Grave of the Fireflies | Golden Skate

Grave of the Fireflies

spumante

Rinkside
Has anyone seen this movie yet? I am totally impressed with this Japanese animation. Just saw it as part of the requirement to look for some film to write and critique about. This movie was made in 1988 and it takes me 15 years to discover it. Visually stunning with an interesting heavy theme that was presented in a very quiet and detached manner. Some critiques raved it as the most powerful war movie. Well if you are a fan of this rare film, post in. I like to hear from you.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Spumante.......is it being reshown in theaters or did you see it at a film festival? 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Have not heard of it, but it sounds interesting. I like foreign films. Have you seen "Raise the Red Lantern" or "Red Fire Cracker, Green Fire Cracker" from China? Both very good. Of course, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was wonderful. I think it should have won the Oscar for best picture.

spumante

Rinkside
I rented it from the video store. What impressed me so much about the movie is the fact that it doesn't attempt to replicate realism visually but the emotional effect is real. It's fictionalized ( well, semi-autobiography) but it's documentary-like. And it goes beyond the blaming mentality. You were focused right into this one boy's struggle for survival and of course he lost at the end. But throughout the movie, there were intertwining of the joy or beauty of life and sorrow. It is just so absorbing and I can go on forever about it.

Yes some foreign films are very fascinating. They have a different look and feel about it. You are transported into another context. I saw some of those movies mentioned in the prior post. Recently I saw an Italian one about a son of an abductor who discovered the abductee, a boy of his age. It started with his discovery of the victim, befriended him, and gradually realizing that his father was one of the gangsters that was involved in this crime. It was very involved and suspenseful without any idiotic special effect or violence. Another good one is an Iranian film "The Color of Paradise".