contract Extension | Golden Skate

U.S. Figure Skating, NBC Sports Announce Broadcast Contract Extension

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43415

U.S. Figure Skating and NBC Sports announced today the continuation of their multi-year partnership to extend through the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. The agreement will ensure live primetime and afternoon coverage of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships as well as live afternoon coverage of the annual international Skate America competition for the next four years.

YEA for NBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I really enjoy watching skating on TV rather than the computer. :clap::clap:

pippa

Rinkside
But still no coverage of the Grand Prix (other than Skate America) on TV. Sigh.

merrybari

Final Flight
Good news indeed, but still a disappointment that ladies will be the only coverage for Skate America. *sigh*

Thanks be to goodness for Icenetwork for the rest of the GP stuff.

They mentioned expanded coverage for those with Universal. I wonder if Oxygen will also be involved.

I'll have to lobby my cable company or whoever to see about Universal and/or Oxygen. Can Universal coverage be captured to TV somehow?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I think I remember reading somewhere that we can get Universal Sports at the Comcast web page.

Of course, we would still be watching from a computer screen rather than a TV screen.

I wish we could get Eurosport on satellite. I would subscribe.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's good news. I wonder if this means that NBC will also be televising the 2014 Games.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I don't think the televising rights to 2014 have been determined. NBC will likely bid but so will others, for example, ESPN.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I don't think the televising rights to 2014 have been determined. NBC will likely bid but so will others, for example, ESPN.

I'll be suprised if ESPN winis the right. I think it will come down to either NBC, CBS or ABC.

If ESPN gets it I will be so happy for them but I don't like their chances

McWicked

On the Ice
Nothing to be glad for. No Grand Prix on TV, just IceNetwork. I guess nothing would be worse.

Tammi

On the Ice
Nothing to be glad for. No Grand Prix on TV, just IceNetwork. I guess nothing would be worse.
Do we know for sure that IceNetwork is going to cover the upcoming GP series? I'm getting a bit nervous, because they haven't updated anything for the 2009/2010 season. Even their subscription page is from 2008/2009. I was kind of expecting an announcement this week about the JGP Lake Placid. They covered it live in 2007 and it would be pretty disappointing if they don't cover an ISU event in their own backyard.

nylynnr

On the Ice
ABC ESPN might bid, so might CBS Universal, and NBC will definitely bid. That's part of the reason they were all so upset USOC had (prematurely) announced an Olympic network, or whatever it was.

ESPN basically does ABC's sports coverage. Both ABC and ESPN are owned by Disney. So ABC winning and ESPN winning aren't mutually exclusive.

merrybari

Final Flight
Hmmm - about NBC and Sochi!
the continuation of their multi-year partnership to extend through the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

To me "through" includes those games. Had they said "to" then I think it would be opened to others. Just my take on the semantics.

merrybari

Final Flight
Do we know for sure that IceNetwork is going to cover the upcoming GP series? I'm getting a bit nervous, because they haven't updated anything for the 2009/2010 season. Even their subscription page is from 2008/2009. I was kind of expecting an announcement this week about the JGP Lake Placid. They covered it live in 2007 and it would be pretty disappointing if they don't cover an ISU event in their own backyard.

Icenetwork renewals come up in September so I think that's most likely when they'll update for the 2009-10 season.

I haven't looked lately but are they not covering the JGP event going on now?

RUKen

Rinkside
Hmmm - about NBC and Sochi! To me "through" includes those games. Had they said "to" then I think it would be opened to others. Just my take on the semantics.

NBC cannot buy the broadcast rights to the Olympic Games from US Figure Skating; those must be negotiated with the International Olympic Committee. US Figure Skating controls only the national championships and Skate America.

Tammi

On the Ice
Icenetwork renewals come up in September so I think that's most likely when they'll update for the 2009-10 season.
Thank you. For some reason, I was thinking the subscription was through the end of June.

I haven't looked lately but are they not covering the JGP event going on now?
Yes, they have a page for the Hungary JGP with results and articles. I'm sure they'll be adding photos as well. I thought they may cover the Lake Placid JGP event with live video though. That's what they did in 2007 when the event was held there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just noticed that as the schedule currently stands, the Men's final at Nationals (Jan 17) will air opposite the NFL Playoffs. Not sure about Saturday's coverage though.

merrybari

Final Flight
NBC cannot buy the broadcast rights to the Olympic Games from US Figure Skating; those must be negotiated with the International Olympic Committee. US Figure Skating controls only the national championships and Skate America.

Ahhh - thanks. I'd forgotten that.

merrybari

Final Flight
I just noticed that as the schedule currently stands, the Men's final at Nationals (Jan 17) will air opposite the NFL Playoffs. Not sure about Saturday's coverage though.

Well - isn't that stooopid? So much for the wisdom of putting the senior championships on two weekends instead of all at the last one. :banging: