Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virtue and Moir in Prime Form for Olympics

News Virtue and Moir in Prime Form for Olympics

Canada's Olympic hopes in ice dancing for the upcoming Games are riding on the shoulders of Ontario's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. The couple, only 20 and 22 respectively, has skated together for 13 years. [More]

Custom Title
    Between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, North American ice dancing is in pretty good shape these days. I'm going to have a hard time rooting for just one of those couples in the Olympics. It's going to be another of those times (like the time G & G and Mishkutenok/Dmitriev competed) when I will wish for a tie at the top.

For some reason I hadn't realized that it was Zoueva they were working with. And she is using the Mahler Adagietto? Wasn't she the one who helped Gordeyeva prepare that piece for the eulogy to Sergei? Somehow I can't imagine that she could re-use it in any other context. I certainly associate it completely with Katia and Sergei. I'm sure they'll do a fine job, of course, and it will be beautiful.

Totally off the subject, but isn't Tessa Virtue the most beautiful name? She sounds like the heroine of a nineteenth-century novel written by a previously unknown Bronte sister.
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-30-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    They certainly are hard workers. I to, had not realized that they were working with Marina Zoueva. She is really a great choreographer. That freedance is a masterpiece.

I find it amazing that they only ran through their free dance five times the entire season and still managed to be on the podium at Worlds. That just blows my mind....talk about natural talent!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, North American ice dancing is in pretty good shape these days. I'm going to have a hard time rooting for just one of those couples in the Olympics.
    That's an easy one for me. I think Scott and Tessa are wonderful, and I'd like to see them do well in Vancouver. Except maybe not too well so that they won't retire too soon . I'd love to have them around until Sochi, to see what they might come up with. Meanwhile D/W are good technically but I think they need more time to mature artistically. So they can wait for the time being.

V/M and a French team on the podium works for me. Since realistically the Kerrs have zero chance of a medal, I don't care who rounds out the podium in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    V/M and a French team on the podium works for me. Since realistically the Kerrs have zero chance of a medal, I don't care who rounds out the podium in that case.
    Domnina / Shabalin!! I know, I know... About 6 months ago I called them only slightly more bearable than Belbin / Agosto. But that was before I noticed that Maksim is a classic-literature reading hottie.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I find it amazing that they only ran through their free dance five times the entire season and still managed to be on the podium at Worlds. That just blows my mind....talk about natural talent!
    and judges playing favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Domnina / Shabalin!! I know, I know... About 6 months ago I called them only slightly more bearable than Belbin / Agosto. But that was before I noticed that Maksim is a classic-literature reading hottie.
    Well, ok, that's cool - but Oksana has gone blonde again (not platinum, at least), and the skate gods should not reward that .

Tinymavy, so the judges had to play favorites for Scott and Tessa to medal. OK. I thought it was Dom/Shabs who were gifted. No wait, it was Tanith and Ben! I'm having a hard time keeping my villains straight. Personally, I liked P/B at Worlds. At least they got into the gala, though I'm not sure the audience appreciated Andy as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Oh please

Custom Title
    oh please, all D/W do well is making sure their elements are level 4 in order to help them score high points. Unfortunately, this new scoring system is about getting high levels, so teams who show quality skating, clear lines, good carriage are not always awarded...while teams like D/W rely on level 4 elements to stay with the top of the pack...And Meryl sometimes gives me back pain watching her.

ETA: Even with a standing ovation the judges were courageous enough (yes, courageous!) to not award any more points to D/W for their FD. Good for them.
    Last edited by Enthusiast; 08-30-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Oh no! Virtue/Moir vs. Davis/White - again!

There is this huge thread from 4CC 2008 about these two couples, go read it, knock yourselves out - it is very entertaining and absolutely evil.

Custom Title
    How do you think that the judges played favourites? Especially since it was so close in the end (I believe changing one GOE or one level in the PCS scores would've made the difference).

Marina and Igor have worked together for years... I'm shocked most didn't make teh connection as to who she was in "skating history"

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    How do you think that the judges played favourites? Especially since it was so close in the end (I believe changing one GOE or one level in the PCS scores would've made the difference).
    it should not have been that close. Sure Charlie made a mistake in the OD, but Virtue and Moir's OD was a mess and they fell out of their final lift in the Freedance and she tripped on the diagonal step sequence.

Custom Title
    I don't see the fall out of the lift or the trip, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't catch the latter unless it was obvious (a la Novitski in the 2008 worlds free). The lift sorta stopped right at the end (there was no flow out of it) - is that what you mean?

I thought they should've been farther ahead after the compulsories, truth be told. I think Davis/White should've beaten Virtue/Moir this year, but I don't think anyone was robbed so much as difference of opinion (I have to admit I really don't care for the lifts in the "Samson and Delilah" program, though they certainly skated a lights out performance).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast