What do you think of these junior ladies? | Golden Skate

What do you think of these junior ladies?

sk8indel

On the Ice
Some ladies we will most likely see at Nationals in junior include Nina Jiang, Angela Wang, and Vanessa Lam. In my opinion, this event will be very competitive and most likely end up with close scores. Nina Jiang (12) posted a 127.64 at the Bluebonnet open this summer, and seems to be pretty consistant. On the other hand, Angela Wang (13) only posted a 63.54 freeskate at Golden West a few days ago. She seems to be very inconsistant considering she had the highest scored freeskate (it was near perfect) at Nationals last year. Also at Golden West, Vanessa Lam (not sure birthday, so she is 13 or 14) scored an 84.33 which is very good for her. She consitantly recieves scores in the mid/high 70's to low 80's and it is her second year as a junior. I have only seen her complete one type of triple jump and her doubles do not have as much height as some of the other skaters. Does anyone know how many triples each girl has? And what are your thoughts for the junior event this coming winter? What other skaters have you seen recent scores of, and which other ladies from Novice last year have moved up not including Mary Beth Marley and Kiri Baga?

Last edited:

sk8indel

On the Ice
I just looked at the final round scores of Golden West and Vanessa Lam had a HUGE freeskate score of 89.7 (most likely a personal best) giving her an overall score of 137.17. That is the highest freeskate score I have seen of any junior lady this summer.

sk8indel

On the Ice
Yasmin is 13 as well right? Do you know if Angela has had a growth spurt? If she has that could greatly contribute to her recent low scores. I don't remember where but I saw in one recent copetition her free skate score was only in the 50's. And on that bote, do you know if any of the other girls have grown a lot in the past year?

Narumi1997

Rinkside
she was 12 when she competed at liberty. At liberty Lauren Dinh ( competing as a novice) looked a little taller, but by looking at the scores, I think it has helped her jumps

sk8indel

On the Ice
Well that's good :) Do you know if Lauren is highly outscoring the other novice ladies considering it is her second year in that division?

Narumi1997

Rinkside
Here are lauren's approximate leads ahead of the pack with her scores
5 points short final 43.06
11 points long final 76.58
11 points short qual. group E 44.13
16 points long qual. group E 66.77

sk8indel

On the Ice
Here are lauren's approximate leads ahead of the pack with her scores
5 points short final 43.06
11 points long final 76.58
11 points short qual. group E 44.13
16 points long qual. group E 66.77

The 76.58 is quite good for her. Do you know if she has the same programs as last year? I hope she has a new short because she used the same music and dress two years in a row already.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
U.S. Junior Ladies Highest Known FS scores from summer competitions as of 8/23/09:

102.18 Agnes Zawadzki (SW region), DuPage Open in August
93.16 Mary Beth Marley (UGL), Skate Detroit final round in July
89.70 Vanessa Lam (SWP), Golden West this past weekend
89.33 Kiri Baga (UGL), MN State Championships in August
87.58 Lindsay Davis (SWP), Golden West this past weekend
86.57 McKinzie Daniels (UGL), Broadmoor Open in June
85.14 Haley Dunne (SA), Liberty final round in July

I know Zawadzki, Lam, and Dunne have all landed 3Lz in at least one of their Jr. free skates this summer (Zawadzki landed 2 in her impressive FS at DuPage and 5 clean triples total), and both she and Daniels have included/attempt 5 different triples through Lz in their FS. Marley and Davis have landed up through 3Lo in their programs, while Baga and Daniels both attempted 3Lz at Liberty (rotated but not cleanly landed).

Baga (2009 U.S. novice champ) recently was assigned to the JGP in Germany, while Marley and Zawadzki are currently listed as JGP alternates for the USA.

Link to an unofficial compilation of U.S. Junior Ladies' Highest Known Total Scores in summer competitions through 8/16/09 (listed by the 9 regionals): http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2009/08/2009-junior-ladies-top-ijs-scores.html

Last edited:

sk8indel

On the Ice
U.S. Junior Ladies Highest Known FS scores from summer competitions as of 8/23/09:

102.18 Agnes Zawadzki (SW region), DuPage Open in August
93.16 Mary Beth Marley (UGL), Skate Detroit final round in July
89.70 Vanessa Lam (SWP), Golden West this past weekend
89.33 Kiri Baga (UGL), MN State Championships in August
87.58 Lindsay Davis (SWP), Golden West this past weekend
86.57 McKinzie Daniels (UGL), Broadmoor Open in June
85.14 Haley Dunne (SA), Liberty final round in July

I know Zawadzki, Lam, and Dunne have all landed 3Lz in at least one of their Jr. free skates this summer (Zawadzki landed 2 in her impressive FS at DuPage and 5 clean triples total), and both she and Daniels have included/attempt 5 different triples through Lz in their FS. Marley and Davis have landed up through 3Lo in their programs, while Baga and Daniels both attempted 3Lz at Liberty (rotated but not cleanly landed).

Baga (2009 U.S. novice champ) recently was assigned to the JGP in Germany, while Marley and Zawadzki are currently listed as JGP alternates for the USA.

Link to an unofficial compilation of U.S. Junior Ladies' Highest Known Total Scores in summer competitions through 8/16/09 (listed by the 9 regionals): http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2009/08/2009-junior-ladies-top-ijs-scores.html

Thank you, the link was very helpful.

sk8indel

On the Ice
she was 12 when she competed at liberty. At liberty Lauren Dinh ( competing as a novice) looked a little taller, but by looking at the scores, I think it has helped her jumps

Yasmin turned 13 on july 30th. Do you by chance know whn skaters get an icenetwork bio page? I thought it was when they star competing junior but vanessa lam doesn't have one. I think? she will only be 13 at 2010 nats.

OnTheEdge

Rinkside
I believe they have to be on a team envelope to have a bio on icenetwork. Jr. ladies will be very strong at Nat's this year, amen.

sk8indel

On the Ice
Does anyone know if joy jin or kelly nguyen are still skating, I haven't heard their names in the skating world in quite some time.

sk8indel

On the Ice
And also, has anyone heard anything about Ibuki Mori? She moved to Japan earlier this year and is a very talented young skater.