Japan Open | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

SusieH

On the Ice
But Jeffrey can actually skate. I want the Buttle back!

Yes! After this event I also hope he can change his mind and come back :) And I would like to point out Jeff Buttle's last spin sequence was invalid (double dipping) and so wasn't counted. Otherwise his score would be even higher (and would give Team North America the win).

merrybari

Final Flight
And I would like to point out Jeff Buttle's last spin sequence was invalid (double dipping) and so wasn't counted. Otherwise his score would be even higher (and would give Team North America the win).

Oh - I hadn't noticed that! Of such small things . . . any one of which could've tipped the scale the other way.

Besides, Japan didn't do as well as either of the others, so why would losing to Japan be more honorable. Not everyone on every team was "on" that day. Early in the season. Some using non-eligible skaters - which I thought was one of the requirements. - one eligible and one not each in ladies and men.

Still a good testing ground for those who were there and a chance for fans to see more skating.

The variance in opinion right here has been very interesting to read - once again reaffirming - different strokes for different folks.

What a season 2010 promises to be - for fans and skaters alike! I'm ready! Hope they are too. Bring it!! :clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well the US also set Bebe Liang who was horrible and Canada sent Jeff who doesn't even compete anymore. It was just a fluff competition anyways...doesn't really matter.

Just bolded the key term in that paragraph...one that everyone should keep in mind. :biggrin:

This seems to be the equivalent of the now-defunct Campbell's Classic that used to be held here in the US back in the early 2000s. That comp didn't really mean anything but it was a chance for fans to get to see the skaters' competitive programs for the first time. Same case here. Most of this generation's fluff competitions will be over in Asia.

Man, as recently as 2006 I remember those Campbell's and Marshall's fluff events were still around (albeit in a new "Skating Idol" format). Some of the hardcore fans didn't like them, though- I wonder if they feel the same way about the Japan Open.

jovani2293

On the Ice
I watched Miki's SP a few times because I was not sure if her costume, hair and makeup distracted my judgment of the actual SP. I am afraid that it did.
I am not to crazy about the music but Miki makes it work for her. She had one fall but I thought she skated very well. I sure hope she changes her costume.

I agree. Just take off the spider and change the makeup and hair a little bit.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well the US also set Bebe Liang who was horrible and Canada sent Jeff who doesn't even compete anymore. It was just a fluff competition anyways...doesn't really matter.

Still, Jeff managed to finish a very respectable 2nd among the men with Joannie taking 1st and Jeremy taking 3rd while Bebe finished dead last among the ladies and, from what I've read, didn't even land 1 clean triple.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems like Team Asada is trying to copy Yu-Na's style.

Mao can skate to anything well but I worry about this choice.

Also, they need to change her jump layout. It's really bad. She is wasting her combinations and she needs to include the Lutz - with the old technique, not the new one. Stop worrying about the edge and just do the jump. She always had great flow and air position on the Lutz. A solo 3T is such a waste. This would work a lot better:

3Axel
3Flip-3Loop
3Sal
-------
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip (out of footwork)
3Lutz-2Loop-2Loop (out of footwork)
3Loop (near the end of the program; she can do this jump like it's nothing)

Ladies are limited to attempting only 7 triples. You have 1 too many in this case with your proposed jump layout for Mao, and she would receive no credit at all for the 8th triple.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy Abbott. Why so cautiously and studiously?! Well, he said in that fluff before stepping onto the ice, the program is too new to him and he has to think a lot in the process. So prob that's why. The 1st half is so generic, and the dark costume doesn't really help. There's interesting moves in his routine here and there though.

Yes, the new LP for Jeremy was only 3 weeks old when he debuted it at Japan Open. For a long program to be that new, he did a very respectable job with it. To contrast, Joannie's LP was choreographed back in April, which explained the comfortability she had with completing her elements at the Japan Open.

Nadine

Record Breaker
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2009/

Is this like the cheesefest we had last year? According to the site entries are:

Mao
Yukuri Nakano
Laura Lipesto
Bebe Liang
Joannie Rochette
Sarah Meir

Jeff Buttle
Stephane Lambiel
Jermey Abbott
Takahito Kozuka

I watched this on youtube over the weekend, Mao repeatedly & Yukari once, and have to say I'm pleased with both of their programs, suits them perfectly. :)

The Bells of Moscow is perfect for Mao....powerful music for a powerful skater.....now she only needs the jumps to make it a masterpiece! ***Note: on a purely aesthetic note, I hope to see Mao eventually wear a costume that does justice to this music (e.g. blood red with gold trim with makeup & hair to match)***

She's slowly building from competition to competition, one step at a time, she's not soup yet, 50% at this cheesefest, debut of her program is all. The real race to the Olympics begins at TEB in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully she'll be at 70% there & then 80% at COR a week later, 90% at the GPF, 95% at Nationals & then finally 100% at the Olympics (crossing fingers). :)

By the way, I'm not surprised that Mao chose to keep the same jump layout from last year, she's a risky skater, she needs to always challenge herself to achieve a higher level, anything less is a waste of her capabilities. This is why she is an exciting skater to watch, I'm always on the edge of my seat biting my nails. She reminds me of my other favorite skater, Sarah Hughes, especially during the Olympic Season. Sarah too built & built & built until the Olympics. I still have her stats, lol. She became the first female skater in history to do two triple/triple combinations in the FS at the Olympics. Here's hoping Mao Asada also becomes the first female skater in history to complete two triple axels in the FS at the Olympics (not to mention I hope she also becomes the first female skater in history to complete a 3axel in the SP, she'll need it)!

Citius, Altius, Fortius

p.s. I can't wait to hear how Sasha Cohen does at her cheesefest as well tonight. :) What a beginning to the Olympic Season for all the skaters, it's finally here.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I watched this on youtube over the weekend, Mao repeatedly & Yukari once, and have to say I'm pleased with both of their programs, suits them perfectly. :)

The Bells of Moscow is perfect for Mao....powerful music for a powerful skater.....now she only needs the jumps to make it a masterpiece! ***Note: on a purely aesthetic note, I hope to see Mao eventually wear a costume that does justice to this music (e.g. blood red with gold trim with makeup & hair to match)***

She's slowly building from competition to competition, one step at a time, she's not soup yet, 50% at this cheesefest, debut of her program is all. The real race to the Olympics begins at TEB in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully she'll be at 70% there & then 80% at COR a week later, 90% at the GPF, 95% at Nationals & then finally 100% at the Olympics (crossing fingers). :)

By the way, I'm not surprised that Mao chose to keep the same jump layout from last year, she's a risky skater, she needs to always challenge herself to achieve a higher level, anything less is a waste of her capabilities. This is why she is an exciting skater to watch, I'm always on the edge of my seat biting my nails. She reminds me of my other favorite skater, Sarah Hughes, especially during the Olympic Season. Sarah too built & built & built until the Olympics. I still have her stats, lol. She became the first female skater in history to do two triple/triple combinations in the FS at the Olympics. Here's hoping Mao Asada also becomes the first female skater in history to complete two triple axels in the FS at the Olympics (not to mention I hope she also becomes the first female skater in history to complete a 3axel in the SP, she'll need it)!

Citius, Altius, Fortius

p.s. I can't wait to hear how Sasha Cohen does at her cheesefest as well tonight. :) What a beginning to the Olympic Season for all the skaters, it's finally here.

FINALLY A POSITIVE REVIEW!

Also, I think it's reasonable to predict that she'll build towards the Olympics. After all, it took her 5 events before finally blossoming at her 6th (the World Team Trophy) last year. With the Japan Open as the extra match this year, I wouldn't be surprised if she peaks at Olympics, which should also be her 6th (JO,TEB,CoR,GPF,Nationals,Olympics).

MKFSfan

Medalist
Ladies are limited to attempting only 7 triples. You have 1 too many in this case with your proposed jump layout for Mao, and she would receive no credit at all for the 8th triple.

I don't think this is true. Ladies are allowed 7 jumping passes, one that must be an axle (I think only in the SP do the Ladies have to do a 2ax), and can only repeat 2 triples, one must be in combo. So, as Blades if Ice said, Mao could very well do:

3ax
3flip/3lp
3sal
2axle OR 2ax/3toe OR 3toe solo
3flip OR 3flip/3toe (can't do this combo if she does the 2a/3t OR solo 3toe)
3lz/2lp/2lp
3lp

This way, she is doing all 7 triples, maxing out the numbers of triples allowed (8).

I think Mao would be wise to repeat the loop and flip, arguably her best jumps.

If she misses the 3ax but hits the 3flip/3lp, she can then do a 2ax instead of solo 3lp.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Correct - 7 jumping passes, no more than 3 combination/sequences, only one of which may contain 3 jumps, one jumping pass must be an Axel type jump (1A, 2A, 3A), no more than 2 repeated triples.

antmanb

Record Breaker

That's not quite right - the ladies are limited to doing 7 jumping passes (rather than triples) one of which must be an axel jump, three of which may be combinations or sequences a maximum of one of those can including 3 jumps.

So bascially if a female skater can do all 6 different take offs as triples and can do a 3/3 combination she can do 8 triples in total, the Zayak rule being the one that needs to be considered.

Ant

EDIT: i see others pointed it out first!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for correcting me. I knew it was a maximum of 7 jumping passes, but I've never seen a woman attempt 8 triples in competition. Interesting! It would be energy draining, but I wonder why none of them take advantage of attempting 8 triples if it is allowed/possible to do so. The most I've ever seen attempted is 7 triples by a lady.

I just looked at the ISU rule book, pg. 100, and it states that:

"A well balanced Free Skating program for Ladies must contain:
- a maximum of 7 jump elements (one of which must be an Axel type jump);
- a maximum of 3 spins, one of which must be a spin combination, one a flying spin, and one a spin with only one position;
- maximum of 1 step sequence"

Source: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-191593-208816-140518-0-file,00.pdf

Page 100 - 103 give further details on what is allowed in the LP.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This way, she is doing all 7 triples, maxing out the numbers of triples allowed (8).

I think this is my reason for confusion. I don't believe I've ever seen stated in the ISU rule book where the maximum of triples allowed is 8 for the ladies. And again, if so allowed, why has no lady ever attempted 8 triples in a LP?