Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JGP Lake Placid, Aug 2-5

Custom Title
    Thanks for the information.

Are Canadian skaters allowed to repeat as Junior champions, or are they required to move up? Also, what is the advantage to competing in senior as compared to junior? There must be a reason that so many junior-eligible skaters compete in seniors. I know that the free skate, at least, is longer in seniors, so it would seem to me that it's extra work for a team.

Rinkside
    It is no longer a rule that once you win jr you must move up to sr (unless you win jr 3 times I beleive???), however I am guessing the advantage in Brittany and Kurtis' case would be that moving up ensures they do nothing to "tarnish" their reputation as Junior Pairs Champions (i.e. finishing 2nd or lower :S). I don't know if that's the right wording exactly, but basically I think the common beleif is it doesn't really "look good" if you repeat a level and do worse than before... so unless you are sure you can win again, it's better to move up!

I also think that when it comes to Jr. Worlds selection, competiting sr while jr age eligible has some advantages, as putting up a decent showing (i.e. mid-pack or higher) against the srs often carries more weight in the selection process than finishing 2nd or 3rd in jr... but that is just my speculation... I know strong international results earlier in the season are also important in the selection for Jr. Worlds as well...

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I never watch the JGP but decided last night to watch some of the ladies from Lake Placid. I was shocked at how good they were! I'm going to watch the other disciplines too. So, between Junior GP, Senior GP, and NFL football, I am NEVER going to get anything done this fall.

Custom Title
    Actually, the Ladies FS at LP was a major splatfest. IMO, the best performances were given by Kristine Musademba and Isabel Olsson. Makaraova was just OK---and she just barely squeezed herself into her FS costume.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Thanks for the information.

Are Canadian skaters allowed to repeat as Junior champions, or are they required to move up? Also, what is the advantage to competing in senior as compared to junior? There must be a reason that so many junior-eligible skaters compete in seniors. I know that the free skate, at least, is longer in seniors, so it would seem to me that it's extra work for a team.
    I think it's just not seen as "sporting" to continue in a category you've already won. As well, it takes some time to establish yourself at the senior level so why not start that process if you've already won Junior?

I think Sweet6.0 may also be onto something with the theory that competing senior when you are still junior eligible carries some weight with regards to international assignment. The senior category has higher factors and extra elements that help a team post higher scores too.

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da0X67jkYoU
    video with alot of photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2