JGP Toruń, POLAND (Sept. 9th- Sept. 12th, 2009) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

JGP Toruń, POLAND (Sept. 9th- Sept. 12th, 2009)

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I imagine the Japanese skaters knew from the beginning that the second assignment would go to the higher finishing skaters, especially with such few spots.

All I'm hoping is that they learned from their "selection error" for 2009 Junior Worlds last year.

Fenena

Spectator
There is a deadline for the entry of each event.
It would be too late if they wait and see the results of all four events.

So, it is quite normal for JSU to keep the entry to anyone(usually the one assigned the first event), while at the same time, register all other players as substitutes.
They can replace the entry considering the results of all players.

The name "Kondo" is a kind of "dummy". It's not decided yet who will get the second assignment.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
very happy to see Keegan made a comeback despite the injury! :eek: Alaska represent! :rock:

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Kanako is a very lovely skater, but her jumping technique is very reminiscent of Zhang's. Let's hope that changes as she matures.

shine

Record Breaker
Kanako is a very lovely skater, but her jumping technique is very reminiscent of Zhang's. Let's hope that changes as she matures.
It is not.... Her jumps are tight and have some actual spring and height. And she doesn't flutz. And her 2axel is about twice as good as Zhang's.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
It is not.... Her jumps are tight and have some actual spring and height. And she doesn't flutz. And her 2axel is about twice as good as Zhang's.

I meant her toe jumps (especially her lutz and flip). She vaults her free leg up into the air just as Zhang does.

ks777

Record Breaker

actually she does flutz pretty bad.

coconutpunch

Rinkside
Kanako definitely flutzes, but I'll forgive her since so many junior ladies have edge errors of some kind anyway. She actually worked on her jump technique and the axel/salchow looks a lot better compared to last season too - one step at a time, folks. :)

For those who are interested, the same user on DM (shah85) have uploaded the LP of Takahashi/Tran, Yuzuru, and the FD of Ilinykh/Katsalapov. :clap:

harmy18

Rinkside

she does flutz, from the date I knew she used to have the same coach as Mao

I just wonder if all the skaters under that coach would have the similar defects or not:scratch:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm a little surprised at the lack of comment about Ilinyk/Katsalpov. They skated to music from Schindler's List, in Poland, and she's wearing concentration camp garb (oh, and the music sounded like it ended with a gunshot). Am I being overly sensitive or is that extremely tasteless?

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
she does flutz, from the date I knew she used to have the same coach as Mao

I just wonder if all the skaters under that coach would have the similar defects or not:scratch:

Just so you know, Mao's first coach wasn't Machiko Yamada. Mao's jumping technique was probably taught by Monna, Mao's first coach, who coaches Miki Ando on and off when she is in Japan.

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, Yamada was also Ito's coach. I don't know if Midori flutzed (I wasn't around back then) but she had some of the best jumps of all time.

icedancexpert

Rinkside
I'm a little surprised at the lack of comment about Ilinyk/Katsalpov. They skated to music from Schindler's List, in Poland, and she's wearing concentration camp garb (oh, and the music sounded like it ended with a gunshot). I'm I being overly sensitive or is that extremely tasteless?

I think they're a good team. They have solid basics and they skate with pretty good speed. I think they're skating skills are better than the likes of Antipova/Kudashev, Cannuscio/Lorello which explains the gap in the component scores....but they seem to lack polish to me. He skates with his shoulders kind of hunched and from what I could see, he doesn't skate with much expression on his face (I have only seen the videos on youtube of them, but I never really get a glimpse into his personality when he skates).

They create some nice lines, and she has a smooth quality to her skating but they do a lot of crossovers. At some points in their fd/od, they do as many as 3 crossovers together (and they don't skate in hold, they do them in an open position (don't know what they refer to that as)). This gives them nice speed, but it creates breaks in the choreo which caused me to lose interest half way through their od.

I was interested to see the fd when I heard they skated to Schindler's List, but I think the whole packaging was done in really poor taste. I was actually horrified. They may see it as theatrical but I found it completely unnecessary. There are gun shots at the beginning and at the end and I feel like her costuming (while it may be accurate) is over the top. The gun shots certainly are. I don't know how audiences will react. I know I would be very hesitant to applaud the program because of the gun shots and the sensitive subject matter that they are portraying.

In terms of the ladies, I am so happy for Kanako, but I am sad for Kate. She had a great Canadians and hopefully she'll be able to improve on her performances.