Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Watch the JGP from Lake Placid - FREE!

Yukiko.......No medal

JSF will not send her to the second competition unless both Kanako and Yuki miss the medal

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I like Makarova better than Leonova. She's much more polished and not as messy.
    But I don't think she could beat Alena even in a good day. Alena is much more consistant, she is going to do 3-3 this season and landing 3Lz and 3F (and Ksenia doesn't, maybe just yet, but...)

Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    Question: will Doronina return?
    Yes, she will.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    None of these girls are looking like they can beat Shelepen though.
    Polina's coach said in her interview last week that Polina will do 3-3 in Minsk, so to beat her could be even harder

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    Yes, she will.
    She's already got back. But people who saw her a couple of weeks ago during Russian team test skate say she's still in a bad shape.

Custom Title
    Watching the Free Dance now...

1. I will love the Spanish team forever for selecting music from Slumdog Millionaire. I look forward to following them over the next few years - they're very interesting.

2. I liked the lifts from Sinitsina and Zhiganshin. They were fun to watch too.

3. Ralph/Hill were solid. I have to admit I'm not quite taken with this team as I'd like to be. Bonacorsi/Mager on the other hand - just beautiful. People here made the comment about the flash photography, and the announcer guy did sound really annoyed when he repeated it), so I choose the blame that for the fall (it might not be true, but it really did come from nowhere). I loved their first twizzle with the extend leg, and that final lift was just breathtakingly lovely. I'm glad they won a medal.

4. The Shibutanis... what can one say? Simply a class unto themselves here. I wasn't sold on a tango for them (too young? Brother/sister team?), but they sold it. They're just such wonderful skaters.

5. The depth in American ice dancing is crazy.

6. One thing I cherish now about ice dancing is the variety. I know that makes it a struggle to mark and compare, but I just enjoy the sport now a lot more than I did in the past.

Custom Title
    The Shibutanis were definitely magical. Every highlight of the music was gorgeous.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    But I don't think she could beat Alena even in a good day. Alena is much more consistant, she is going to do 3-3 this season and landing 3Lz and 3F (and Ksenia doesn't, maybe just yet, but...)
    I don't think Makarova can beat Alena either, but she is better than Gerboldt, imo and definitely has a shot at the Olympics and Worlds.

I hope Sheveleva can get a 2nd assignment, I loved her! She's so spunky and cute and has the big jumps already. Ovcharova had a similar score and is assigned to Poland, so maybe Rosa could go to Turkey or Croatia?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I don't think Makarova can beat Alena either, but she is better than Gerboldt, imo and definitely has a shot at the Olympics and Worlds.

I hope Sheveleva can get a 2nd assignment, I loved her! She's so spunky and cute and has the big jumps already. Ovcharova had a similar score and is assigned to Poland, so maybe Rosa could go to Turkey or Croatia?
    Katarina has 3Lz and 3F, so if she would skate clean I think Makarova wouldn't beat her. But Gerboldt is so inconsistant, people who saw her in Novogorsk say that she wasn't good, so who knows... And don't forget about Ksenia Doronina, It would be very hard for Makarova to beat her... But I think Makarova could go to Euros, 'cause Russia has 3 spots.

As for Sheveleva, let's just wait and see... But I like her too and hope to see her again at JGP ))

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    OMG, you're right. Very empty indeed.
    It was depressingly empty for many of the sessions. We attended all religiously from beginning to end. Very few fans; most family members of the skaters. However, I was really glad that I attended. Great skating by the Shibutanis who got a standing ovation by about 20 of us higher up in the stands. It was very cold in there, so very few people were sitting anywhere near the ice. I was up at least 12 rows and found it either comfortable or a bit cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    OMG, the pairs are starting.

Love those karate outfits! I hope Elvis is watching.
    They were even sharper in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicja View Post
    why? I thought Firth did a great job aside from the fall on the flip.
    Having been there live, I would tend to agree with beep_beep. I have to check out the protocols and find out why Makarova was not graded higher.

Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    I love them, but I have to agree with some of your points. The costumes were great with staying in traditional Japanese style, but the color mix of black/blue pants threw me off. I thought the music was a little fast for the step sequences, but when the drums kicked in at the end I think it fit much better because of that dramatic rotational lift.

Also, props to them because they were the only skaters that did an Asian-themed OD. They also had the best twizzles/lifts by far.
    My sense with respect to the costumes was that they were skating in either recycled or temporary costume fixes. Everyone in the arena were somewhat put off by Maia's bicycle shorts whose hue did not match with the purple in the tops. However, the live impression was that this team was entirely in another class. Their FD was stunning live.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 09-06-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: merging - please use the multiquote feature

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efreedman View Post
    My sense with respect to the costumes was that they were skating in either recycled or temporary costume fixes. Everyone in the arena were somewhat put off by Maia's bicycle shorts whose hue did not match with the purple in the tops. However, the live impression was that this team was entirely in another class. Their FD was stunning live.
    I apologize for keeping the conversation on costumes rather than skating, but I must say after watching the OD a few times they really grew on me.
    They fit the music very well without being outlandish. Probably the most complex-looking of all their costumes up to this point, but it looked well put-together and, above all, it was true to the music.
    I think the fact that I am so used to seeing them dress in solid, or nearly solid colors was what threw me off. I am glad they used these costumes overall

On terms of skating, the long lift on the OD was amazing. I mean it blew me away that they developed such a complex and difficult lift just from the end of last season. The tango literally left me speechless and clapping loudly in front of the computer.

As Alex said after the CD, I am thoroughly convinced they "can do anything now."

Custom Title
    I think the tights Maia wore for the OD were strange. I've never seen any Japanese traditional costumes with tights before. But it was nice, and very original (in terms of all the other ODs we see) for them to do a Japanese dance.

It's amazing that they won the JGP with a higher score than Chock/Zuerlein won JW last year!

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by liketotally View Post
    I think the tights Maia wore for the OD were strange. I've never seen any Japanese traditional costumes with tights before.
    I had heard that they did try a looser, more traditional looking pant, but it just wasn't working. The pants may be a "work in progress".

Custom Title
    Speaking of costumes, some of the Canadians' dance costumes need to be deep-sixed.

In the OD, Carswell wore a dress that aside from the color had nothing to do with the Irish folk dance they were supposedly doing. Doleman's costume was equally non-applicable. Carswell's FD costume was beige with a white underskirt, and that underskirt kept flying up and enveloping her in a cloud of white. It just looked as if she was displaying her underwear all through the dance.

Karis Ralph's FD costume was just awful. It looked like a cheap satin in a bilious shade of yellow, and the fabric was all bunchy on her body, and ill-fitting. And it also had the unfortunate white underskirt. I didn't much like the FD, either. It was much too much like the OD they did last season.

Of course, the Russians took the bad-taste trophy for the entire competition. With only a few exceptions, the overall theme seemed to be to clothe the skaters in the brightest-possible fluorescent colors. Yikes! The worst example: Sinitsina/Zhiganshin's the garish fluorescent-green and flowered OD costumes that looked as if they were made of upholstery fabric.
    Last edited by chuckm; 09-07-2009 at 02:25 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    In the OD, Carswell wore a dress that aside from the color had nothing to do with the Irish folk dance they were supposedly doing. Doleman's costume was equally non-applicable.
    Although their OD is listed as "Celtic folk dance", I believe that they were dancing to the traditional music of Nova Scotia. The music of that province is similar to Irish and Scottish, but has a distinct character of its own, and I expect that the clothing would also be distinct (though I couldn't tell you if the ice dancers' costumes were reasonable Nova Scotian outfits).

Custom Title
    The "Celtic folk dance" as done by Carswell/Doleman looked more like a polka than anything else. If there was "folk" in it anywhere, it wasn't obvious. Maybe that's why the judges dropped them to tenth in the OD.

The Germans did an Irish OD also, and it not only looked like a folk dance, but it was very entertaining.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19