16 21.62%
  • Johnny Wier

57 77.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who'll Make Men's Olympic Team from the USA

Custom Title

Who'll Make Men's Olympic Team from the USA

There's a thread like this for the women, but I think the mens depth of field is even stronger. You've got the reigning world champion. You've got the grand prix champion and national champion. You've got the bronze medalist from 2008. You've got the reigning world junior champion. And others. Which of these men do you think will make the Olympic Team (at this early juncture)
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 08-16-2009 at 11:30 AM.

I think at this point Evan's the one that already has his spot locked... even if he totally bombs at nationals (I don't expect him to) I'd bet anything if he petitioned to be on the team the USFSA would give it to him over the third place finisher at nationals...

I expect Johnny to make a comeback and take his place back on the world/olympic team. So long as he skates well this season he belongs on the team.

Abbott is my wild card... he does well at nationals... but I dunno... I'm hoping Ryan makes it just because I like him

Custom Title
    Definitely Lysacek and Weir, and the 3rd spot is a crapshoot. The rest of the guys had one or two good performances in their careers, but have failed to show even a smidge of consistency. Maybe Carriere is the most reliable of that lot. But my hope and money is on Rippon.

Plus, Lysacek, Weir and Rippon would make such a pretty team....

On the Ice
    i hope weir,lysacek and bradley (the only showman!)

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I think at this point Evan is the only shoe-in. So my vote goes to him.

But if Jeremy doesn't make it, I'm no longer interested, I'm afraid.

Custom Title
    I made this a multi-vote poll. I guess most people acknowledge Lysacek and Wier as the top two - I'm curious who's number three (and if Wier really is the number two or if a bad performance at nationals would render him done).

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Lysacek, Abbott, and Weir would be the best choices in terms of potential to medal. They have the best resumes and points potential; it all depends on how they skate. I hope they are the team and I hope they produce what they are capable of, particularly Jeremy, my favorite!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    But if Jeremy doesn't make it, I'm no longer interested, I'm afraid.
    I feel the same way. Without Jeremy, the US men are blah to me, although I do see potential in Adam and I like him a lot, but I want his time to be in the next Olympic cycle. There's still so much time left for him.

Like everyone else - I think Lysacek is a lock in for one of the spots even if he has a disaster at nationals - has the reigning world world champion ever not competed at the Olympics because they weren't good enough to place at nationals?

The second and third spots i think will be Weir and Rippon.

Ant

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    I know it's pretty unlikely, but I hope Lysacek won't make it ...

Custom Title
    1. Lysacek, Weir, Bradley
    I agree that Lysacek would have to do something pretty awful to not make it. Even if he gets 4th or 5th, I think he's got a locked spot.
    Johnny has been kinda off for a little while, but I definitely think that he is still one of the most talented American men. Granted things work in his favor and he's in good condition, I see no reason why he shouldn't make it.
    That leaves Brandon Mroz, Ryan Bradley and Stephen Carierre battling for the last spot. I have to say, I'd prefer Bradley or Carierre, probably Bradley. I think both of them have a more mature skating style, plus Mroz can come back in 2014; this really is Bradley's last shot. Bradley may not be quiet as consistent, but he gives the best performance and probably could bring in the highest score of the three if he has an "on" night.

Custom Title
    It's actually "Brandon" Mroz, not Brendan. And I pick him for the 3rd spot, behind Lysacek and Weir (for whom I am predicting a comeback, as long as he doesn't keep trying to survive on Starbucks and salad).
    Brandon has a quad toe and has very reliable technique overall, even though his artistry may not be quite up there with Jeremy Abbott's or Adam Rippon's. Brandon also experienced his first World Championships this year and his competition nerves proved to be tougher than Abbott's. Abbott got into the zone for Nationals and the GPF last year, but he has never managed to stay consistent.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Jeremy Abbot
    Evan & Johnny...Though they're not my faves, I can't see the judges not putting them through.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    It's actually "Brandon" Mroz, not Brendan. And I pick him for the 3rd spot, behind Lysacek and Weir (for whom I am predicting a comeback, as long as he doesn't keep trying to survive on Starbucks and salad).
    Brandon has a quad toe and has very reliable technique overall, even though his artistry may not be quite up there with Jeremy Abbott's or Adam Rippon's. Brandon also experienced his first World Championships this year and his competition nerves proved to be tougher than Abbott's. Abbott got into the zone for Nationals and the GPF last year, but he has never managed to stay consistent.
    Thanks for the correction. And for what it's worth, I voted for Mroz too.

Custom Title
    1). Definitely Evan.
    2). USFSA may send Johnny or Jeremy regardless of how they do in the Grand Prix I think...ok, unless they completely bomb everything.
    3). Mroz. He and Evan were the ones to even get us three spots after all with their Worlds performances (even with Mroz far from how he performed at Nationals). Plus, he's coming out of his shell this season with a shake yo booty SP....just paraphrasing Tom I feel like that will win over some fans who currently don't think he has much charisma.
    Last edited by cornell08; 09-03-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast