New computer | Golden Skate

New computer

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
:)
Two of my daughters are giving me a new computer for Christmas. It is to be delivered tonight. Don't know when it will be installed. What do I do to keep all my info, etc. and not cause problems????????????????

I am not an expert, so maybe someone else will come on and give more details.

If you are asking just about Golden Skate, you do not have to do anything. You can log on from any computer and with any ISP, and this will not affect your account in any way. You do not need to re-register or anything.

If you mean in general, assuming that you do not want to create a network which includes both of your computers, you should make copies of all the files that you want to save. If you have a CD writer, that's best. You can also save files to floppy discs, but you might need a lot of them, like maybe hundreds if you want to save a lot of stuff, especially pictures, etc.

For programs, the easiest thing is if you kept the original discs -- you can just reload them onto your new computer. (Even better, if the new computer comes with all of your favorite programs already loaded.)

Merry Christmas!

Mathman

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ok now, don't laugh. My son put a bunch of stuff on discs but I have never used them as I have no idea how. I suppose you just install them and they just start? Anyway, it won't have discs it will have a cd burner. Whatever that is. The girls thought the Cd thing would be better and since I never learned anything about the discs it wouldn't matter. I would guess I could email some of the stuff to my Yahoo account so I could get it off that. I'm just amazed I have learned what I have. I thought my husband was really foolish for getting a computer when he bought it. Never thought I would ever use it. :laugh: I was really frightened of it. I never took any kind of lessons. I probably should but it would be too boring to start now. Thanks for your input, Mathman.