Update on Rosaleen Kaye | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Update on Rosaleen Kaye

Nadine

Record Breaker
Good to hear! :thumbsup:

This seems like a good time for me to mention that I received a beautiful card from Rosaleen's mother last week with some encouraging words (btw keep the letters, et al, coming, it makes all the difference in the world), but since I didn't see the pinned thread I didn't post about it. In it she also hoped that Rosaleen would be able to use & enjoy her Olympics tickets, thus I am glad to hear P.J. Kwong's latest report.:clap:

Lastly, I'd just like to say Rosaleen's mother is an honest to God angel, Rosaleen is so blessed to have her & vice versa. Remember God doesn't give us more than we can bear.

Peace & God Bless,

Nadine

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nadine, Are you still OK with people who want Rosaleen's current address PMing your for it?

N

n_halifax

I have only just started posting again after not having been active on any forums/websites in almost 5-6 years really... so sad to hear this news and best wishes to both Rosaleen and her family!

Ryan
Former Webmaster, Intensity On Ice

shine

Record Breaker
Best wishes to Rosaleen and family! I enjoyed her reports very very much in the past!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have only just started posting again after not having been active on any forums/websites in almost 5-6 years really... so sad to hear this news and best wishes to both Rosaleen and her family!

Ryan
Former Webmaster, Intensity On Ice

AHA! I remember you/your site! welcome back!

kalamalka

Rinkside
Hello, everyone -
It's good to see the continued interest and posts in this thread. I was particularly missing Rosaleen's posts during both the Challenge event, and Junior Canadians this week. Not many people attend these events, and detailed posts are very rare on any board. Golden Skate and Rosaleen's posts were just about the next best thing to being there!
I spent the weekend watching Canadians with Rosaleen, on line and on CBC, and we were also able to take a look at what was being posted. She's continuing to make progress, although it's frustratingly slow for her. She moved into a long term care facility two weeks ago, is getting familiar with a powered wheelchair, and getting more independence. She's really looking forward to the Olympics - she now has tickets to almost all of the skating events, and has always been interested in several other winter sports as well, so the Winter Olympics in her home town is the event of a lifetime. She would have been volunteering if not for the stroke.

We're also hoping that she will be able to connect with some of her on-line friends and acquaintances during the Olympics - so if anyone will be in Vancouver during those two weeks, please let me know.

Paula DeBeck

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just an update, as I received a lovely letter from Rosaleen's mother, Catherine, last month.

Rosaleen is doing well, still unable to speak much except one or two words, but is getting around with the help of a wheelchair. She even rides the bus all on her own. And, lol, she gets obstinate with her mother every now & then, like at tax time. :D

She has her ups & downs, of course, as we all do, but is steadily going forward. In fact 2011 looks to be a good year for her! That's when she will be able to receive private classes in speech & physiotherapy. :)^)

Still, there are one or two downsides, like Rosaleen going to the local mall & getting snacks (or having someone else do it for her), which isn't good for her diabetes. And also some of the residents have been stealing Rosaleen's many gifts that people send her. Thus, her mother specifically asked me NOT to send her any more gifts (nor anyone else) because of this severe problem. Thank goodness she keeps the jewelry I sent her at her mother's home, except when Rosaleen requests to wear it. :)^) But otherwise there's nothing to be done because Rosaleen is unable to speak and tell her mother whom stole such & such, nor is she unable to write at this point, but with God's help she will do so very very soon! :)

It's still okay to send cards & letters though, Catherine says it cheers Rosaleen up & makes her feel better that her friends are thinking of her. :)

p.s. I ask that you all keep Catherine in your thoughts & prayers as well, she had a bad case of pneumonia this past April-May, and her lungs are still recovering.

***Note: I also have the address where Rosaleen is staying at if someone wishes to write her a letter or send her a card. Just PM me. Thanks! :)^)***

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for the update, Nadine! I was thinking about her just the other day!

Nadine, thanks so much! I remember her from my lurking days and was very distressed at her illness. It's good to hear news about her. Goes on the bus alone! That's terrific.

It's easy to forget how difficult a severe illness is for the caregiver. Thanks for reminding us to think of Rosaleen's mother as well.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, GS, about posting without looking at the very first post. I didn't realize it was updated until after the fact. Lol, I just thought the thread magically appeared out of the blue, but noticed that it hadn't been updated since last January, therefore I took it upon myself to update everybody with my latest letter received from Catherine last month. Once again, my apologies. And please disregard the note I included, as I see the address has already been posted. :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROSALEEN & CATHERINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)^)

maureenrf

Spectator
Hi - I am Rose's cousin, Maureen. I wanted to give you an update on Rose, to let you know that her email address is now rosaleenkaye [at] yahoo.ca . Her mother (my aunt) is still working very hard to help Rose, who remains partially paralyzed, though she is able to get about in a wheelchair. It is still difficult for her to speak or type, though she is still going through rehabilitation. She really enjoys getting email, but she cannot respond. If any of you would be kind enough to send her updates on skating, pictures, or even just a short note, that would be really wonderful. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about Rosaleen the other day, because of Nationals and 4CC. It's great to have a bulletin on her. Please send her and her mother our best regards.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The FSU Christmas card exchange sent Rose a lot of cards. Perhaps we could send her Easter cards?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the latest update, maureen, glad she's getting better. :)

I've been remiss in my exchange with Catherine this past summer (please give her my apologies; misplaced the letter she sent me), as my 14 yr. old companion & protector (received him when he was a baby when I was serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in South America) was in & out of the veterinary hospital all summer long, finally dying on September 23, 2011 at 10:38AM in my arms; the official last day of summer, which was apt as he was my "sunshine boy". :) Anyhow, that's why I never got around to contacting her. She'll hear from me soon though. :)^) Thank goodness I still have one elderly canine companion left, my chihuahua. :love:

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, Nadine. That's quite a loss. A dog or a cat can be part of the family. It's good that you had so many happy years with him.

I hope you'll tell us more about your time with the Peace Corps. I've known two people who served, and I think it's one of the finest things anyone can do.

Last edited: