Japan Open | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

oxade21

Match Penalty
I liked the second half of Mao's program, after the spiral sequence. It's the first half that really looks like the masquerade again. I thought her step sequence was probably the most creative step in the CoP. I just hate the mouth gap.

The first half is too packed with jumps to bother with intricacies.

On a side note, I do not blame TAT and Mao for trying so hard as she really need to put something extraordinary to beat Yu-Na at this stage. I guess that's the way they are trying to do so.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Why should we excuse a program just because the jumps aren't there? IMO, jumps alone shouldn't make up an entire program. There needs to be a cohesive, clear theme and that's where choreographing in between the jumps comes in. Look at Laura's FS. Her program was marred with erred jumps, but it was still a good, enjoyable program. Her jumps didn't define her program.

If a program is good only if the jumps are there, that tells us there is a lot of choreography in between the jumps that is missing.

Well, Laura does not plan 2 3As back-to-back within one minute. So you can't rally compare two choreographies.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Having read this thread (reg Mao's new program), I was prepared for the worst. I agree with those who say the music's heavy. This kind of music plays in movies when someone's about to die painfully / get killed, while Mao is still a Bambi.

But for the rest the program is OK, IMO. Nothing really special, not a disaster either.

berrycute

On the Ice
I am v. surprised at what I am reading! I LOVED the new Mao program! The way that music builds to an almighty climax was breathtaking. I am very excited for this coming season. On the other hand, I was a bit disappointed with Laura's new program. In that red dress she is one foxy mama but she managed to pick the most pedestrian, bloodless rendition of Adios Nonino I have ever heard. Some of it sounded like a mobile phone ringtone. But I'll agree with everyone on one thing, Joannie was v. good here.

herios

Medalist
Wow, Joannie was strong. I think we really have to watch out for Joannie this year.:love:

Not quite sure why are you surprised, Did you think Rochette's good form last year was only a glitch?

She became one of the main contenders for the Olympic podium and she just picked it up this year where she left it last year. A logical continuation in her evolution as an athlete.

gourry

Final Flight
:)Obviously some of those comments really lowered my expectation.
I think Mao's program is not that bad. It seems a lot better than the first showing of her last LP which I really didn't care for at all.
There are much more choreographic moves IMO.

I wonder though, what was that choreography after her 1A? Was she slapping her face??

And I really love Joannie's! :love:

And I agree with the poster who said Yukari took the theme Firebird too literal. Oh well.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott. Why so cautiously and studiously?! Well, he said in that fluff before stepping onto the ice, the program is too new to him and he has to think a lot in the process. So prob that's why. The 1st half is so generic, and the dark costume doesn't really help. There's interesting moves in his routine here and there though.

life684

Final Flight
Yukari needs to get rid of that costume, where did she get that. As for the program, :indiff:, so I hope she changes it.

As for Mao, I am unable to understand the amount of criticism leveled at this program:scowl:; yes she missed the triple axels but by no means the program is a wreck. The programs at the beginning of the season are usually very different to that at the World or Olympics, so this is no means an end product. Then again the step sequence was to die for. As for jumps, it is better to miss them here than miss at the end of the year.

Joannie skating usually remind me of Franka Dietzsh (they are not at all alike but Joannie had a macho style earlier) trying to skate. This has certainly changed that, well done for skating so well :clap:. But, has she peaked too early, I hope not.

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
The first half is too packed with jumps to bother with intricacies.

On a side note, I do not blame TAT and Mao for trying so hard as she really need to put something extraordinary to beat Yu-Na at this stage. I guess that's the way they are trying to do so.

I wasn't talking about front loading and lack of transitions. I was talking about how it literally looked like the the first half of the Masquerade FS:

3A
spread eagle
3a-2t
steps into 3F-2l-2l
spin
pose
spiral

Her new FS features all these elements again in the first half, except for the posing section and that the spread eagle sequence is much shorter.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
http://flvs.daum.net/flvPlayer.swf?flvPlayerType=dcinside&vid=fImFp0t4xqQ$

Mao's new LP with Masquerade music.. What a perfect sync..
Self plagiarism? lol

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Well, Laura does not plan 2 3As back-to-back within one minute. So you can't rally compare two choreographies.
Of course everyone is going to have different jumps. It's how the jumps are laid out throughout the program and what comes in between the jumps that make the program. That's my point. We shouldn't have to excuse a program just because it has harder jumps.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
http://flvs.daum.net/flvPlayer.swf?flvPlayerType=dcinside&vid=fImFp0t4xqQ$

Mao's new LP with Masquerade music.. What a perfect sync..
Self plagiarism? lol

What? :scratch:

Anyways, Joannie's new LP looks superb--she's definitely chomping at the bit for an Olympic medal.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Mao's program has potential. I would even call it a choreographic masterpiece.
IF skated clean with all jumps landed, she could beat clean Yu-Na. I guess the boring impression come from the fact that it was not skated well tonight. But in Vancouver, this will be the program to remember if nailed.

I love, love, love the choreography, the music and the way Mao has totally blossomed expression-wise. She now tops Yu-na (in my opinion) with expression and use of the choreography. My concern is with the jumps. Not only that she fell and then popped two jumps. Everybody has off days. She and Tatianna have the exact same layout as last season, which I don't think was successful layout at all. She really should be trying one lutz and please bring back a 3/3. She can't beat yu-na without it.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I love, love, love the choreography, the music and the way Mao has totally blossomed expression-wise. She now tops Yu-na (in my opinion) with expression and use of the choreography

Mao is better but she doesn't top Kim that department.

woshisunnya

Rinkside
I konw I am minor here but I found the thing I don't like about Mao's progamme is the choreography. I think Mao improve her Interpretation 100X from last season but the progamme still not work on me. I found it because the choreography, actully I don't feel a lot of choreography in this her lp. In my opinion, a good choreography programme is the moves with the music, elments relative to the music and I don't see much in this lp. The moves in Mao's lp are difficult, maybe too difficult that only a skater as strong as Mao can perform it, however, the moves still not relative to the music. It's just like the background music and if you plays some strong, heavy pieces it will also suit the movements in the progamme.

hauteor

On the Ice
I'm kinda new to figure skating, classical music I know like the back of my hand, having been glued to the piano since age 5. Rach is my GOD! Since I took an interest in figure skating I specifically started looking up all the programs that have ever been done to any of his music. I'm not a Mao fan, the first time I saw her was at the worlds and was completely put off by both her dress and music choice, but I changed my mind when I found out in the course of my research that she would be skating to one of my most beloved peaces ever.

Now-I am a Rachmaninov-freak, if you check my I-Pod the playback amount of some of his peaces are closing up on the 1000 mark. I know every measure of almost everything he's ever written by heart. The peace Mao skated to is by no means a Rachmaninov. Whoever did the orchestral transcription should be shot in the head!

The entire point of the peace is it's laconic melody which culminates in pianistic virtuosity, at times you feel you could do with a third set of fingers! For one person with the one instrument, this sounds impressive, but in an orchestra that has the capacity to produce over 100 simultaneous voices this brilliance is lost just like poor Mao. "The bells of Moscow" was a name given to the peace by the western public, for the 19-year old Rach it was just a passionate peace where he could show off his technique. This orchestration is a catastrophe- the use of tuba and trombones as the main theme.... It was never composed to be bells but since it's such a popular misconception the theme could have at least been carried by instruments that resemble bells. GHHAAAD!

I don't even know what she skated like, I became blind when I heared this atrocity. I'll have to mute it and get back on the subject. Sorry for the rant...

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I'm kinda new to figure skating, classical music I know like the back of my hand, having been glued to the piano since age 5. Rach is my GOD! Since I took an interest in figure skating I specifically started looking up all the programs that have ever been done to any of his music. I'm not a Mao fan, the first time I saw her was at the worlds and was completely put off by both her dress and music choice, but I changed my mind when I found out in the course of my research that she would be skating to one of my most beloved peaces ever.

Now-I am a Rachmaninov-freak, if you check my I-Pod the playback amount of some of his peaces are closing up on the 1000 mark. I know every measure of almost everything he's ever written by heart. The peace Mao skated to is by no means a Rachmaninov. Whoever did the orchestral transcription should be shot in the head!

The entire point of the peace is it's laconic melody which culminates in pianistic virtuosity, at times you feel you could do with a third set of fingers! For one person with the one instrument, this sounds impressive, but in an orchestra that has the capacity to produce over 100 simultaneous voices this brilliance is lost just like poor Mao. "The bells of Moscow" was a name given to the peace by the western public, for the 19-year old Rach it was just a passionate peace where he could show off his technique. This orchestration is a catastrophe- the use of tuba and trombones as the main theme.... It was never composed to be bells but since it's such a popular misconception the theme could have at least been carried by instruments that resemble bells. GHHAAAD!

I don't even know what she skated like, I became blind when I heared this atrocity. I'll have to mute it and get back on the subject. Sorry for the rant...

It was rearranged for the purposes of skating program. Parts will be cut off, parts will be reordered. It's not about insulting Rachmaninoff. It's about fitting the needs of the skater. The orchestral version was specially commissioned with Tatiana overseeing the recording process. She probably had a specific vision/ auditory impression in mind.