Watch the JGP from Lake Placid - FREE! | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Watch the JGP from Lake Placid - FREE!

Tammi

On the Ice
I think the tights Maia wore for the OD were strange. I've never seen any Japanese traditional costumes with tights before.
I had heard that they did try a looser, more traditional looking pant, but it just wasn't working. The pants may be a "work in progress".

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of costumes, some of the Canadians' dance costumes need to be deep-sixed.

In the OD, Carswell wore a dress that aside from the color had nothing to do with the Irish folk dance they were supposedly doing. Doleman's costume was equally non-applicable. Carswell's FD costume was beige with a white underskirt, and that underskirt kept flying up and enveloping her in a cloud of white. It just looked as if she was displaying her underwear all through the dance.

Karis Ralph's FD costume was just awful. It looked like a cheap satin in a bilious shade of yellow, and the fabric was all bunchy on her body, and ill-fitting. And it also had the unfortunate white underskirt. I didn't much like the FD, either. It was much too much like the OD they did last season.

Of course, the Russians took the bad-taste trophy for the entire competition. With only a few exceptions, the overall theme seemed to be to clothe the skaters in the brightest-possible fluorescent colors. Yikes! The worst example: Sinitsina/Zhiganshin's the garish fluorescent-green and flowered OD costumes that looked as if they were made of upholstery fabric.

Last edited:

RUKen

Rinkside
In the OD, Carswell wore a dress that aside from the color had nothing to do with the Irish folk dance they were supposedly doing. Doleman's costume was equally non-applicable.

Although their OD is listed as "Celtic folk dance", I believe that they were dancing to the traditional music of Nova Scotia. The music of that province is similar to Irish and Scottish, but has a distinct character of its own, and I expect that the clothing would also be distinct (though I couldn't tell you if the ice dancers' costumes were reasonable Nova Scotian outfits).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The "Celtic folk dance" as done by Carswell/Doleman looked more like a polka than anything else. If there was "folk" in it anywhere, it wasn't obvious. Maybe that's why the judges dropped them to tenth in the OD.

The Germans did an Irish OD also, and it not only looked like a folk dance, but it was very entertaining.