Japan Open | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Wow, I've never been a huge Mao fan, but I have to admit she seems to have made some major improvements. She is certainly relating to the music better. Still wish those landings could get more stretched out, but she's definitely going to make a strong case for herself this season.

By the way, wasn't this the music Michelle Kwan had selected for her 2006 Olympic LP?

kalle

On the Ice
Read over on FSU that Joannie started of the season with a PB :clap:

Laura tried both 3F&3Z (to be confirmed) and got a PB too.

Mao did some mistakes, went for 2 3A again but singled one of them along with a 1S, looks like she is using the same jump layout as last season..

Jeff did very good (should come back and compete!) and Stephane too.

Please delete this post if not allowed to copy from another board.

Kati

On the Ice
Great competition for the Europeans. I'm happy for Laura, who went for 3lz and 3fl. Very good for her, this was her first competition this season! :clap:

Okami

On the Ice
Scores:

Ladies:
Joannie Rochette: 126.39 [3Lz-2T、3F、3Lo、3Lz、3T-3S SEQ、2A-2A SEQ、3S]
Laura Lepisto: 110.86 [3T、3Lz!、3Lo+2T、1A+2T、2Lo、2A、3S+2T]
Mao Asada: 102.94 [3A fall、1A、3F+2Lo+2Lo、1S、3F+2Lo、3T、2A ] Looked off in practice and especially after the fall on 3A. But choreo reportedly was very impressive
Yukari Nakano: 91.52 [Painful fall on 3A, 3F, 2lz, camel Arrow donut, 3F+2T, 2Lo、3T+2T+2T、3S (two-footed)] Had to ice her shoulder in K&C
Elena Glebova: 85.16
Bebe Liang: 62.38

Men:
Stephane Lambiel: 150.52 [2A, 4T(fall), 3F+3T, 3Lo, 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A, 3S]
Jeff Buttle: 142.26 [2A, 3F+3T, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, 3S+2Lo, 2A, 3Lz, 2A, 3S]
Jeremy Abott: 132.87 [4T(under-rotated, fall), 3F, 3A+2T, 2A, 3A (or 2A??), 3Lz, 3Lo, 2S+2T]
Takahiko Kozuka: 130.13 [2T, 3A(step out), 3Lz+2T+2Lo, 3Lo+2T, 3A, 3F, 1S, 3Lz]
Samuel Contesti: 117.49
Takeshi Honda: 109.58

Final results:
Europe 464.03
NA 463.90
Japan 434.17

Europe pulled an upset! :clap: Everybody were talking that NA or Japan have it bagged...

Mao, Yukari & Takahiko looked very off. :( I hope it's just sickness/karaokeing too much last night and not a sign of things to come...

Can't wait for Carnival on Ice tomorrow. Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda and Shizuka Arakawa will be there! :rock: :love:

casken

On the Ice
Thanks so much Okami! :thumbsup:

Wow, it looks like Rochette had one of her best ever skates. Impressive considering how early it is in the season.

And :eek: at Bebe's score. That would have only been good enough for 24th place in the LP at worlds last season.

Look forward to seeing this.

kandidy

Final Flight
It's on Tokyo TV now, Arakawa Shizuka is now doing guest show.
Sarah Brightman "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY"

She looks very thinnnnn .Love her dress, beautiful triple and spiral as usual.

kandidy

Final Flight
Jeffrey's program was beautiful.
Piano piece and blue costumes.
Great choreography, step out of triple salchow.
beautiful movements went along with the music.

kandidy

Final Flight
Stephan Lambiel

Tango

fell of the quad

almost fell on triple loop

a bit slow on step seq

Beautifil triple lutz-triple toe, triple flip

step on double axel

highest score on men

I think I enjoyed Jeffrey's program more though.

kandidy

Final Flight
Kozuka

Miss on quad and triple axel

stumble on trilpe lutz combination

1 salchow

3 Lutz
He was not on today.

Okami

On the Ice
Joining in!

Abbott
Why did he change the music? :( Jupiter suited him more, IMHO. This music makes me think of Miki.
Great speed and nice variety of transitions. Smooth. 3As were nice, too bad about the mistakes on other jumps (mostly doubling).

Okami

On the Ice
Unfortunate fluff title... "Stop Japan!" Well, congrats TV Tokyo, you just jinxed your team. :(

ETA: Bad news. Yukari got injured during her performance and withdrew from Carnival on Ice :(

casken

On the Ice
Despite the jump problems, I found Contesi's program to be much stronger than last years. The cowboy one was entertaining, but it had a lot of stops/posing whereas this one had almost constant movement with nice connecting steps. The footwork sequences were a lot stronger as well.

Honda skated his 2002 Olympic program and did pretty well considering how long it's been. I'm sure the spins/footwork had low levels though.

Buttle didn't have the 3 axel, but everything else looked as good as, or even superior to when he won worlds. The spins were excellent and footwork sequences were superbly choreographed and performed. Elegant, understated program. I know he doesn't want to but he should totally come back.

Lambiel skated ok, but I hope he goes through with changing the program for the Olympics like he hinted he might. I think it's the least interesting LP he's done, and my impression was that there's a lot of posing. Spins and footwork were excellent as usual. I actually thought Buttle was a bit better overall though.

Kozuka was a bit hit and miss with the jumps and I wasn't really sold on the music at first. But by the end I really liked it and it's definitely a different look for him. Darker and a bit of an edge. Nice choreography.

The video was really jittery during Abbott's program, so it was hard to get a feel for it, but nothing I saw impressed me as much as that clip I saw of his previously planned FS. It's good to see that he seems to have the triple axel under control again after losing it late last season at least.

I have to say the most striking thing overall was seeing so many good footwork sequences that where both well choreographed and skated with flow. :clap:

Now onto the ladies!

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
I will be away for a while, please continue the pbp!

I will! :)

I hope my feed continues to cooperate. :)

Ladies warming up. Mao's dress looks much better than on photos. The bright flashy blue parts look dark midnight blue on the screen.

Bebe on! :) Light blue sleeveless dress. New World Symphony by Dvorak + excerpt from Symphonic Dances opus 45 by Rachmaninoff

Missed the beginning
1F
1L
Combination spin
2A UR stepout
Very nice lyrical part
Flying sit nice
Steps into 3F, looked UR, step out
Spiral seq nice speed
She's lyrical and very fast, shame about the jumps
3Lz UR fall
St sq straigh, gorgeous!
3T fall but rotated
Flying combination spin

Beautiful program but the jumps weren't there :(

Okami

On the Ice
Elena Glebova

Cappricio Espagnol (LOVE the music)

2A-3T
3L wonky landing
nice speed 3S-2T-2T
music changes
Spiral nice speed
shaky back spiral fan with hand assist
3T-2T
Upright spin with change of foot
music fast again
3S I think
2A
2A shaky langing 2T
Flying sit (?)
Straight step seq
Combo spin

My feed died! :( I hope it's back soon.

Okami

On the Ice
Yukari Nakano
Stravinsky Firebird

3A awful fall Yukari bends and holds her arm :( :(
But joins the music after a few seconds
3S-2T
2Lz :(
Flying camel into donut gorgeous
Beautiful music and choreo
Gorgeous costume, unitard
Much improved spiral, loud applause
ina into 3F-2T
2L :(
Flying combination spin beautiful
Lots of speed steps into 3T-2T-2T
3S
Steps great!
I love the music
Final combo spin fantastic!

Gosh, I LOVED the choreography. But the jumps weren't there... It looks like she hurt herself bad falling on 3A :(

Okami

On the Ice
Ah, it looks like we'll see Yukari on CoI after all! She feels better, :)

Joannie
Samson & Delilah
3Lz-2T UR Step out
3F
3L
nice landings
Flying sit with change of foot
Spiral seq shaky coe not fond of catchfoot position
Nice use of arms
3Lz looked ur? maybe just feed
3T-3S
Slow part merges into Korsakovs fast part